View Poll Results: TR Astrotrain - worth buying?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 40.00%
  • Only if...

3 30.00%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not interested

3 30.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Titans Return Astrotrain and Darkmoon

Default Toy Review - Titans Return Astrotrain and Darkmoon

Or is it Dark-Moon?

I posted a pictorial review on my instagram, he's really neat, he's a retool (titan master) and repaint of Sentinel Prime.

Yes, I know the original character wasn't a head/target/power/micro master - I don't know why Hasbro TT keep on diluting your childhood memories, it's almost like they're a business trying to make money...

+ A new Astrotrain, at voyager scale!
    + Slick paint job - better than Sentinel's clashing red/orange scheme
    - No peg holes at either end of the train mode to plug in the guns (because it would be awwwesome.)

Anyhoo, do or do not like this figure at your leisure

Saw this toy at TRU and Kmart today and I must admit that it looks so much better as Astrotrain than Sentinel Prime. Obviously the mould was originally conceived to be Astrotrain, but just not having those loud hurt-my-eyes orange everywhere was a pleasant change.

Quote Originally Posted by SMHFConvoy View Post
    Yes, I know the original character wasn't a head/target/power/micro master - I don't know why Hasbro TT keep on diluting your childhood memories, it's almost like they're a business trying to make money...
    The Headmaster gimmick on traditionally non-Headmaster characters just doesn't do anything for me. #meh

Astrotrain has more paint on him than Sentinel and the advantage of not being bright orange so more of the detail is visible.

I've seen a few customs that use the comic colour scheme better

Lol, was going to post my own review thread tonight because I feel this guy is a bit of an unsung hero, even after already getting Sentinel I think this guy is a hidden gem.

Initially seeign the pics of his train mode I was a bit "WTF is that meant to be" but it grew on me, especially in light of other similar Cybertronian trains like Energon Omega Supreme (who coincidentally was also a headmaster...!). But also, when I compare him to the original classics Astrotrain train mode, that's...not much better, if at all. At least this one doesn't attempt to be anything other than a rolling slab of sci-fi death. The old one is a lame attempt at an earth mode and suffers for it.

Shuttle mode is pretty good in it's own right. Again, some people are miffed that it's cybertronian but I think it looks pretty cool, and the colours help sell it for me.

Robot mode is where he shines. Suddenly all the details invisible on Sentinel are really clear, and they're sweet. It looks like Astrotrain, imposing, a little awkward and dumb as bricks. The headscult is spot on, and let down only by being a mask tacked onto a fetal position.

Compare him to his poor old ancestor, and...well...it's a bit sad really...

For those intested in silly things like this, here's how the weigh up next to each other...definitely getting lighter...

Here's where it gets interesting with Astrotrain vs Sentinel. Apart from the face, there is no resculpting whatsoever that I can find - even the Titan Masters are the same. The colours make all the difference. Besides that, I still transform them slightly diffently to each to differentiate them:

Anyway, I was really on the fence about him but happy I bit the bullet in the end. A really good update that brings him into scale with Blitzwing, Sandstorm and Springer. Here's hoping Broadside and Octane kick ass too.

Oh! One really annoying thing about both Sentinel and Astrotrain is the placement of the product stamp, right on top of the train cab. It was a bit more invisible on Sentinel, but it's clear-as-day on Astrotrain...

I was on the fence about this one as I have Henkei Astrotrain but this is a great toy IMO. Happy I picked him up.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Too gray for me. I'll pass. Plus Sentinel is the more interesting character.

I just can't get past that 'train' mode...
    TF Figs of 2023:
    1) WnR Springer
    2) Legacy Bludgeon
    3) Legacy Leo Prime/Nemesis Leo Prime.

How stable is sentinel with the train feet?

Quote Originally Posted by Sutton View Post
    Oh! One really annoying thing about both Sentinel and Astrotrain is the placement of the product stamp, right on top of the train cab. It was a bit more invisible on Sentinel, but it's clear-as-day on Astrotrain...
    Have you tried using rubbing alcohol and a cotton tip to remove it?