Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime Discussion Thread

My daughter's started watching the original Super Dimensional Fortress Macross series. She finds it really bizarre whenever characters randomly say a few things in English (e.g. "Yes sir!") even though the rest of the dialogue is in Japanese.

Today my daughter was watching the 3rd and 2nd last episodes of Macross. In the former, ("Private Time") there's the scene where Misa is waiting for Hikaru on their date, and she finds a dog. When the owner calls to the dog, she's standing in front of a store marked "ADALT TOY." It's weird... I must have seen the dub version of this episode in Robotech heaps of times as a youngin'... did Harmony Gold censor it out, or did I just always miss it?

I don't own any Robotech eps anymore, but just curious if anyone here does, if they could just check that scene! I might post a screen grab later.

Apparently they didn't censor it? This screen grab is from "Robotech" by it's title

http://i.imgur.com/93tZTBs.png

Hahahahaha, thanks for the indulgence. That's hilarious, although having seen Robotech and Macross so many times, I've never noticed it till now (it's taken me this long to realise what the hell "adalt" means ), so I guess the censorship wasn't really needed.

For anyone who was waiting for it, Evangelion 3.33: You Can (Not) Redo is finally available at Australian retail. I got a copy today at JB Hi-Fi.

i've got the robotech collection dvd set somewhere in the garage i think, i'll have to get it out soon. i had no idea for years that the 3 robotech series were completely different and unrelated, i kinda assumed it was just a western language version of the original!

for the macross experts, what's a good macross movie or series to watch? i think there is a whole bunch of em isn't there?

Yeah I was also one of those who grew up on Robotech not knowing it was a compilation of three different shows. It was actually quite clever how they wove it together and funny just how similar people piloting mecha shows could be.

A lot of purists will scoff at the Robotech brand but in the end it was an iconic series which brought anime to the attention of many unaware people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    A lot of purists will scoff at the Robotech brand but in the end it was an iconic series which brought anime to the attention of many unaware people.
    Exactly! And not to mention how good the music was! Even as a kid, I knew the music composed was absolutely top notch!

A couple of my favourite tunes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djK9ZXkG6lA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbdZNHG-iSE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvXTC7LeIMI

Quote Originally Posted by philby View Post
    i've got the robotech collection dvd set somewhere in the garage i think, i'll have to get it out soon. i had no idea for years that the 3 robotech series were completely different and unrelated, i kinda assumed it was just a western language version of the original!

for the macross experts, what's a good macross movie or series to watch? i think there is a whole bunch of em isn't there?
    yeah i love the robotech version better than the Japanese version of the show... cuase that what i watch when i was a kid and it was properly dubbed ... the dub version of macross was horrible !! lol

i recommend macross zero , macross plus and macross frontier ..watch the series first before the movies of frontier ....

And of cuase later around March Macross Delta will be out... the first epi preview is out , and im really looking forward to this new series .

Akky82 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by lancalot View Post
    yeah i love the robotech version better than the Japanese version of the show... cuase that what i watch when i was a kid and it was properly dubbed ... the dub version of macross was horrible !! lol

i recommend macross zero , macross plus and macross frontier ..watch the series first before the movies of frontier ....

And of cuase later around March Macross Delta will be out... the first epi preview is out , and im really looking forward to this new series .
    I'm the same, I've watched Macross proper, as well as Mospeada (also Orguss, what a ride), but now if I rewatch I go robotech for nostalgia and also the music, I have an extensive playlist for workout, and another for general listening and both have robotech tunes in them.

As for other macross, my fav is plus, but I've watched 7 nore time through than frontier (not just because it's older), i'll wait for delta to be finished before i binge the series/season. Older anime, i watched orguss just cos, I wanted to see the origin of some weird toys my brother had growing up, then also decided to start gundam from the start (0079), but having trouble getting through it, some of the characters are just ugh... (Kai, Amuro), might give up before I move on to Zeta/ZZ.

Other than that I binged s3 of Kuroko no Basuke after giving up on food wars and log horizon, then caught up from 693 to current in one piece and tried to get back into Bleach. But just nothing grabbing me atm, might try Gate.