Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (DEC-2013) Movie Era Toys - Reviews and Favourites

Default (DEC-2013) Movie Era Toys - Reviews and Favourites

December is Movies & Miscellaneous month, so you can either comment on the Movies or some other series that impressed you that wasn't featured as one of the Monthly themes.

Details of the Live Action Movies can be found here.

What are your Best and Worst toys of that era/series?

What was your first one, and when?

What ones are you currently most looking for and why?

Show us some pics of your collection of the ones you have.

-What are your Best and Worst toys of that era/series?
    Best: The ROTF Leader Optimus mould. Even with the finicky transformation, this should be in the top 3 Transformer toy of all time imho. The engineering and the screen accuracy in both modes are simply mind-blowing.
    Worst: Can't think of any off the top of my head. Some of the bad toys still had pretty decent engineering.

2007 movie Leader Optimus in about March 2007.

I'll probably get an APS Striker Prime if the price is right.

From my view point (non child) the toys were great. Ravage was bad because he didn't transform into anything, but looked cool as a cat. Some goes for scorponok. The Dr was crap in that Q/C issues with the legs were not addressed. Some of the voyager molds were great.

Cant remember

None. Selling all of mine.

Show us some pics of your collection of the ones you have
    They have been posted in the movie showcase thread.

Best... Optimus, Battle Blade Bumblebee
    Worst... Payload, Swindle

I bought a whole bunch at once, Optimus, Megatron, Ratchet, Ironhide, Blackout, Concept BB, Scorponok, Bonecrusher...

Pretty much have them all

Although the aesthetics of the robot modes may not be everyone's cube of Energon, one thing I've enjoyed about the film series toys overall are all the licensed vehicles and realistically Earth based vehicle modes, which really plays on the whole "robots in disguise" element of Transformers. Skids and Mudflap are hell annoying characters for sure, but it's pretty cool how they initially transformed into an ice cream truck, then later a pair of hatchbacks. Not some flashy sports car that would attract massive attention if they drove down the street, but relatively ordinary hatchbacks. And it did have the exotic sports cars too for people who are into that, and of course various military vehicles too.

Best: DOTM Jetwing Optimus Prime
    Worst: Combiner Class Failastator

TF1 Deluxe Jazz, 2007^Protoform Starscream & Optimus Prime

A proper Deluxe Class DOTM Dino^Mirage toy. Doesn't currently exist. (-_-)

Autobots

Decepticons
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 29th December 2013 at 04:11 PM.

Best: Leader Sentinel Prime, Ultimate BBee, Ultimate Optimus Prime, Voyager Long Haul, Voyager Bludgeon
    Worst: Some of the Fast Action Battlers like Ramjet and Frenzy. Ravage and Scoponok were pretty crap as in they really didn't transform into anything. The huge Devestator was a huge disappointment too.

Bought like a doz from the first movie when they hit store shelves so cant really remember. I do recall that Protoform Starscream and Optimus were amongst them.

Always keeping my eye out for a cheap DOTM HA Leadfoot and/or Soundwave

Sigh... as I sadly have to say every month, my collection is in storage, but here are some old shots.

Last edited by BigTransformerTrev; 29th December 2013 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Said 'Activators' instead of 'Fast Action Battlers'

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Worst: Some of the activators like Ramjet and Frenzy.
    Activator Ramjet and Frenzy??
    Ravage and Scoponok were pretty crap as in they really didn't transform into anything.
    Sure they did. Scorponok transformed into a dismal failure of a robot, and Ravage transformed into a - and this is the official title of his alt mode - re-entry! Don't ask me how it works as a re-entry mode considering that we _never_ saw Ravage even exit Earth's atmosphere in the film!
    The huge Devestator was a huge disappointment too.
    Devastatingly disappointing. The level of engineering is honestly hardly any better than a Happy Meal toy. There are PlaySkool Transformers who are better made. The Legends Class set was infinitely superior. Little wonder that the Combiner Class set shelfwarmed for so long and it will likely be continuing to sell for dirty cheap prices on the aftermarket. Well... not really sell. Just table warm at toy fairs.
    Bought like a doz from the first movie when they hit store shelves so cant really remember. I do recall that Protoform Starscream and Optimus were amongst them.
    Oh yeah that's right, the "Preview" series Protoforms did come out first, and I did indeed get them first. Oops. (fixes last post)

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Activator Ramjet and Frenzy??
    Sorry - 'Fast Action Battlers'

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Devastatingly disappointing. The level of engineering is honestly hardly any better than a Happy Meal toy. There are PlaySkool Transformers who are better made. The Legends Class set was infinitely superior. Little wonder that the Combiner Class set shelfwarmed for so long and it will likely be continuing to sell for dirty cheap prices on the aftermarket. Well... not really sell. Just table warm at toy fairs.

Once I took mine apart I could never get the hexagon pegs to slot back into their holes - any tips?

From a in Movie perspective (the ones that are based on movie characters): ROTF Leader Prime, HFTD Sidearms Sideswipe, ROTF Deluxe Sideways, DOTM Leader Ironhide, HFTD Leader Starscream . Honorable mention for DOTM Megatron (I want to see more Truck based Megatrons; a Leader would have been good)

From an expanded universe perspective: DOTM Skyhammer, ROTF Dirge, ROTF Mindwipe and Skystalker, HFTD Hubcap.

From a misplaced classics perspective: ROTF Bludgeon, HFTD Brakedown, MOV Fracture, DOTM Powerglide, ROTF Lockdown

Worst? Probably Scalpel. Easily broken and ridiculous. The big Devastator is an ugly thing and the lack of robot modes for the individual components was a disappointment (but meant I had no excuse to buy it)

Bumblebee and Barricade after stumbling upon them on shelf at a Target in L.A. in 2007, from their an early, street date breaking, release. Did mean I got one of the early Bumblebee's with the easily broken chest though.

None, I'm actively getting rid of some, giving them away literally. But I am sure I will be at Kmart in a few months time buying up AOE toys.

Sorry - 'Fast Action Battlers'
    Oh right. I don't think FABs are bad toys per se, considering that they're marketed at a younger market... the problem is that they were seriously overpriced (and not surprisingly pegwarmed). You stick say FAB and Deluxe Brawl on pegs for the same price and naturally kids are gonna choose the Deluxe figure. Those toys should've really been at least $10 cheaper.

Price aside, I thought most FABs were pretty ordinary, but I think Frenzy is pretty good. Frenzy was always going to be a design challenge; transforming from a chunky CD/stereo to a skinny robot, coupled with the additional challenge of making the toy relatively easier for younger kids, plus the CD/disc shooting gimmick (which is pretty cool and non-intrusive). And at least FAB Brawl didn't have the shoulder issues that Deluxe Brawl had.

Once I took mine apart I could never get the hexagon pegs to slot back into their holes - any tips?
    Not sure... I've never had any real problem recombining them.

RE: Legends Constructicons.
    I really wish they made Deluxe or Voyager Class toys for Overload and Scrapper. Scrapper is easily my favourite of the Legends Constructicons and he would've been an awesome Deluxe. Overload deserved a Voyager figure, and Hightower would work fine as a Deluxe IMHO. Also wish they made a Deluxe Hatchet too. Still... at least they had proper Legends toys, unlike poor Mirage. (redecoed Sideways =/= Mirage)