Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: DOTM - not excited? [possible spoils]

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    But even if you'd never heard of Transformers before seeing the movies, ROTF Prime still has a contradictory character shift from TF1 which doesn't seem to make sense.
    It doesn't need to make sense, the movie is about giant transforming robots.

What % of the movie goers would even compare primes character from the first movie to the second? I loved it - finally prime had the guts to get rid of a decepticon instead of sitting their waiting for the deception to finish talking and then let him make his escape for anyother day g1 style.

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post

ROTF is a weak film with little plot for profit purposes guys deal with it otherwise go be G1 Ultramagnus' drinking buddy.
    Hooray! Thread won.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullcruncher View Post
    It doesn't need to make sense, the movie is about giant transforming robots.
    *sigh* This is a big problem with Michael Bay's mentality -- seeing the Transformers as set pieces (re: giant transforming robots) rather than treating them as characters (which is what better TF writers like Simon Furman does).

Just because it's Transformers does NOT mean we should lower our expectations and excuse poorly written stories. Transformers has had a long history of excellent stories written for it (e.g. Target: 2006, Time Wars, Beast Wars, Last Stand of the Wreckers et al.). I can totally forgive changing certain things about Transformers to give it a mass-market appeal, fine... I get that. It's where Transformers: The Movie failed because it was too fan-centric. But having a broad appeal doesn't mean you have to make it "mindless."

There are plenty of other fantasy/scifi franchises out there which have been adapted to movies and been successful in the mainstream while still being fairly true to the spirit of that franchise (e.g. Lord of the Rings, X-Men, The Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter etc.). And I think the first Transformers movie succeeded in doing this... for the most part it did capture the spirit of the G1 cartoon quite well. But I thought that ROTF started straying away from this, and I would personally like to see DOTM go back to this.

What % of the movie goers would even compare primes character from the first movie to the second? I loved it - finally prime had the guts to get rid of a decepticon instead of sitting their waiting for the deception to finish talking and then let him make his escape for anyother day g1 style.
    Oh yes, because killing a HELPLESS defeated foe is totally courageous. (-_-)
    Make his escape?? He was incapacitated. He was in no condition to leg it - and probably would have died from his wounds, thus killing him straight away might have been more merciful (and if so, this should have been stated - as it was in the comic adaptation of ROTF, which I believe was written by Furman IIRC).

What you're talking about is more like what Dai Atlas did in Transformers Zone. Dai Atlas would cut down Decepticons rather than letting them escape and come back another day.

Hooray! Thread won.
    Yay, not having standards makes everything feel better!

*sigh* This is a big problem with Michael Bay's mentality -- seeing the Transformers as set pieces (re: giant transforming robots) rather than treating them as characters (which is what better TF writers like Simon Furman does).

Oh yes, because killing a HELPLESS defeated foe is totally courageous. (-_-)
    Make his escape?? He was incapacitated. He was in no condition to leg it - and probably would have died from his wounds, thus killing him straight away might have been more merciful (and if so, this should have been stated - as it was in the comic adaptation of ROTF, which I believe was written by Furman IIRC).
    *sigh* here comes the blame Michael Bay train again.

if the writers had wanted prime to show mercy there was plenty of time for them to add something in.

Yay, not having standards makes everything feel better!
    Its more like some 'fans' take transformers way too seriously. Like it or dont like it - Harping on about something is not going to change it.

Sooo, to answer the top of the thread, love and hate, aspects of the last two movies, I'm still pumped for number 3. there will probably be bits I don't like but It's still Transformers and with that there is always great potential, you never know, maybe this time Michael Bay picked up on some feedback from the last one.

I'm keen. Hasbro is certainly excited about it.