Thread: Transformers Vs 3P Pricing

Default Transformers Vs 3P Pricing

Are you willing to spend more on a 3p piece but not spend that same amount on a transformer figure?

Do you compare both official and 3P as equal or do you allow 3P figures to increase their price because they are not big commercial entity like Hastak?

I was only thinking about this earlier with the Dream Factory Movie Jetfire and the Takara 10th ANNIVERSARY Jetfire. From what I’ve seen, they seem to be the same price. Based on that, I’d go with Takara (for resale value) but unsure what the differences are between the 2 as yet.
    Generally, I think it all depends on the figures themselves though. I avoid any 3P CHUG stuff as there’s plenty to choose from HasTak and cheaper (even if the 3P looks better). I only buy 3P MP style because Takara hasn’t made that character (eg..Downbeat, FT Phoenix).

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

For me I buy toys not for value rather on engineering and quality.

My issue is Takara is a mixed bag at standard low quality material.
    I loved Binaltech, I don't enjoy masterpiece as much . But masterpiece engineering seems to be there on point. Is a shame they are let down on the quality of the product.

Third party is questionable these days, like as much as I like Fantoys, they also dropped standards in some pieces which is a shame as well.

I be quite frank, there is hardly any value in any of these toys even Takara masterpiece. They reissue and the only so call valuable ones are the non market mainstream ones like the 7/11 mp-10 or bape.

3p prices are just driven by demand and stock availability. Their value is not really looked upon as they aren't official products and some people frown on them.

Mp-39 sunstreaker is a good mp and in many ways one of the best if not the best car bot.

I can't really justify price for the dinobot mp or Megatron in some cases. But that's my feelings for it. I do understand if people like those more.

When I compare to other toys I collect, they have higher details and paint which I enjoy.

As it stands for me, there isn't a proper painted mp-10 Optimus that wowed me.

hasbro is making "toys" under toy industry standard/rules, 3p companies are making Transformers under fans/community standards. So for Hasbro, hollow legs is not as bad as cost exceeding budget.

This is why fans always think official toys are not "good enough".

As for price, Hasbro's price is based on how much parents will spend money for their kids, 3p's price is based on how much an adult fan will spend money for themselevs. Fans are willing to pay more for their special needs, therefore 3p companies are free to increase the price and delivery fans need.

So on the opposite of many others, my main goal is collect/focus on 3p and 4p toys only when officials (occasionally) better than 3p, for example, MP Inferno/Grapple. MP Megatron beats all 3p versions but I went for KO ones for cost and quality reason.

Masterpiece is collectors grade though. I never understood why the cutting corners in quality as I would pay top dollar for a real masterpiece like mp-1.

Look at wheeljack at compare to sunstreaker, what a difference. The white plastic is Just crap looking. Just hold your Binaltech and compare with the early masterpiece cars. They can't beat it.

The licensing debate is a joke, you have toyworld and maketoys making jazz and just don't care.

Where Takara stands now, I am mostly not buying their toys anymore. Not to mention hasbro is worse.

I missed Takara golden age where their toys were solid.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    Masterpiece is collectors grade though. I never understood why the cutting corners in quality as I would pay top dollar for a real masterpiece like mp-1.

Look at wheeljack at compare to sunstreaker, what a difference. The white plastic is Just crap looking. Just hold your Binaltech and compare with the early masterpiece cars. They can't beat it.

The licensing debate is a joke, you have toyworld and maketoys making jazz and just don't care.

Where Takara stands now, I am mostly not buying their toys anymore. Not to mention hasbro is worse.

I missed Takara golden age where their toys were solid.
    Re Sunstreaker v Wheeljack, I do get the impression with the recent MP releases that there is less of a focus on keeping price low with the recent releases. Sunstreaker, Megatron and the upcoming Dinobot (seemingly) are obscenely feature rich and very well engineered, especially compared to the earlier releases from the soft relaunch of the MP line with Optimus Prime and Starscream 2.0 six years ago.

As an adult collector it is an approach I do appreciate.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

They are not keeping the price low, they are however cutting corners on a lot to earn max profit.

For me price is worth every cent if the quality is right. Unfortunately several masterpiece have been lacking. Even Megatron, the paint job is poorly done. Look at people having the reissue run. I take my Fantoys springer and have transformed it a few times and the paint is still intact.