• Only if (something else)

1 4.35%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not interested

2 8.70%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - PotP Leader Optimus Prime

I've come around on this figure and I'm going to get him. While he's not perfect, neither is the much loved Henkei Convoy I have on my shelf now in the Optimus Prime position. Only problem will be finding him at a reasonable price since most cheaper places in Australia don't stock leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Optimus Prime has a dual rocket back pack.

As the orion pax knees looks like rockets

I like everything about this figure except for the truck cab. It just infuriates me. If the concessions to it were made for a reason that were critical for the other modes then I'd give it a pass, but they're not. Not in any way. The arms flailing out the back with nowhere to go is just terrible design work.

Essentially they've prioritised Orion Pax having rounded arms over the truck mode being complete. If Orion's arm design had been more squared, it would have been possible to make the arms transform further in some way. The chest panel just sits there too.

If Orion Pax isn't important to you and the truck mode is, then there's some scope to improve the look of the truck by removing his arms altogether (either at the shoulder or elbow), this cleans up and 'squares' the truck much better. However, there's still the ugliness of Orion's chest flap and head just sitting there, which is needed for the trailer hitch. The look of the inside of the chest flap could be improved by painting it blue colour-matched to the legs, and likewise I've seen some good improvements to the cab on TFW where chrome has been added to the wheels and window edges. Obviously, removing the arms too often will loosen the joints on Orion over time.

Apart from that big sook, I overall really like this figure though! All the other concessions are worth it for what is one of the most heroic-looking Optimus figures we've ever had.

But that's exactly the thing with this toy. It's an "Evolution" figure so they are going to pour more attention to Orion Pax and then work on that as the base so that he "evolves" into Optimus Prime. I often describe these Evolution Leader figures as Jack of All Master of None figures. They are quite ambitious and limited to a Leader Class budget/price point as mass retail toys. If you're not a fan of the Evolution gimmick and you just want a nice looking Orion Pax and Optimus Prime toy, then I'd recommend sticking with the existing Generations Orion Pax and another CHUG Optimus Prime toy (e.g. Voyager, TR etc.). As nice as I think this toy is, this is why I'm personally not interested in buying it. I have plenty of other CHUG OPs and I have Generations Orion Pax. I don't need Evolution Optimus Prime. And definitely avoid Rodimus Prime if you found Optimus Prime to be disappointing. I expect that upcoming Evolution figures like Optimus Primal/Optimal Optimus will be in the same vein, and I'm planning on skipping that toy too. I already have all of the original Optimus Primal toys and I don't feel the need to have an Optimus Primal who can transform into Optimal Optimus. In all honestly I mainly got POTP Rodimus Prime because he is the first and currently only CHUG Rodimus Prime toy around. I have other CHUG Hot Rods, but not a Rod. Prime.

Still, I think that this Optimus Prime mould's not too bad. I'd consider getting the Nemesis Prime redeco.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    But that's exactly the thing with this toy. It's an "Evolution" figure so they are going to pour more attention to Orion Pax and then work on that as the base so that he "evolves" into Optimus Prime. I often describe these Evolution Leader figures as Jack of All Master of None figures. They are quite ambitious and limited to a Leader Class budget/price point as mass retail toys. If you're not a fan of the Evolution gimmick and you just want a nice looking Orion Pax and Optimus Prime toy, then I'd recommend sticking with the existing Generations Orion Pax and another CHUG Optimus Prime toy (e.g. Voyager, TR etc.). As nice as I think this toy is, this is why I'm personally not interested in buying it. I have plenty of other CHUG OPs and I have Generations Orion Pax. I don't need Evolution Optimus Prime. And definitely avoid Rodimus Prime if you found Optimus Prime to be disappointing. I expect that upcoming Evolution figures like Optimus Primal/Optimal Optimus will be in the same vein, and I'm planning on skipping that toy too. I already have all of the original Optimus Primal toys and I don't feel the need to have an Optimus Primal who can transform into Optimal Optimus. In all honestly I mainly got POTP Rodimus Prime because he is the first and currently only CHUG Rodimus Prime toy around. I have other CHUG Hot Rods, but not a Rod. Prime.

Still, I think that this Optimus Prime mould's not too bad. I'd consider getting the Nemesis Prime redeco.
    Yeah, don't get me wrong - I overall really like this figure, probably more than it deserves. The bot mode is such a nice powerful representation of the character, and the gappy weirdly-colored trailer is suprisingly not too bad. Just that mess at the back of the truck is so bad - it's like all the other wiggles are 3/10 on the irritation scale, but those arms are 10/10.

But like I said, if Orion Pax isn't a big deal to you, just rip em off and chuck them in your 'customs part box' - improves the truck mode quite a lot and doesn't change the main Optimus mode at all.

With G1 we had the original OP followed by Power Master Optimus. In other words an upgrade.

But with the Prime Wars Trilogy, we have PM Optimus coming out first followed by POTP Optimus. Despite the excellent Orion Pax feature, I find this Optimus anti-climactic. It's best to pass on this one.

Picked up a Prime today at Myer for 20% off. Unfortunately Orion Pax has two left forearms and hands, and hips that pop off as soon as you touch them. So I'll be taking him back this afternoon.

Optimus Prime is gorgeous, Orion Pax is pretty good, trailer is alright, truck is poor. Pretty much what everyone else said. I just don't think that Prime can carry the other three modes.

This was the POTP figure I was most keen for, and he didn't disappoint.
    My favourite non-movie OP I've got, both for its size, look and design-MP10 has always been a bit too much for me, and this guy fills that hole very well.
    Have little desire for the Orion Pax mode but it's nice, and I think the truck is fine, even if the back is a little weird-but I don't display in vehicle mode so doesn't bother me at all!
    At full retail I still think it's highly worth it!

I picked one up yesterday. Orion's left leg pops off the ball joint as soon as you move it. The right leg is perfect. Will have to take it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurmus View Post
    I picked one up yesterday. Orion's left leg pops off the ball joint as soon as you move it. The right leg is perfect. Will have to take it back.
    Mine did the same... but I have no issues when he is in Optimus mode