Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gasaraki's Transformers Classics - Photography, Reviews, & Musings

Default RTS Scout Windcharger

I got this little guy quite a while after initial release - just earlier this year actually. I had always kinda ignored any figures smaller than Deluxe class up until now, but when I was trying to see what G1 figures I hadn't yet rustled up from Classics/Universe, I was surprised to see that Windcharger had only been put out as a scout. So eBay it is I turned to, and fortunately got him at a pretty reasonable price ($12 MOSC I think).

I like the update that he's been treated to... a good muscle car looking mode and very fair robot mode, with hands that can swap around to cannons as a nice feature. No real complaints about the car mode, as I don't think you can expect much more than rolling wheels really - even among Deluxe figures opening doors are not standard at all.

As for robot mode, I have to add the proviso that I don't own many Scout class figures so don't have a big range to compare with, but I do like the figure overall. Sure, he's got obvious kibble especially at the back, and some missing articulation (e.g. waist, wrists). However, several well placed ball-joints and aforementioned cannon features make him a very likable little guy.

Ratings:
    Character importance 3/10 - Many minor appearances in G1 seasons 1 & 2, but passing fans might ask 'Who's Windcharger?'
    Toy 7/10 - Definite weaknesses, but I like the update they've done. A pity there hasn't been a Deluxe treatment.
    Last edited by Gasaraki; 12th May 2013 at 06:45 PM.
    Recent acquisitions: SS Leader Blackout & Deluxe Starscream, & FP Pinchar (Snarl)!
    Upcoming: SS Voyager OP, Megs, Brawl & Ironhide!
    Wishlist: Voyager Astrotrain & Octane (Thank you Hasbro!), Modern Dinobots (Thank you FP!)

Perth WAtch - YouTube - Sharing my passion for watches & horology
    Perth TransFan - YouTube - Sharing my interest in all things Transformers!

I think Windcharger's fantastic for his size and price point. The Scouts were certainly much better value than today's Commander Class! (who are dearer and smaller ). And I like Windcharger as a Scout Class because it makes him feel more like a Mini-Bot compared to Deluxe Class Jazz, Smokescreen etc. I wish all the Mini-Bots (including Bumblebee) would've been done as Scouts and Autobot Cars as Deluxes, with boxed toys being reserved for traditionally larger than Autobot Car figures like Optimus Prime, Jetfire etc. Ah well... ship's already sailed on that one... but yeah, I miss the Scout Class. They gave us some really nice figures in that range.

Quote Originally Posted by Gasaraki View Post
    So eBay it is I turned to, and fortunately got him at a pretty reasonable price ($12 MOSC I think).
    That is a good price. The RRP for Scouts here is $15. Kmart did mark Windcharger down to $7 cos he was a pegwarmer, but $12 is still definitely a good price to pay.

I like the update that he's been treated to... a good muscle car looking mode and very fair robot mode, with hands than can swap around to cannons as a nice feature.
    They're meant to be his electromagnets. Windcharger's original G1 tech specs state, "Casts powerful magnetic field which can attract or repel large metal objects." - so basically he's like Magneto from the X-Men. The G1 comics showed him simply casting it from his hands (again, like Magneto - little wonder considering it was Marvel ), but the G1 cartoon showed his hands transforming into these "magnetic guns" that he would use to project tractor beams. Windcharger also casts his electromagnetic field from his hands in the IDW comics too.

Thanks for the great comments.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I think Windcharger's fantastic for his size and price point. The Scouts were certainly much better value than today's Commander Class! (who are dearer and smaller ). And I like Windcharger as a Scout Class because it makes him feel more like a Mini-Bot compared to Deluxe Class Jazz, Smokescreen etc. I wish all the Mini-Bots (including Bumblebee) would've been done as Scouts and Autobot Cars as Deluxes, with boxed toys being reserved for traditionally larger than Autobot Car figures like Optimus Prime, Jetfire etc. Ah well... ship's already sailed on that one... but yeah, I miss the Scout Class. They gave us some really nice figures in that range.
    Oh yes, I do think the Scout size had a nice Minibot-ish feel to them. The big preference problem for me is scale of course... they just don't look 'right' sitting next to a Deluxe that's also supposed to be a car (applies to the original Minibot vs. Car scaling too, naturally). That's just a preference of course, since the question of scale becomes totally ludicrous when you have things like an F-15 and space shuttle also in Deluxe size!

They're meant to be his electromagnets. Windcharger's original G1 tech specs state, "Casts powerful magnetic field which can attract or repel large metal objects." - so basically he's like Magneto from the X-Men. The G1 comics showed him simply casting it from his hands (again, like Magneto - little wonder considering it was Marvel ), but the G1 cartoon showed his hands transforming into these "magnetic guns" that he would use to project tractor beams. Windcharger also casts his electromagnetic field from his hands in the IDW comics too.
    That's some awesome insight dude... you know your stuff. I have a pretty good memory overall, but I didn't remember that bit about Windcharger! I also remember a scene where he cast his EM field whilst in car mode (?), so who needs transforming hands?

I never read the early comics... perhaps I should some day, but have always found it hard going back decades considering the style and print-quality we enjoy these days.
    Recent acquisitions: SS Leader Blackout & Deluxe Starscream, & FP Pinchar (Snarl)!
    Wishlist: Voyager Astrotrain & Octane (Thank you Hasbro!), Modern Dinobots (Thank you FP!)

Default G1 1984 Mini-Cars / Mini-Bots

Ahh... the mini-cars. So much nostalgia in these little guys. Bumblebee has eclipsed all others in prominence, but I have much fondness for all of them, even the ones with not much screen-time in the original cartoons. Admittedly though, the toys are quite laughable when I look back at what I played with!

As mentioned before... I currently aim at completing a collection of updates to the G1 roster. Obviously there are some annoying 'holes' still left despite 7 years since Classics debuted, but there are some alternatives in filling almost every character. Here are my thoughts on what may satisfy as an update to the six 1984 mini-bots:

Bumblebee:
    Classics deluxe - the obvious choice but...
    Generations deluxe - I'm liking the look of this!

Cliffjumper:
    Classics deluxe - once again, obvious but...
    Generations deluxe (GDO) - Again, I think it's a great alternative!
    I have all four of these (Generations 'bee on pre-order), but will likely stick to Classics for my shelf for now.
    I'm keen to know if anyone prefers 3rd party offers i.e. Art Feather and iGear.

Brawn:
    The Universe legends version is just too small for me... so I've gone for:
    iGear Hench - I actually really like how G1 they made it, and have enjoyed him a lot. Can't fault the quality, at least in the one I got.

Gears:
    iGear Cogz is the only one I can think of, still on pre-order.
    There are ROTF versions of Brawn & Gears but they just really really don't fit IMO.

Windcharger:
    RTS Scout is the only choice I know of really - a very nice figure which I personally would've preferred in deluxe size.
    He's got a fantastic Binaltech (OK Overdrive... I call him Windcharger), but once again, doesn't fit.

Huffer:
    Now this one is quite interesting... I've have to settle for:
    PCC Huffer, which I am really quite happy with. He is G1 enough for me, with several design cues that clearly harken to G1.
    If you're lucky enough to have Timelines Huffer (BotCon 2007), would love to hear what you think of that figure.
    iGear Rager is very faithful homage, but again, too small for me!

Interesting thoughts Gasaraki,
    I wish I'd picked up the classics cliffjumper years ago, it's pretty much the only early classics figure I'm missing but I can't justify the crazy aftermarket prices for him.

Given the attention classics has been getting for a while, I think we'll see updates to pretty much all g1 characters and toys in the next few years. at least I hope so.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Aaah, the bad old days when Hasbro felt that simply repainting Bumblebee in red made him Cliffjumper <shudder>; it greatly annoyed long time G1 fans who remember seeing the original G1 Bumblebee in both yellow and red (as well as G1 Cliffjumper in both colours too). I've replaced the head on my Classics Cliffjumper w/ that of Generations Cliffjumper (and Gen. Cliffjumper remains in vehicle mode; I pretty much bought that toy to salvage the head ). The head's a different shade of red, but it sure beats staring at a red Bumblebee! (plus Gen. Cliffjumper's 5mm weapon post is compatible w/ Classics Cliffjumper's fist! )

Ahh... the mini-cars. So much nostalgia in these little guys. Bumblebee has eclipsed all others in prominence, but I have much fondness for all of them, even the ones with not much screen-time in the original cartoons. Admittedly though, the toys are quite laughable when I look back at what I played with!
    Yeah but don't forget that:
    A) The G1 mini-cars came out in 1984, by the standards of their day they weren't bad.
    B) They only cost $1.99 each (and you got the 1c change back in those days! #CopperCoins) - the Classicsverse counterparts may be superior, but they came 22+ years later and they cost at least $25 each!

As mentioned before... I currently aim at completing a collection of updates to the G1 roster. Obviously there are some annoying 'holes' still left despite 7 years since Classics debuted, but there are some alternatives in filling almost every character. Here are my thoughts on what may satisfy as an update to the six 1984 mini-bots:

Windcharger:
    RTS Scout is the only choice I know of really - a very nice figure which I personally would've preferred in deluxe size.
    He's got a fantastic Binaltech (OK Overdrive... I call him Windcharger), but once again, doesn't fit.
    It was an odd decision to try and make BT Overdrive into Alt Windcharger considering that the toy was a deliberate and excellent homage to Overdrive. No surprise that it looks nothing like Windcharger. That's why I'm glad that I got BT Overdrive and not ALT Windcharger-who's-not-quite-Windcharger-who-was-meant-to-be-Overdrive-but-he's-Windcharger (#hurtmybrain )

A) The G1 mini-cars came out in 1984, by the standards of their day they weren't bad.
    B) They only cost $1.99 each (and you got the 1c change back in those days! #CopperCoins) - the Classicsverse counterparts may be superior, but they came 22+ years later and they cost at least $25 each!
    Comparing them (BB, CJ, Cosmos, Brawn, Warpath, Wheelie) to their updated Legends/Legion counterparts rather than their oversized versions, a BB that cost $2 back in '84 would cost you roughly $5.60-$6 today. The Legends retailed for $7. It's all personal taste, but I prefer the Legends class instead of their bigger versions to create a scale similar to their G1 toys.
    Last edited by Sinnertwin; 28th May 2013 at 04:49 PM.

For G1 bumblebee ...and your not worry about 3rd party issue then i recommend the art feather one..a very good g1 likeness.. and he in scale well with the Mp line ...that why i like him ..

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    Comparing them (BB, CJ, Cosmos, Brawn, Warpath, Wheelie) to their updated Legends/Legion counterparts rather than their oversized versions, a BB that cost $2 back in '84 would cost you roughly $5.60-$6 today. The Legends retailed for $7. It's all personal taste, but I prefer the Legends class instead of their bigger versions to create a scale similar to their G1 toys.
    Yeah but you're also looking at 25-30 years' difference in engineering. For the equivalent of "30 year old Legion Class toys," I think the G1 Mini Bots are reasonably well made. Except for Wheelie. He sucks, even by G1 standards.

I've replaced the head on my Classics Cliffjumper w/ that of Generations Cliffjumper (and Gen. Cliffjumper remains in vehicle mode; I pretty much bought that toy to salvage the head ). The head's a different shade of red, but it sure beats staring at a red Bumblebee! (plus Gen. Cliffjumper's 5mm weapon post is compatible w/ Classics Cliffjumper's fist! )
    So it fits! I had been wondering that... although hadn't researched too much into it. I got the Generations one MOSC sitting around... will have to try it when I get around to open it. I kinda also had in mind swapping the head when I bought the dude. Does the Classics head look any good on the Generations body?

It is AMAZING you guys REMEMBER they cost $2! At that stage of my life I had no concept of money (or value thereof), let alone the price of toys...

It was an odd decision to try and make BT Overdrive into Alt Windcharger considering that the toy was a deliberate and excellent homage to Overdrive. No surprise that it looks nothing like Windcharger. That's why I'm glad that I got BT Overdrive and not ALT Windcharger-who's-not-quite-Windcharger-who-was-meant-to-be-Overdrive-but-he's-Windcharger (#hurtmybrain )
    Hahah.... that's a funny anecdote! You might say that BT Sunstreaker and Sideswipe also look nothing much like their homage characters. And... Grimlock!?!? But I guess at least the heads kinda do.

I have the BT myself (personally find the Alternators so much inferior in quality I stopped after getting 1), and think of it as Windcharger in my mind. Seems like perhaps the decision was motivated by Windcharger being a lot more popular as a face/character?? Someone like me, for example, just has no interest in Overdrive (or knowledge for that matter ).

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    I think it would be quite cool to have a whole line-up of Mini-bots in the legends class, it's something to hope for. Unfortunately, looking at what's been released (at least considering 1984-86) it looks even less likely that a complete legends update will happen... deluxe seems a bit closer to reality at present...