Page 86 of 154 FirstFirst ... 6676818283848586878889909196106 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Critics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    BFG spoilers ahead

Took my daughter to watch BFG today. It's a really fun movie for kids and a pretty faithful adaptation of the old Roald Dahl book (which my daughter is currently reading ). But the main difference that stood out in my mind is that this movie makes the story more "geographically insular," and much of a the violence (i.e. giants eating humans) is implied rather than explicitly stated. In the book, the giants are kidnapping and eating humans, especially children, from around the world, whereas in this film it only seems to be happening in England. Also, while the human alliance with the BFG and military offensive against the giants in the book is spearheaded by England, it is still done with international collaboration with a coalition of forces from different countries invading giant country. In the film it's purely British forces. I wonder if the British Tourism board had anything to do with it. The fate of the giants is also more pleasant (and probably realistic) than the book; rather than being imprisoned in a pit in England and being fed snozzcumbers, the giants are instead dumped on a remote island and given snozzcumber seeds so that they can self-sufficiently grow the crops themselves for subsistence. Also, the final fate of the BFG and Sophie is different; there is no castle built for the BFG with Sophie's cottage next door - instead the BFG returns to giant country (as he is now the only giant there) where he has created a massive vegetable garden with new crops imported from Britain. Sophie now lives with the Queen in Buckingham Palace. Initially I thought that this wasn't as nice an ending, thinking that the BFG deserved to have his own castle... but upon reflection one could see it as an arguable improvement over the book's ending. The idea that the BFG need not conform to human societal standards (and odds are that if he did live in England he would be viewed as a freak, which the movie points out is one of the BFG's greatest fears in terms of human interaction), but rather he is allowed to live his own life and continue his work as a dream catcher. The Royal Breakfast scene is also different in that the BFG shares his frobscottle with his human hosts (with hilarious results). The generals are also far more receptive of the BFG than in the book. So there does seem to be a somewhat greater sense of acceptance and tolerance over any impetus for societal conformity. But otherwise the movie is actually really good adaptation, often with many lines being identical to what's written in the book.
    Loved the book as a kid. The movie i am yet to see but i don't want it to ruin my thoughts on the book

Watched Star Trek: Into Darkness to get myself up to speed in preparation for Star Trek: Beyond. Benedict Cumberbatch does a brilliant job. Like Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight, he steals the show. As for Zoe Saldana, I think that among current actors she's the queen of sci-fi.

1.Avatar (a smash hit)
    2.Guardians of the Galaxy (a sleeper hit)
    3.The Star Trek reboot (she's on a roll)

Quote Originally Posted by Gutsman Heavy View Post
    Finally watched Ant-Man. It left me cold, could be a victim of overwhelming positivity but I just found it boring and not any more "funny" than the other marvel flicks. 5/10. Civil War is next I think.
    I watched this a couple of weeks ago on foxtel and thought it was pretty good, especially parts of the fight at the end where they cut from 'ant-level' to 'normal'. like the train set falling off the tracks. that was hilarious

i thought civil war was not too bad either but had a couple of negatives i've already forgotten haha. i bought the trade paperback collection online on sale and read it before watching the movie, first time i probably enjoyed the movie a bit more than the comic series it was based on.

On the other hand Zootopia was great. Perfectly executed, which is surprising considering how they had to redo almost half the movie to make it work. Yet you couldn't tell it had a troubled production. Loved it. 9/10
    I agree, Zootopia was pretty much perfect, lots of charm but low on schmaltz, with a positive message that wasn't spoon fed to children.

Star Trek Into Darkness
    Bleh. First is good, but this was a mess. Boring.
    5/10
    Yep pretty much, magic space blood indeed, nothing makes sense. Hope the new one is better.

The Killing Joke. Aces. I'll write up a better review when I can be bothered

Why not now. Well, there's plenty of spoilerific reviews online for those seeking them, so I will not say any spoilers. Sticks pretty damn true to the comic, padded out with extra story which worked well. A few easter eggs to look for too. One extra scene however will piss off alot of fans, and already has. Me, I didn't see anything wrong with it and even adds to character development.

Even before this movie was made, they knew there'd be backlash, can't please everyone. But a mate of mine, my wife and I all really enjoyed it and was great to see on the big screen. We also were treated with and introduction from Hamill about his personal back story a bit and how he landed the role ok The Joker in the first place
    Last edited by 1AZRAEL1; 24th July 2016 at 11:48 PM.

On the weekend I went to see Star Trek: Beyond and it's not as good as the previous two. For example, the villain (played by Idris Elba) just cannot compete with Khan and even comes across as comical at times. Overall this movie is good at best, mediocre at worst. I'm now looking forward to The Killing Joke which I know will be excellent.

I thought the extra "prologue" in TKJ shifted the focus somewhere it shouldn't have.

TKJ was always about the Joker demonstrating to Batman that all it takes is one bad day to drive a good man insane. The good man, in this case, was Commissioner Gordon (and yes, shooting his daughter was just a plot device to Gordon's deconstruction. The feminists can sit down now). I was fine with fleshing Batgirl's character out with her kicking ass but that sex scene just drew attention to a romantic relationship between Bruce and Barbara, away from Jim's paternal relationship and demolishes Batman as a mentor

It's a tiny scene but Bruce Timm's shipping fetish has thrown the balance way off.
    Skip the first 20 minutes if you think this would bother you.
    Any figure that comes with swords demands wrist articulation.

Personally I didn't see that scene as taking away from Gordon or Batman as mentor. I had no issue with the scene, but I knew a lot of people would

The Man from U.N.C.L.E

Loved it. I thought the casting was fantastic.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

That is a great film. We did enjoy it too