Page 96 of 194 FirstFirst ... 7686919293949596979899100101106116 ... LastLast

Thread: The Random Transformers Thoughts Thread

Whenever comparing Bayformers with the G1 cartoon, I'd like to bear in mind that the G1 cartoon didn't have a budget of US$1.8 million per minute.

Quote Originally Posted by FatalityPitt View Post
    Computron : Feel sad

(better than 'Compu-bot' I suppose)
    You got me, we have to let that one slide. Compubot sounds too Disney, and Comperion or Compusor would be plain silly

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

FatalityPitt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SuspectimusPrime View Post
    You got me, we have to let that one slide. Compubot sounds too Disney, and Comperion or Compusor would be plain silly
    The Japanese managed to eliminate the 'tron' in Computron's name by renaming him 'ComputiCON' or コンピューティコン (Konpyūtikon)... Not sure if that's any better or worse...

Just got this month's Legends figures, I'm so happy with the current level complexity in the CHUG line. I like Legends Kup and Hot Rod more than the older United and Henkei figures they are replacing in my display.

I think most transformers names have sucked over time.
    Prowl, just happens to be given a police car alt mode
    hoist just happens to be given a tow truck alt mode,
    inferno a fire truck,
    bumblebee, a small yellow car
    ratchet, the medic kind of makes sense that he'd be given an ambulance.
    grapple, - grappling hook, a crane with a hook.
    mixmaster - cement mixer
    hook a crane
    optimus prime, a prime mover
    soundwave, the only recognisable piece of sound equipment from the era,

the names make sense in as much as they relate in some way to the alt mode but these 'earthen' words surely wouldn't have associated to their names/alt modes on cybertron. it'd be like every human working as a builder being called bob.

there are others that stand out like megatron, jazz, hound, starscream but they are the minority I think.

I've just accepted that in general transformers names are cornily related to their colour, alt mode or function.

Oh and I really dig the transformation on Orion Pax/Kup from the titans return line. the way the legs transform in particular.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I think most transformers names have
    ratchet, the medic kind of makes sense that he'd be given an ambulance.
    Ratchet is also a cultural reference to a well known medic. Nurse Ratched.

After getting Magnus Prime I tried to sell my TR PM OP but didn't get any real interests. I've now decided to repurpose Magnus Prime as Ginrai in my fanon and keep TRPMOP as PMOP. Magnus Prime is a canonical anomaly - even tfwiki can't determine exactly which character it's meant to be or if it's meant to be a new/unique character. There's conflicting information. But the plus side is that it makes it "fanonically flexible." People can just make it whoever they want to be. Okay, you can really repurpose any toy to be whoever you want it to be, but for me, having a toy that's canonically ambiguous makes it easier.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I've now decided to repurpose Magnus Prime as Ginrai in my fanon
    I think this is the logical conclusion as well considering that the headmaster is called Ginrai and the only other figure that has a Ginrai headmaster is Super Ginrai. If the headmaster was called Apex, Hi-Q, Diac or even Refractor then sure I'd say "Magnus Prime" was meant to be another version of Optimus, but since he comes with Ginrai to me it seems like he's meant to be a version of Ginrai. Or if one prefers "American Super Ginrai" could work lol.

I dont think it's worth considering the idea that Magnus Prime is a version of Ultra Magnus like some people have suggested.
    We shouldn't forget that in some continuities "Magnus" is a Cybertronian millitary rank, not a name, the same as "Prime" is a rank within the Autobot faction.
    So in this case "Magnus Prime" could just mean "Supreme Commander of the Autobot military, leader of the Autobots, and bearer of the Matrix of Leadership". It's definitely less of a mouthful to just say "Magnus Prime"

But reading John Warden's explaination about the figure and its name seems to solidify that it's Ginrai, just "Americanized".
    Anyway those are my thoughts on the identity of "Magnus Prime"
    Last edited by DarkHyren; 9th October 2017 at 12:31 AM.

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

My daughter's RID Windblade gained a sister named Scorchfire

Goodness know what I am going to do with TR PM Prime when PotP Prime shows up. There is a certain appeal to using Apex as the core of the Matrix.

OTOH I am looking forward to hiding Ptero and Clobber on Swoop and Grimlock somewhere.

Something positive...I've had a really good past month TF-wise. It's only been one or two things, but they've been great bargains on pieces that I've been looking for for a while and are a little hard to find these days.
    It's a small happiness, but a pleasant one.