Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your occupation?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Your occupation?

So what do people do to pay for their TFs addiction? Are you in a career, a temporary job until something else comes up, unemployed, or at school or Uni? (if at Uni, what are you studying, or aim to become from it)

For me, it's working in a Coles warehouse, but only until something better comes along. I've been there four years now, but it's good money for just stacking boxes.
    Last edited by griffin; 20th October 2008 at 02:35 AM. Reason: added 3rd posting into 1st.

I'm a bum.

(IE. I'm at university)

But that changes as of next February.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Okay, if you post that you are Uni, what are you studying, or aim to become from it?

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Okay, if you post that you are Uni, what are you studying, or aim to become from it?
    Okey dokey!

Funny thing is, I've never aimed to become anything. Uni/my career is something I do b/c I'm good at it. I'm going to be a consultant/analyst in the finance field. I've lined up a position for next Feburary which while I know I'm fortunate, makes me sad b/c I'm leaving behind the best years of life.

(as you can tell, I'm a very career driven person )
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

IT Support at a construction company.

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Manage a retail store with a part ownership in it.
    Also doing an accounting degree at Uni (slowly but surely) to become a CPA.
    Also ref basketball which is great because the Tax Department considers it a hobby still so that income is tax free. This may change in the future. I think refs at some associations actually pay tax.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    For me, it's working in a Coles warehouse, but only until something better comes along. I've been there four years now, but it's good money for just stacking boxes.
    same thing but for your German rival

I'm a career public servant, pay ain't too bad but the benefit entitlements are even better.

blackie: so did you go and study at a university overseas?

No offence, but I'm not entirely sure why people choose to study IB over VCE or HSC. afaik Australian high school certificates are widely recognised overseas too... I mean, I did the HSC and it didn't disadvantage me from gaining a scholarship to study at a university in Japan *shrug* In my experience people tend to pick it over the HSC/VCE more out of "prestige" *shrugs.again* Again, JMHO.

Still, from a language teacher's POV the IB is great since studying a foreign language is compulsory! So just out of interest which language did you study?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    blackie: so did you go and study at a university overseas?
    nah never had the drive to stiudy overseas

No offence, but I'm not entirely sure why people choose to study IB over VCE or HSC. afaik Australian high school certificates are widely recognised overseas too... I mean, I did the HSC and it didn't disadvantage me from gaining a scholarship to study at a university in Japan *shrug* In my experience people tend to pick it over the HSC/VCE more out of "prestige" *shrugs.again* Again, JMHO.
    ahh but ib has a MUCH (read amazingly) better conversion rate for enter scores etc. i honestly would have struggled to get 70 in VCE, but came out with 85 from IB

Still, from a language teacher's POV the IB is great since studying a foreign language is compulsory! So just out of interest which language did you study?
    ahh i did german, and a bad job i did at it. i think i got a 3 :S the lowest mark the teacher ever got. still i know im crap at languages, i got a credit last semester in the "how to write a report etc" subject, but got HD's in both the maths/physics subjects, and in IB i did chem and physics, so yeah im a science/maths guy, hence engineering :P

*shrug* In my experience people tend to pick it over the HSC/VCE more out of "prestige" *shrugs.again* Again, JMHO.
    Prestige my ass, everyone thinks your smart cause you do IB, i just chose it to be at the girls school :P jokes
    it is seen as a more prestigious option, but also as a different one. im not sure what HSC is like up there, but our VCE is vastly different than the IB, and its good, cause ive cruised through first year, because most of the material ive already covered. although i did learn some needless things such as special relativity in detail and astrophysics. but hey they were interesting, just completely useless to me now