Thread: Windblade heel alteration

Default Windblade heel alteration

I love her but one of the problems with Windblade is her balance issue. Her wings shift her centre of gravity directly over her heels. The fact the heels collapse only exacerbates her situation.

But I reckon extending her heels a few millimeters shifts her center of gravity towards her toes and angles her heels so they're less likely to inconveniently fold up.

Figuring out how far the heel extensions need to be.

Drilled the heels with a pin vice (pictured) and glued in cut lengths of paperclip to help anchor the extensions. The same idea as steel reinforcing rods in concrete. There's two in each heel to stop the things twisting right off.

I've just put the putty on. I'll take photos later today when it has had some time to harden..
    Any figure that comes with swords demands wrist articulation.

The extensions are done and solid enough to stand on.

Here's the finished result. She doesn't look drastically different but now she doesn't need to do the TF Animated pose to stand up without falling backward. I'll need to cover the green with black paint and maybe a coat of varnish too.
    Best thing about this little mod is it's so minor, that transformation is completely unaffected. I've seen people talk about making heels that lock in place or extend backward. I've even seen an attempt to fix this on Shapeways.
    Last edited by CBratron; 1st March 2015 at 09:24 PM.

that's a pretty elegant solution, thanks for sharing.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

very nicely done bro .... yeah that was annoying me as well...

where do you get a pin vice? sorry not a customizer here so have no idea on where to get these things and the putty as well...
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    where do you get a pin vice? sorry not a customizer here so have no idea on where to get these things and the putty as well...
    It's no problem. Hobbyco and other hobby shops should have both pin vice and putty (often called Kneadatite or Green Stuff). Hardware stores are less likely to have them but still might. Games Workshop definitely has them but they overprice everything. You could probably get both from ebay for less than $10 together.
    Sometimes the pin vice doesn't come with the tiny drill bits. You may need to buy those separately.

You can use any superglue, even those cheap mini-tubes from the reject shop. And while you're there you can pick up a wire cutter to snip the paperclips (don't even try scissors).

edit:and I just realised I've been misspelling Pin Vise for the past 15 years. Vice is immoral behaviour. Vise is a clamp.

Quote Originally Posted by CBratron View Post

edit:and I just realised I've been misspelling Pin Vise for the past 15 years. Vice is immoral behaviour. Vise is a clamp.
    hmm, and a vise vice is not something we want to think about.... (or do we?)

Great idea! I'd like to do something similar