Page 1 of 33 1234561121 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cricket Thread

Default The Cricket Thread

Thought I'd start a cricket thread, seeing as the season is starting up here domestically and internationally over in India and soon over here.. I dunno how many cricket fans we have here but its nearly summer so anyone who is in Aus pretty much has to be a cricket fan, should be law

First test ended in a draw, no surprise there really. Next test starts in 4 days so hopefully we get a result.

Good to see Cam White making his debut, us Victorian's haven't had many play for Aus in recent years beside of course Warney. Hodge was given a few games but way too late in his career, he was dominating domestic cricket for 5+ or so years before they gave him a go, disappointing.. I would really like to see White make a bit impact in one of the next few tests to cement himself a position, he is definitely capable so fingers crossed.

So yeah, feel free to chat about cricket, even your local team/association, I don't know if I'll play this year due to being 4 hours away from my team haha, wait and see if I go back home for the holidays i guess..

I've given up on playing personally. I just can't commit an entire year all round to sport on a Saturday. I'm sticking with footy for the time being though I keep feeling the urge to play cricket again though my best is probably behind me. Just don't carry the pace and zip anymore. Plus, I'd like to have my Saturdays free to do shopping and just simply hang out too. My mates have tried to convince me and i went to one training session but my heart;s not in it. Too time consuming to not just play but get yourself up to scratch. Cricket is a game u can only play, imo, if ur committed to training for many hours

As for the India match, the Aussies have only themselves to blame. That indian tail should not have wagged. It had no right to and the fact taht we couldn't stop it made it a win in India's book for my mind. We had them on the ropes, we just don't have that killer instinct we used to have. Or maybe its just the bowlers

I think White does not have a future in test cricket. I want to see a Victorian in the team but I think our next chance would be Hussey or one of the Victorian quicks like Siddle or Nannes. Rogers, who is becoming one of our own might get an openign role. Katich looks like he's a plug-in player at the moment. Just for the next two or three tours but not long-term. The other spot is Jaques' though perhaps Rogers will partner him. Oh and there's that Marsh fella from WA who's no slouch at all.

White's spin just does not have that potency. When Ponting is turning to Clarke first up, you know White's in trouble. He's a better one day/20-20 player until he starts spending more time on his bowling. Last season, courtesy of McGain's stellar season not to mention an injury, he barely bowled anything and that's been to his detriment. He has to bowl more as right now, there are better players to fill that all-rounder position like Hopes or Nofke.

I think Australia's decline is inevitable. Looking at our bowling stocks, we just don't have the firepower to take 20 wickets anymore. It's just not as convincing but perhaps Watson showed some promise in the 1st innings.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Yep agree with everything you said, Aus can only blame themselves, allowing Indias tail to bat for as long as they did pretty much ended Aus's chance. I mean you just have to look at Singh and Khan, batting 8 and 9, both made half centurys and faced 50+ overs.. You just can't let teams do that..

You are right about White, he really doesn't have a future in test cricket, but it doesn't mean I can't still want him to do well He is very suited to one day/2020, you just have to look at his 2020 achievements to see that, but if he concentrates on his batting I don't see how in a few years he couldn't be in the test team as a batsmen, his bowling hasn't really improved much in recent years, which as you rightly pointed out is due to McGain bowling brilliantly last season and injury. The problem with his batting is though, he is very similar to Shane Watson, and while Watson is fit you would pick him first you would think, due to his added bowling ability, just depends if his body can hold up.. And of course when Symonds comes back into the team, which you would think would be when we start playing in Aus, he would be picked before both of them..

You are right about the decline being inevitable, you can't lose players of the quality of Warne, McGrath, Gilchrist over the last couple of seasons and simply replace them with the next best thing hoping to go with business as usual, because the difference between those players and the next best is huge. Losing Warne and McGrath means losing 1200+ test wickets experience, which is not easily replaced, and I think thats where we will be let down in the future, our bowling..

I get to play for work, so it is part of my working week.

Stupid Ponting batting too long.
    Stupid Indians not having a go!

I remember in school that Bradman coot died.

And i said was "all this media coverage, i dont care if he's dead"

then all the stupid kids started telling me off for being unpatriotic or something, we went to a Catholic school, so i told them what old braddie thought of their faith, of course they didn't listen to me. But, who was right in the end?!

I played cricket for the first time at one of my birthday parties, i got a cricket set. The ball smacked me in the nuts. Ive now stopped playing cricket.

In sydney i was at a Darling harbour bar, that Ponting fellah was there with a girl

Things like associating sporting legends with patriotism absolutely sh*t me to no end. I love my sport but not for a moment do I think these individuals necessarily embody what it is to be Australian. Half of them are conceited individuals anyway. For my mind, everything I've read about Bradman says to me that he does not compare to a Steve Waugh. Waugh captured our hearts not just through his brilliance but through his character. Bradman may be a legend of the game but not all legends are great people. There are other countless others that you can say that about too.

It's sad that our society associates so much with celebrities and sports stars. We let them define us and that is sad when kids at school carry that underlying attitude. Sports stars are poor role models. That's the cold hard fact and I now in grain that in each of my sister, cousins, students and friends.

Let's associate being Australian with ideals; not individuals who we as an celebrity salivating society feel we have to idolise.

On the top of cricket, you're very lucky Soundwarp. I wish they made it part of my work.

Anyone care about the domestic comp? I love it in summer b/c it gives me that little extra thing to check every 10 mins. The Vics are at 0/88 against the Redbacks. A solid start and Rogers is fitting into becoming a Victorian.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Too bad the Aussies were the only team trying to get a result after lunch on day 1. It was India's test to lose, and they lost it, as always taking the softest and easiest options. Ponting gave them a good sporting chance, 299 from 70 overs is not terribly hard, not even 3.5 runs an over. The Indians did not even try.

The sting in the Aussie bowling line-up has gone missing, Clark is injured, Lee had an off game and Johnson showed again that while he can be a very effective bowler, it is only for a half dozen overs here and there. Clarke was a total disappointment with the bat, but no surprises there, the guy is not really worth having in the team, he and Shane Watson should consider themselves very lucky that the powers that be in CA love them to pieces. Hopefully when Watson breaks down D Hussey will be called into the side.

Lets see what unsporting like crap India will come up with during the 2nd test. Kumble being injured is a massive worry, Dhoni is not the best captain in cricket, and his form of late has been rather poor.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

"Cricket? Nobody understands cricket. You've gotta know what a crumpet is to understand cricket."

Pulse is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

Oh I wish Warnie would come out of retirement...

"Come back Warnie! Please! Cricket hasn't been the same without you!"

i just got back from training - while batting i inside edged a ball onto the side of my patella (how it missed my pad i dunno...), but i had a dead leg for abt 10mins :/

anywho on a good note we had a win on the weekend, made 6/206 in a one dayer after bowling them out for 109 - i took 3/36 off 11

George
    www.mariokart64.com
    --------------------------------------------------------
    "Sometimes, the wrong thing feels so right"
    --------------------------------------------------------