Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011

Thread: Generations: Superion & Menasor (1st Photos)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    I understand the copyright issues for the cars, but why the jets?
    You may well be onto something here... the model kit industry went into meltdown about 10 years ago as Boeing began hitting kit manufacturers for use of their IP - it was rumoured they were demanding up to $40 per kit to model one their planes (the big debate was whether they owned the designs or not given they were typically built for the state and the state would often have several companies building any one plane - especially WWII designs or aircraft they built of other companies designs). However, Boeing won and most new western kit manufacturers now have printed on the box or instructions that the kit is officially licensed. Lockheed Martin also began imposing the same.

Coincidentally, the F-15, F-4 and Harrier (US Marine version) were all McDonnell Douglas products - and MD has since merged with Boeing. Similarly General Dynamics, producer of the F-16, sold their aerospace arm to Martin before they merged to become Lockheed Martin. Northrop and Grumman haven't sought licensing hence they can probably get away with the F-14 like design.

A cost of $40 doesn't seem to have eventuated - anecdotally, I'd suggest it's been about 10% but that's still a cost that they may not be willing to absorb or pass on...

Quote Originally Posted by Stug View Post
    You may well be onto something here... the model kit industry went into meltdown about 10 years ago as Boeing began hitting kit manufacturers for use of their IP - it was rumoured they were demanding up to $40 per kit to model one their planes (the big debate was whether they owned the designs or not given they were typically built for the state and the state would often have several companies building any one plane - especially WWII designs or aircraft they built of other companies designs). However, Boeing won and most new western kit manufacturers now have printed on the box or instructions that the kit is officially licensed. Lockheed Martin also began imposing the same.

Coincidentally, the F-15, F-4 and Harrier (US Marine version) were all McDonnell Douglas products - and MD has since merged with Boeing. Similarly General Dynamics, producer of the F-16, sold their aerospace arm to Martin before they merged to become Lockheed Martin. Northrop and Grumman haven't sought licensing hence they can probably get away with the F-14 like design.

A cost of $40 doesn't seem to have eventuated - anecdotally, I'd suggest it's been about 10% but that's still a cost that they may not be willing to absorb or pass on...
    Some good info there stug

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    I understand the copyright issues for the cars, but why the jets? I'm not a fan of the Aerialbots alt modes at all. Air Raid has gone from a F15 to a long retired F14, kind of ok, but why? Fireflight doesn't really look anything at all like a Phantom, his shape is so wrong I'd just call him a derpjet. As for Skydive, well maybe he is actually meant to be a Mig 24 now with his two tail fins, but even then he looks way off. I don't really understand seeing as how they have made proper likenesses of military aircraft for the movie lines. As a big fan of jet Transfromers these lazy alt modes bother me, and that's even before I consider the fact that each of them has a kibble brick attached to the bottom of the fuselage.
    Please forgive me but that mig 24 quote has been bothering me you were referring to mig 25 perhaps?