Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Thread: 日本語会話: The Japanese Conversation Thread

My Japanese word for this week: 水疱瘡 「みずぼうそう」 CHICKEN POX!

My daughter has it.
    (and yes, she's up to date with her vaccines but she still got it anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    My Japanese word for this week: 水疱瘡 「みずぼうそう」 CHICKEN POX!

My daughter has it.
    (and yes, she's up to date with her vaccines but she still got it anyway)
    Mizubousou = chicken pox? weird

sorry to hear that Goki-senpai, but it's better she gets it as a kid rather than an adult right?

It's okay, she got over it a few days ago. Currently her favourite word is もっと!

e.g.
    Having a bath...
    「お風呂終わった?」
    「もっと!」
    On Saturday we had lunch at a Vietnamese restaurant, she finished her tea and showed us her empty cup...
    「もっと!」
    So I said 「母ちゃんきいて」 so she asked her mother.

My wife told me that today she saw an oak tree on TV and pointed at it and said 「どんぐり!」 Someone's been watching waaay too much Totoro. She now calls the big Totoro 「大きいトトロ」 and the little white one either 「Baby トトロ」 or 「小さいトトロ」

I really want to learn Japanese but nowhere where I live has any courses etc.

waaaah i miss japan!
    "I was expecting a giant car."

[COLOR="STUFF FOR SALE [/B][/COLOR]

Non-TF SALE

TRANSFORMERS SALE!

I am starting to teach myself Japanese using my friend's Genki textbooks. Any advice for a beginner?

Avoid Romaji. Learn all Furigana (Hiragana and Katakana) before doing anything else if you haven't already. The problem with Romaji is that students often become too dependent on it and it's ultimately NOT a very good way to learn Japanese. It's handy for people who may only want to know a few phrases for travelling, but if you actually want to learn the language, then forget it. Learning Japanese without Furigana is like trying to learn English without learning the alphabet.

I strongly advise using flashcards for learning Furigana (and Kanji). Some people like learning languages by putting labels all over their homes with words in their target language.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Avoid Romaji. Learn all Furigana (Hiragana and Katakana) before doing anything else if you haven't already. The problem with Romaji is that students often become too dependent on it and it's ultimately NOT a very good way to learn Japanese. It's handy for people who may only want to know a few phrases for travelling, but if you actually want to learn the language, then forget it. Learning Japanese without Furigana is like trying to learn English without learning the alphabet.

I strongly advise using flashcards for learning Furigana (and Kanji). Some people like learning languages by putting labels all over their homes with words in their target language.
    I am ignoring romanji because I want to actually learn the language properly, like you said.

I have a couple of digital flashcard programs already but I need to do more learning before they become useful.

Oh boy, my house is going to become covered labels now, that's such a good idea. The people I live with are going to hate it

Oh God yes, the bloody JET Japanese Beginner course is all romaji and it drives me crazy. Couple that with the weird grammar points and it's just not worth doing - I just study with Genki (my JTEs help with the Osaka-ben) and just muddle through the JET tests.
    Seriously, how can a Japanese course for people who are guaranteed to be in Japan not use furigana, and/or the occasional kanji? It starts three or four months into the job fer crying out loud!
    Seriously, if you get over here don't bother signing up for the CLAIR language course, it's a major waste of time.

A note or two on Genki - it's really good as far as texts go, but it does sometimes teach textbook Japanese. Generally people here don't use some of the words in the book (i.e. 話す hanasu for 'to speak (a language)' - people on the ground actually use しゃべる shaberu 'to chatter'), and it's all Standard Japanese so if you make it over here on JET there'll almost definitely be some regional differences in your hometown. People will still understand and be able to use Standard Japanese just fine (it's the official national language, and is used for keigo or polite/formal speech), but most places here have their own regional dialects which can be a bit or even quite different. I came here with no Japanese whatsoever besides the usual 'konnichiwa, sushi, etc' words everyone knows, and now I'm learning both Standard and Osakan Japanese. As Goki can attest, the two can be pretty different.
    Osaka-ben is better, obviously.