Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 102025262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Bay to do TMNT

I started this thread because I was a naysayer. I saw this movie today and am now a yay-sayer.

Will avoid plot, joke and easter egg spoilers here...

I really enjoyed this. I think it did everything right that Transformers did wrong. It was clearly respectful of and inspired by what went before. I feel like there's a bit of everything in the mix here (original comics, original cartoon, original movie, modern
    cartoons) and it works. The individual easter egg-style nods are great to spot.

The movie is fun, and funny (without needing toilet humour and "happy time" jokes). The action was good, easy to follow and the Turtles are tough. Shredder was a tough opponent, a little gimmicky but a threat. Splinter got to shine. The Turtle designs worked. The clothes, noses etc don't look good as static toys but they work in the movie.

Going in I was most concerned about April, but Megan Fox was great. Her April was proactive and a driver of the plot. Although an object of desire she is no one's love interest and barely a damsel in distress. If she'd only played this character in the TF films, and the Witwickys had been ditched. (I never mind her in TF really, she's just over made up and the Bay controlled camera too sleezy).

On the con side, there is a bit of over-the-top product placement (but not at the TF film level). It's probably just a little bit too long, and it's a little violent for the little ones. Also not enough Whoopi.

I'm a lapsed TMNT fan and I hear more recent takes are really good too, but this really worked for me.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

It's okay, still not what I have portrayed in the real comics. I welcome chris Nolan to have a take in this instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I started this thread because I was a naysayer. I saw this movie today and am now a yay-sayer.

Will avoid plot, joke and easter egg spoilers here...

I really enjoyed this. I think it did everything right that Transformers did wrong. It was clearly respectful of and inspired by what went before. I feel like there's a bit of everything in the mix here (original comics, original cartoon, original movie, modern
    cartoons) and it works. The individual easter egg-style nods are great to spot.

The movie is fun, and funny (without needing toilet humour and "happy time" jokes). The action was good, easy to follow and the Turtles are tough. Shredder was a tough opponent, a little gimmicky but a threat. Splinter got to shine. The Turtle designs worked. The clothes, noses etc don't look good as static toys but they work in the movie.

Going in I was most concerned about April, but Megan Fox was great. Her April was proactive and a driver of the plot. Although an object of desire she is no one's love interest and barely a damsel in distress. If she'd only played this character in the TF films, and the Witwickys had been ditched. (I never mind her in TF really, she's just over made up and the Bay controlled camera too sleezy).

On the con side, there is a bit of over-the-top product placement (but not at the TF film level). It's probably just a little bit too long, and it's a little violent for the little ones. Also not enough Whoopi.

I'm a lapsed TMNT fan and I hear more recent takes are really good too, but this really worked for me.
    Wow I thought this would be a write-off for sure. Might have to give it a go after such high praise!

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    It's okay, still not what I have portrayed in the real comics. I welcome chris Nolan to have a take in this instead.
    Christopher Nolan? You're kidding, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Lint View Post
    Wow I thought this would be a write-off for sure. Might have to give it a go after such high praise!
    It's possible my Turtles nostalgia combined with going in with low expectations put me in a good spot to enjoy this. I've read some reviews since that point out some of the flaws but I still had a good time watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    Why not Martin Scorcese?

Really ???

The thing I hate most about Bay movies are the cringeworthy Bay invented comic relief characters (that everyone else in the cinema cacks themselves over) Hopefully Mikey means that spot's already taken it.

Might have to give it a go after reading this though, and yes...low expectations.

So is April still Shredders daughter?
    Is Shredder Japanese?

About Splinter, where did he come from?

This movie was horrible, I'll stick to the original live action film...

Quote Originally Posted by VGMStudios View Post
    So is April still Shredders daughter?
    Is Shredder Japanese?

About Splinter, where did he come from?
    Maybe spoilers, so

Is April still Shredders daughter? No, was she ever?

Is Shredder Japanese? Yes

About Splinter, where did he come from? Pretty much the same place as in the current IDW comics, a lab, but without the past life reincarnation stuff