View Poll Results: Do the Generations "Targetmasters" count separately?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 56.25%
  • No

7 43.75%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Counting Generations "Targetmasters"

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    The way I count is by the individual. So since every Targetmaster I know of has his/her own individual consciousness in the western canon I count them separate. So for example Ginrai is one character for the whole set, but Powermaster Optimus Prime counts as two because Hi-Q has his own mind.
    That's interesting. How would you count Doublecross, Flywheels, Animated Blitzwing, Beast Changer, Punch/Counterpunch, Alpha Quintesson, Metroplex, Six-Gun, Slammer, Scamper Optimus Prime, Roller and Combat Deck?

I recently came up against several classification issues when making my new transformer search site (check soundwaves global forum if you're interested).

On my site, if an accessory has a name, and transforms, it counts as a separate listing. Ones i stumbled on were Sixgun (who transforms into a pile of blocks... no listing for him!) and DOTM Commander Blackout's Targetmaster Scorponok figure. It wasn't until i did the site that i realised the damn thing transformed lol. Though nowhere (i think) is he referred to as a Targetmaster on packaging, i labelled him as such since it didn't seem right listing him as "Commander" like his package mate. I tried to stick with packaging name as much as possible but .. difficult!

Cause my site has Robot & Alt mode photos for each... i'm glad i haven't got any Action Masters to consider adding yet

Mine is simple - if you wouldn't buy or review a toy without certain accessories or partners, then those accessories and partners don't count as separate toys.

Would you buy Optimus without Roller, if it is listed as complete, or review one without Roller?
    If it isn't complete without it, why would it count as a separate toy?

(My first counting method maaaaany years ago was to count individual characters as separate toys. But then Armada came along, and I realised that partner Minicons couldn't count as separate toys if they are required to complete the toy they were boxed with, making me recount my collection to match. After all, if I wouldn't buy Hotshot without Jolt, how can Jolt be considered a separate toy if Hotshot needs it to be a "complete" toy. Same with something like Metroplex, if you count Scamper as a separate toy, it means your Metroplex is incomplete.)

I'd say no as these toys are little more than external gimmicks to get people to buy the toys, on their own they are horrible toys, it'd be like considering Sixgun a separate toy to G1 Metroplex.

If Generations Groundpounder is going to counted as a separate TF toy in his own right, then I'm going to say we have hit and all new low in TF toys, and that's saying something.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    That's interesting. How would you count Doublecross, Flywheels, Animated Blitzwing, Beast Changer, Punch/Counterpunch, Alpha Quintesson, Metroplex, Six-Gun, Slammer, Scamper Optimus Prime, Roller and Combat Deck?
    Doublecross: According to TFwiki he is two minds in one, I don't have him so I've never considered it.

Flywheels if I had him and Animated Bliztwing when I get him are each one character. Multiple/split personalities are mental illness, not separate minds in real life AFAIK.

Never saw BM so I'm not familiar with Beast Changer.

Punch/Counterpunch is an Autobot with a Deception alt mode, in the cartoon at least, don't know about Marvel comics.

I'm not sure about the Quintesson's, I'd have to research it if they ever release a toy thats not Alpha Q which I hate and will never pick up.

G1 Metroplex, I see I have them listed as one, but I'll have to research them now that I see that I have them listed that way (oversight maybe). All I know is only Metroplex was shown to have a consciousness in the show, I don't know about the comics. Generations Metroplex I'd say Scamper is is own guy in this version.

Optimus, again in the cartoon, sorry I never read the Marvel comics, Roller is only ever seen as a drone and in IDW all three are one consciousness as explained in the first few issues when Megatron almost kills Prime.

This is why I keep a separate number that is just complete sets, as counting by character is up to interpretation.

I think the final word on that they should be counted separately is that thru even get their own individual tech spec on the back of the box