Thread: Feedback from Stores about low TFs stock this Christmas

Default Feedback from Stores about low TFs stock this Christmas

After this earlier discussion topic was looking at (and tracking) the diminishing Transformers toy stock levels since the mid-year sales in Australia, last week I emailed/messaged each of the Major Retailers for toys here - Kmart, Target, BigW, ToysRUs - asking why they are able to keep up healthy stock of other toylines (including Hasbro toylines) this Christmas, but not Transformers.
    (unfortunately, within 2 days of sending these messages we saw some new stock showing up at Kmart and BigW stores... but still not a full replenishment of the line, as sightings were only noting single new cases or single new items like Devastator)

This was what I sent to them (with some changes for each)...

Hi there, As the administrator of an Australian toy collector website, I am just wanting to ask what happened with the Transformers Brand this year? After the mid-year sales, the product in stores has been shrinking to the point of some stores being reported as having about a dozen Transformers toys, or even none at all. Has (store-chain name) prioritised other toylines in the lead up to Christmas, or is there some other reason why the Transformers toy stock levels are at their lowest in about 10 years (of our website's posted sightings by members). Hopefully your toy product buyers aren't waiting until the March Toy & Hobby Fair to do a full replenishment of the toyline as there are Three Transformers toylines at the moment, and each of them has assortments of between 10 and 50 different items each at the moment, giving us about 100 different Transformers toys currently released in other countries... toys that people (parents and collectors) would be looking online to import (especially for Christmas). And if they get into that habit, it will be difficult to win them back later when/if you get a proper range back in stock. Thankyou for your time... I hope you have some answers I can share with others to reassure them that (store-chain name) has not turned their back on the longest running, continuously released action figure toyline in Australia (starting in 1984).
    These are the replies I got from them, with most being generic replies that didn't even look to query/investigate the claims about the toyline in question (I know I know... I wasn't expecting anything substantive as a reply, but this is useful evidence later if they ever need to be challenged on a claim of being committed to the Brand... and I wanted to share my efforts).

TARGET
    (blaming it on other toylines - but that's never stopped them having a full product range before... it's really about priorities, which they don't admit to here)

Thanks for getting in touch with us!

Our stock levels of toys are dependant upon what we receive from our suppliers.

Due to the large range of different toys in the market, we unfortunately cannot supply a full range of Transformers toys.

Sorry for any disappointment this causes.
    KMART
    (a decent reply for being generic - but the question is, do they really forward the comments onto the toy product buyer?)

Thank you for your contact regarding our Transformers range in store.

Kmart is committed to ranging quality, value for money products. We are always looking for opportunities to ensure our range of merchandise meets the specific needs of our customers and we value any feedback about our product range.

We have forwarded your comments to our buyer for consideration in the next range review.
    In the meantime, we hope that the current stock in the Transformers range, will meet your current needs for now.

Thank you for contacting us regarding this matter. Your feedback is appreciated and we look forward to your future custom at Kmart.

Kind regards,

BIGW
    (no "visibility" by Customer Service means that they aren't able to look into what they sell or don't sell, so can't respond to product queries - I wonder who the "relevant team" is, and if they would do anything about it)

Thank you for your message. We currently do not have visibility as to what brands come in but we will forward your query through to the relevant team to look into for stock ranges sold at our BIG W stores. We do ask that you keep an eye on our website for all updates on what will be on sale in our stores soon! For any other queries, please contact our Suppor Team on 1300 244 999. Kind Regards, BIG W
    TOYSRUS
    The ToysRUs reply was most disappointing because I also asked about why they seem to be the only national Retailer in Australia that can't order in products that they currently have in their possession at the main warehouse... especially if they keep advertising those items in multiple sales/catalogues. To which they are flat out telling a potential customer that they are sorry for constantly teasing us with sale items, but can not satisfy us by providing us with what we want from what they definitely have in stock... which would prompt customers to look for a more reliable source that provides better customer satisfaction.
    In the age of the internet and easy online ordering that is already hurting the ToysRUs corporation around the world (many TRU stores have been closed in America due to competition, and we've seen TRU stores closed here as fast as they open new ones), so what sort of business that hopes to grow or remain in profit, is going to turn down selling stock that they have on hand?

This was the slightly different message I sent to ToysRUs...

Hi there,
    The nearby ToysRUs store has been almost empty of Transformers stock for the last two weeks (the prime Christmas Shopping period), despite other action figure lines (even ones from Hasbro) getting plentiful stockings and re-stockings. Since there are over 70 different Transformers toy products across three toylines currently in release, is ToysRUs cutting back on the Transformers brand in response to the slow moving expensive collector toys (Masterpiece & Platinum Edition)? And why can't the individual stores order in stock that is available at the warehouse to improve customer satisfaction levels (and prevent them from going to competitors) - or, if the stores CAN specially order in stock, why would my nearby store say that they cannot?
    Thankyou for your time.
    Thank you for your email. At Toys R Us we strive to maintain high levels of Customer Service and value all customer feedback.

We apologise for your latest disappointing experience with our stores. We will forward your concerns and feedback to the Operations Team to review.

With the help of our customers and employees we are working towards improving our Customer Service and our customers' overall shopping experiences.

Unfortunately stores can not independently place orders for specific products, as this is not something we would offer. Our apologies.

If you have any problems, please do not hesitate to contact the customer service team on 1300 8697 787.

Once again we apologise for the inconvenience caused and we hope that your future shopping experiences are more enjoyable.

Kind Regards,

I thought Kmart was the best performer this year, as they managed to stock all the combiner wars toys, except may of missed wave 2 with the Stunticons. I think why with some stores they appeared to have no new stock is because it probably sold very quickly, and once restocked sold quickly again. Im thinking Kmart Garden City was an example of this. But anyway it would appear they had limited restocking, but I think they got it just right, so we were lucky to get all the waves. Myer also did an excellent job, but should of had a little more stock especially for their promotions, regarding combiner wars.

Target, and Big W were abysmal. ToysRUs are still pretty good and yeah you can't always find what you want every time, but they at least fill up their shelves with stock. In store they could be doing a lot more to promote those masterpiece transformers, and platinum editions.

CoRDS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

toyworld fyshwick is still out performing every other retailer in the country (including online stores)