View Poll Results: Would you purchase a new MP Convoy & Starscream?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Probably would - I own at least one existing MP version of these characters

18 40.91%
  • Probably would - I do not own any existing MP versions of these characters

0 0%
  • Probably would not - I own existing MP versions of these characters

21 47.73%
  • Unsure

5 11.36%
  • Other (please specify)

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you purchase a new MP Convoy & Starscream?

Megatran Guest

Lets pee everyone off & have a complete reboot again.

I'm not sure what TakaraTOMY could do to significantly improve on existing MP figures. Cosmetic/aesthetics aside, MP10 isn't really an improvement over MP1 - IMHO MP1 is still the better action figure between the two. MP1 is just jam packed with so many awesome gimmicks and features which MP10 simply lacks. Obviously MP10 was simplified because it also comes with the trailer/combat deck and Roller Car - MP10 is a better all-rounder. MP11 has a better robot mode, but MP3 still has a superior looking jet mode. MP36 looks to have a much better looking robot mode, but MP5 still has a better looking gun mode. So in each of these new incarnations there is some level of trade off rather than an absolute improvement.

I suppose boils down to whether or not you feel that the new figure is a big enough improvement over the previous version to warrant getting it or not. I've preordered MP36 because while the gun mode doesn't look as good as MP5, the improvements in every other aspect of the figure makes it worthwhile. But I know other collectors who disagree and aren't interested in MP36 (it hasn't pre-sold out yet on PC).

But MP5 was always a figure that had room for improvement, so it's not surprising that a new MP Megatron would offer a lot more than the original. MP1 and MP10 are both great figures and it's hard to improve on these figures beyond just aesthetics. The whole new MP Seeker mould might be interesting, as we know that there are issues with Kawamori's MP3 design, some of which MP11 has inherited too. But unless a new rebooted MP is on the disparity level of MP5 v MP36, then I'm likely to just skip it. I might get the mould if it's repainted as a different character - e.g. I never got MP11 Starscream or the redecoes as Skywarp and Thundercracker, but I did get MP Acidstorm and Sunstorm. So if they made a new MP Starscream I'd probably skip it, but I might get it if it were repainted as a blue Rainmaker (I hope that TakaraTOMY names it "Blizzard Storm" (don't really care for the Hasbro name)), Nacelle or Hotlink.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    I'm not sure if that would be possible on the current mould, as both the forearms and the legs don't have much room for such changes as they are: the forearms already conceal the hands, and there may not be enough space to have more plastic to fold and conceal the silver stripes without adding bulk to the forearms, which would then affect the proportions and possibly the transformation; and any rotating panels on the lower legs to hide the wheels inside would likely not leave room for the thighs to telescope in and out of the legs for transformation and still have solid, sturdy legs for the figure to stand with.

Seems to me like MP10 would have to be substantially reworked for those changes.
    I agree, it would be a complete re-design to achieve that sort of 'cartoon' accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    I think TT should return to the original Masterpiece designs of balancing cartoon accuracy with real-world detail.
    I completely agree with this, and I think they have kept to that even with the more recent toys like Inferno, it's just the ones like Hot Rod and Shockwave that don't have real world alt modes that have really been pushed further to animation accuracy than the rest in my opinion. I think the rest, Magnus included have been pretty well balanced. The 'realistic' alt mode lends a lot of credence to the 'robots in disguise' feel of the Masterpieces.

I think my answer is Maybe. I wasn't going to buy much of the MP-11 mould but I've managed to buy 3 versions at least. Sunstorm, Acid Storm and Starscream. I really do much prefer the alt mode of the original version over the new one. I'm also getting all 3 of the coneheads.
    If they did design a new version that removed a lot of the faults of both existing designs and also maintained the superior alt mode design I might buy more. It would have to be priced competitively though.

I also agree with Gok that I think the original Masterpiece Prime design was brilliant. I can see where the MP-10 design is 'better' but I still love the original, I do find it a bit too heavy for it's own good though. The visible pistons, opening forearm panels, motion controlled leg vanes all contribute to a spectacular toy.

I don't think the MP-10 Mould is different enough from the styling of the rest of the line to justify replacing with a more 'screen' accurate version. A new Masterpiece prime would have to be an outstanding design to top the existing two.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I'm not sure what TakaraTOMY could do to significantly improve on existing MP figures. Cosmetic/aesthetics aside, MP10 isn't really an improvement over MP1 - IMHO MP1 is still the better action figure between the two.
    Without starting yet another "MP1 IS THE GREATEST MP EVER!!!" argument I'd like to register my objection and say I completely disagree and I'll leave it at that.

Kranix is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Nope, I have both and I'm happy with them. I dont feel that the aesthetics of the new figures is that different either. While I would have liked more paint on Starscream, my only real annoyance is the non matching faction tampos on the seekers.

Kranix is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Without starting yet another "MP1 IS THE GREATEST MP EVER!!!" argument I'd like to register my objection and say I completely disagree and I'll leave it at that.
    I really dislike MP1, to me MP10 is the perfect Prime.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Both MP1 and MP10 are good toys in their own different ways. As I said, I think that MP1 is the better action figure but MP10 is the better all round toy. MP1 has a plethora of features which MP10 lacks - the pistons, hydraulics, finger and mouthplate articulation, light up Matrix chamber, working suspension in both truck and robot mode (including articulated shin vents which fold out as air is compressed with each footstep) etc. And just for fun, have a look at this stop motion using MP10 and this stop motion using MP1 (disregard the waist bending forward, that was customised by the animator).

But MP10 also has many redeeming features overal MP1. As UltraMarginal said, MP1 is too heavy for its own good. It also has a pathetically weak grip on its rifle, whereas MP10 can hold its rifle quite well. MP10 also has a much nicer looking truck mode and it has the IDW accurate gimmick of being able to fold its rifle and stow it in the back (although it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I like it). And of course, MP10 comes with the trailer/Combat Deck, Roller and Spike, whereas MP1 is just the robot/truck cab with a cardboard trailer. MP4 did come with a trailer, but not Roller or Spike, hence why I previously said that MP10 is the better "all rounder." MP4's trailer is to scale with Binaltech/Alternators (1:24), whereas MP10's trailer is scaled with MP Cars.

Whether you prefer MP1 or MP10 comes down to personal taste (hence why I was careful to say "IMHO" - I'm stating an opinion, not a fact), and that's fine. But what I'm saying is that neither MP1 nor MP10 are definitively better or worse than the other.

for Mp optimus i think MP10 is fine, if anything they could perhaps do some other models as they did for beast wars primal.

As for an updated seeker, i think because all the different styles have been done on this mould its not really needed. rather see the time be put into a different character

Just out of curiosity, how many people here would consider purchasing a redecoed MP32 Optimus Primal made accurate to his appearance in the theatrical movie? Aside from giving a whole new colour scheme (e.g. no fur grain tampograph (just smooth polished dark grey), more toy-accurate shade of non-metallic blue etc.) and include an interchangeable robot chest (the alternate one with Primal's Matrix opened). But then, the robot chest isn't designed to be detachable so they may need to retool it more to make it so. They may also require interchangeable hands as Movie Primal has blocky robot hands in robot mode, but rounded organic looking hands in beast mode. And then there'd be the Burning Beast Convoy repaint - although Burning Beast Convoy's hands are rounded robotic hands (more like the typical hands seen in the G1 cartoon, whereas the regular one's hands are more like Ultra Magnus')

If it was MP-32-B or something, no. If it was MP-37 or something I would feel I have no choice because I own every main line MP except the hideous green Starscream.