Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Checking in on QLD members

Quote Originally Posted by Burn View Post
    BOM get a LOT of flack for "getting it wrong", but honestly, give people a bit of a scare and they'll be more prepared.

Just like Yasi though, what Marcia was is really debatable. A lot of the "experts" in the area are saying it was only Cat 1 when it hit, judging by the damage and recorded wind gusts.
    http://www.news.com.au/national/quee...-1227236188297

“It’s important that the people of Yeppoon who think they’ve been through a category 5 know they’ve only been through a weak category 3,’’ she said.

"He said the US Joint Typhoon Warning Centre had analysed Marcia as at least a category 4."

"Forecaster Jess Carey said the bureau’s position was that the storm was a category 5."

Who the bloody hell know... Stay classy Queenslanders.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    http://www.news.com.au/national/quee...-1227236188297

“It’s important that the people of Yeppoon who think they’ve been through a category 5 know they’ve only been through a weak category 3,’’ she said.

"He said the US Joint Typhoon Warning Centre had analysed Marcia as at least a category 4."

"Forecaster Jess Carey said the bureau’s position was that the storm was a category 5."

Who the bloody hell know... Stay classy Queenslanders.
    This is what really annoys me. We're supposed to put our trust in these "experts" but each one of them tells us something completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin
    I saw that on the news last night. That's disgusting behaviour... that and looting from homes and businesses who have already suffered, and often can't be fully covered for natural disasters like cyclones and floods.
    It really is! These generators were powering important traffic lights to start with. These dirtbags put lives at risk when they stole those generators. And the looting... This is the time when communities should be pulling together. Its no wonder these days no-one wants to help anyone else.

We managed to get power back on about 4 pm today. A lot of Gracemere and Rocky is still out though.

It was almost certainly a category 4 when it arrived in Rockhampton. After the eye passed over us and on the way out it was at most a category 3. I would suggest it's possible that the same is true of Yeppoon; they got slammed very hard but it would have weakened by the time it left.

Oh, and hey TAAUBlaster! I didn't realise we had any members beside myself who were actually in Rocky!

Quote Originally Posted by Zommael View Post
    It was almost certainly a category 4 when it arrived in Rockhampton. After the eye passed over us and on the way out it was at most a category 3. I would suggest it's possible that the same is true of Yeppoon; they got slammed very hard but it would have weakened by the time it left.

Oh, and hey TAAUBlaster! I didn't realise we had any members beside myself who were actually in Rocky!
    Actually, I'm in Gracemere, but close enough

How did you fare? You got power back at your place yet?

Just found this thread. So Gladstone it's self (not the Gladstone Region) only got hit lightly. It was a Cat 1 when it hit, but we were in the outer edge of the cyclone. Some parts of town lost power for a day and from what I understand it was at least partly due to fallen trees which Ergon is supposed to remove so we don't loose power. Landline phones and internet were dodgy for a while after the cyclone. But most concerning from a safety point of view is that mobile phones stopped working.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Landline phones and internet were dodgy for a while after the cyclone. But most concerning from a safety point of view is that mobile phones stopped working.
    Same thing happened here too for a while. Some people in Rocky didn't have a landline for like 4 days. Our landline was luckily fine, but mobile and internet was dead for a day or two for us.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Just found this thread. So Gladstone it's self (not the Gladstone Region) only got hit lightly. It was a Cat 1 when it hit, but we were in the outer edge of the cyclone. Some parts of town lost power for a day and from what I understand it was at least partly due to fallen trees which Ergon is supposed to remove so we don't loose power. Landline phones and internet were dodgy for a while after the cyclone. But most concerning from a safety point of view is that mobile phones stopped working.
    When the cyclone is nearing they tend to switch the power off anyway to avoid live fallen lines etc. They then have to get out there and inspect the network and start repairs.

I have nothing but respect for linesman. I've seen first hand after Larry and Yasi the amount of work they do, working round the clock, sometimes in crappy weather. It took two weeks for most of the power to be restored each time and that was with crews from down south coming up to help out. So a day without power? They did a great job then.

Whatever the category, it is not a pleasant experience to go through. Good to hear Central QLD members are safe. Be careful out there.

Couple of pics from some of the damage to our yard.

This tree was about 25 years old. My Dad had planted it when I was a child.

The big tree that takes up a good portion of the photo, usually you can't see any daylight through it because it is so dense. It got one hell of a haircut

The power still isn't on at our place. My wife gave up this morning and called them... Turns out they have actually forgotten to do the necessary work on our street, somehow. No idea how long this means they'll take to sort it out. But as mych as I understand how difficult it must be to resolve things after ab event like this... Not happy Jan!