Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best and worst of SDCC 2018?

Even G1 had unrelated name reuses.
    Lightspeed and Lightspeed, Sky High and Sky High, Barrage and Barrage, Flame and Flame etc. Also, remember that Cloud Starscream was a redeco of Generations Blitzwing, so the similarity between Blitzwing and Starscream isn't a wholly new thing.

Besides, how many other Bayformers look like one character but is named after another?
    e.g. the black and white police car that looks like Stakeout is actually Barricade!
    Then there are those which are nothing alike, such as Rampage etc. etc. etc. Also, having Starscream on Earth in 1987 might create continuity issues with the first live action film.

Anyway, back on topic...

Best of the SDCC reveals for me were CHUG Swindler and Bumblebee Movie Deluxe figure. Worst would be that Ultra Class Cyberverse toy. Geez... in 1996 Hasbro gave us Ultra Class figures like Optimus Primal which, in relative terms, rivals Masterpiece Beast Convoy. The original Ultra Class figures, like many BW figures, were ahead of its time. The Cyberverse Ultra Class figure looks pretty poor by 2018 standards. Forget rivalling MPs, it looks like it's already outclassed by the Scout Class toys.

The animation style/quality of the Cyberverse cartoon doesn't look great to me. Is it still being animated in Japan or is it all in-house stateside Hasbro animation now? Story-wise I do like how the Autobots and Decepticons appear to be a united faction. I hope that this is the actual premise of the show and that they run with it. The idea of a reunified post-war Cybertron is something that hasn't really been explored in the cartoon but has most notably been explored in the IDW comics (despite John Barber's appalling command of the English language).

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    Starscream is Blitzwing.
    Sorry, I missed this bit of news. Can someone post us a link/reference/source?
    Cheers in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ode to a Grasshopper View Post
    Sorry, I missed this bit of news. Can someone post us a link/reference/source?
    Cheers in advance.
    Here's one
    http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/07/20/s...e-panel-368692

Always happy to hear about a new Hound

I’m about 50/50 with purchasing some of the new Seige releases so kinda happy to be saving a little bit of money and not having to worry about space in the man-cave to display them.

Probably not getting any of the BBee film merch.

Most disappointing news (or lack of news) was no Seige Decepticons announced. Surely they are to come though.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Quote Originally Posted by M-bot View Post
    Most disappointing news (or lack of news) was no Seige Decepticons announced. Surely they are to come though.
    Rumours circulating that they're going to be shown at NYCC, which is in October.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    Rumours circulating that they're going to be shown at NYCC, which is in October.
    How much you wanna bet that by then they will be well and truly leaked?

The description of "Decepticons as revolutionaries, Autobots as counter faction" still seems odd to me...

I have been wondering if that maybe the Decepticons will have a different gimmick? Maybe Seige could be like Energon - where both sides had Energon stars and scouts, but the deluxes up had combining for the Autobots and third/attack mode for the 'Cons. There's some Decepticon Micromaster patrol names in the mix, but that's about all we know.

I am so bored of the same handful of characters getting new figures over and over and over and over again. In some ways, the Classics/Universe/Generations has become the worst thing about the Franchise because it is so G1 heavy. There are other Generations. The line isn't called Generation.

Where are the awesome G2 toys getting redone? New Beats? Hell, it's time to start celebrating RiD soon! But we won't! We'll get some new figures for some more G1 characters again! Did we really need every G1 character to get a new figure? Don't get me wrong, we get some inspired figures in this line and that's great, but, shit, this franchise does not die with G1!

FatalityPitt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gouki View Post
    I am so bored of the same handful of characters getting new figures over and over and over and over again. In some ways, the Classics/Universe/Generations has become the worst thing about the Franchise because it is so G1 heavy. There are other Generations. The line isn't called Generation.

Where are the awesome G2 toys getting redone? New Beats? Hell, it's time to start celebrating RiD soon! But we won't! We'll get some new figures for some more G1 characters again! Did we really need every G1 character to get a new figure? Don't get me wrong, we get some inspired figures in this line and that's great, but, shit, this franchise does not die with G1!
    Ssshhhh, the geewun people will hear you and go on a rampage.

But yeah, I totally agree. I was thinking lately that it would be nice to get more Beast Wars stuff. I thought Optimus Primal winning the 2018 fan vote would be a sign that it was time for Beast Wars to make a proper return. While I appreciate the Leader class Optimal Optimus in PotP, it would have been great to see a full line dedicated to Beast Wars. It would be a nice break from Transformers that just transform into more boring cars and planes (even if they are futuristic). Would be cool to get more modern iterations of classic Beast Wars characters like Tarantulas.

I genuinely cannot understand how Tarantulas has not had an original figure since the 1990s.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.