View Poll Results: Do the Generations "Targetmasters" count separately?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 56.25%
  • No

7 43.75%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Counting Generations "Targetmasters"

Default Counting Generations "Targetmasters"

Case for the Affirmative
    + Unlike other Targetmaster partners (which currently do not count under Article 02 of the UCM), these Transformers have independent alt modes, arguably making them Transformers in their own right like Mini-Cons (which do count under Article 03).

Case for the Negative
    - The level of engineering is far below that of a Mini-Con and more akin of a Targetmaster partner. Breast Force partners also have independent alt modes, but do not count under UCM Article 02.

Point for Consideration
    Could these figures be sold separately?
    If a toy like Reflector were sold separately, without Skrapnel or any other Legends Class Transformer to accompany it, would most people still purchase it? In other words, do you think that these toys are good enough as Transformers in their own right, and thus worthy to be counted separately? Note that I've deliberately said "most people" and not "you," because as dedicated collectors, many of us probably would buy these moulds individually (just as some of us have forked out premium prices for the Japanese Headmaster and Godmaster Warriors, which do count under a Special Exemption in Article 02). But I'm talking about your average TF consumer (kids, casual collectors etc.). Because I think this is the key reason why most people elected for Mini-Cons to count separately, but not ~master partners.

In any case, I've created this poll to get a general consensus as to what people think. After that, I will amend the UCM to reflect the result (rather than creating a new article, which I don't think is necessary).

Due to the lack of a "I don't care" option, I voted "yes".

I say "no" as they're essentially useless on their own & would be more or less unsellable.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

To the general public, they probably wouldn't sell well, unless they sold them in 3-packs similar to the Unicron Trilogy at low prices. That being said, releasing characters like micromasters would help sell them to fans wanting Classics Micromasters, even if they are in the form of a Targetmaster.

Blazemaster has a proud place in my Classics collection as Classics Blazemaster and I would love to have more characters like that in 3 packs or as bonuses to larger figures (such as Generations legends and deluxes) to fill up micromaster collections.

I liked minicons (the Cybertron ones anyway) when I was a young child and the characters didn't really matter to me. They have both a robot and vehicle mode, as well as a gun mode. That would sell pretty well to your random child who's not too picky about characters.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Reflector is a bit of a silly toy, but I still spent about $15 on him after postage, since I didn't even want Skrapnel. I do think they're better toys than most Mini-Cons.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    Blazemaster has a proud place in my Classics collection as Classics Blazemaster and I would love to have more characters like that in 3 packs or as bonuses to larger figures (such as Generations legends and deluxes) to fill up micromaster collections.
    I think you meant Blast Master rather than Blazemaster.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I think you meant Blast Master rather than Blazemaster.
    I was referring to the 1990 Micromaster:http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Blaze_Master

Forgot the space.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Ah, right. Actually, that toy's name has no space, whereas the G1 version does.

The way I count is by the individual. So since every Targetmaster I know of has his/her own individual consciousness in the western canon I count them separate. So for example Ginrai is one character for the whole set, but Powermaster Optimus Prime counts as two because Hi-Q has his own mind.

I also keep track of a separate number of how many sets.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    The way I count is by the individual. So since every Targetmaster I know of has his/her own individual consciousness in the western canon I count them separate. So for example Ginrai is one character for the whole set, but Powermaster Optimus Prime counts as two because Hi-Q has his own mind.

I also keep track of a separate number of how many sets.
    That's exactly how I do it