1 12.50%
  • Not even interested

0 0%

Thread: Toy Review - Legendary Optimus Prime

Default Toy Review - Legendary Optimus Prime

LEGENDURRY OPTIMUS PRIME
    Series - Bumblebee
    Size/class - Leader
    New/remould/redeco - New (heavily based on AOE Voyager OP)
    Wave - 1
    Released here - NA (Japan: October 2018)
    Approximate Retail Price - $85
    Approximate Size - 30cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Marmon 97 truck
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Weapon storage in robot and vehicle modes
    Main Colours - red, blue
    Main Accessories - rifle

Special thanks to Tha Phantom for supplying Legendary Optimus Prime
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 6th November 2018 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Link added

Cheers for posting Gok!

I absolutely adore this figure. It's true that it is essentially an upsized AOE voyager, but the changes made have only improved what was already a good toy into a great one. He looks sweet hauling MP-10's trailer too in truck mode!
    Love your work, Takara.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Phantom View Post
    Cheers for posting Gok!

I absolutely adore this figure. It's true that it is essentially an upsized AOE voyager, but the changes made have only improved what was already a good toy into a great one. He looks sweet hauling MP-10's trailer too in truck mode!
    Love your work, Takara.
    ^^ THIS! Love this figure-only thing is I'm not a massive fan of how the gun actually looks (though love how it transforms and hides in vehicle mode) and mine's hips are a tad loose. Also didn't need the paint on the feet.
    But very very happy to have him, loved the OG mold

Uh, just to clarify, those are my photos of Tha Phantom's Legendary Optimus Prime next to my Voyager Primes on my couch. While the toy in question isn't mine, I have physically seen and handled the toy and did take these photos. Being midnight I was too tired to type up a spiel, so I just let the photos do the talking (a picture is worth a thousand words, as they say).

But as Tha Phantom has rightly said, this toy - while a whole new mould - is essentially an upsizing of the Voyager figure. There are a few new features here and there, notably:
    + The middle wheel being able to raise up to sit on the thigh instead of just resting on the lower leg
    + Hands can open and close (although they've sacrificed the 5mm post gimmick)
    + Changeable face
    + A few extra panels for additional visual model accuracy; e.g. blue panels on the back, additional leg panels etc.
    + A screen-accurate gun that can transform for storage in robot and vehicle mode
    + Compatible with MP10's trailer
    ...and of course, various cosmetic differences.

But otherwise this is basically a larger version of the Voyager, and I mean that in a good way. It reminds me of toys like Studio Series Starscream, which is basically an upsize of the Deluxe, but it just works so well on that toy that it supersedes the previous Voyager Starscreams!

I'm not usually a fan of upsized toys. Beast Machines Cheetor, Energon Megatron, Cybertron Starscream etc. - in most cases I prefer the smaller version of the toy. Here I don't think that either the Voyager or Leader is better or worse than the other (given the difference in size and price) - I think that they're both just as good as each other in relative terms. But the Leader is still definitely a good Leader despite basically being an upsized Voyager.

Would I recommend it? Well... if having a Marmon 97 Optimus Prime at the same Leader Class scale as your other Bayformers Primes is something that appeals to you, then sure. While I really admire this toy, I'm happy enough with my Voyagers. But this Leader is definitely a really nice figure and well worth getting if it's something that interests you.

I voted "Yes" on the poll, because the poll question is always asking us if the toy is "Worth buying?", and my answer is yes. It's worth its asking price IMO. The poll isn't asking, "Would you buy it?" Not a toy that I'm personally interested in buying, but if you are thinking about it I'd say that it's definitely worth considering as it is quite a nice toy.

Has this been released here last month as it says? If so where? Just a specialty store? Or is that a copy/paste error?

I do want this, but if it's out here I won't order online.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Has this been released here last month as it says? If so where? Just a specialty store? Or is that a copy/paste error?

AKAIK it's not coming to Western retail, but HLJ etc have it online, it got released at the end of October to them

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post

It's a Takara only toy as far as I know, but don't be surprised if it ends up in the Studio Series later on in a rusty AOE deco. This is pure speculation on my part, but I doubt we have seen the last of this mold.

The off-topic discussion has been deleted as it has been left up long enough, and the point has now been dealt with, without the need for repetition... particularly since it is outnumbering the on-topic posts (the comments and reviews of this toy).

You don't have to have the toy to be able to comment on it either, as many people comment on new toys before they get them, and one of the poll options "not even interested" is for people who don't have the toy and don't want to get it, so are still allowed to comment on why.
    This is how it the reviews have always been, to be inclusive of everyone, regardless of if you have the toy, don't have the toy, or just had a test drive of someone else's, and if you don't agree with that concept, please let me or a staff member you trust, know why.... because nothing is ever perfect, and improvements are always possible, if proposed the right way.