Thread: eBay Valet service

Default eBay Valet service

Got an email about this today...

Introducing eBay Valet, the new service helping you sell your pre-loved items with minimum effort. Simply pack your stuff into a box and our expert selling partner will collect, list and sell your items for you
    I'm going to give it a try after Christmas for those things I can't be bothered doing my own listings for and don't really care about getting much for, but getting something would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post

I'm going to give it a try after Christmas for those things I can't be bothered doing my own listings for and don't really care about getting much for, but getting something would be nice.
    Cool, let us know how it goes

I'm curious, but can't find any info on the commission percentage. It isn't in their FAQs which makes me suspicious
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    I'm curious, but can't find any info on the commission percentage. It isn't in their FAQs which makes me suspicious
    What's everyone's guess? I'd be surprised if sellers pocket anything higher than 50% after final value fees, listing fees including descriptions and stock photos (good luck for obscure items without boxes) and then paypal fees.

its 22% commission from fishpond themselves after minusing the handling fee (i presume it's the shipping price and whateva their handling fee is)

http://www.fishpond.com.au/helpdesk....estion_id=1176

not sure if ebay charges extra on top of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post

Great, so now bogans instead of using charity bins for garbage tips will take advantage of this service!

"For sale, 10 year old yellow ashtray with decorative stains and assorted odours. Must be seen to be believed. A real eyesore. Bid now!"

Only bogan ashtrays with a barcode are eligible though. I guess to weed out junk, loose opened items without packaging, etc
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

I did end up using this to see how it would go. I packed up a postbox full of DVDs and some video games and sent it off (free postage although added to my "bill" which I have to pay off before I get any money from the items that are sold)

Took about a month before my items got listed. During this month I had no updates from Fishpond. No tracking number. No idea if they'd got my items at all. Eventually though they got listed.

Despite the name eBay Valet service, I can find no evidence that my items are actually sold on eBay. I've done a search on a few of the most obscure things I'd listed and couldn't find mine.

They are listed on Fishpond.com.au though. Under a variety of seller names (not all under one seller). Not sure this is the best idea as some things are better as a set and would be better offered from the sale seller.

Some are listed for much more than I would have listed them for it, but it's based on some algorithim of recent sales/listings of similar items apparently.

Over the last month four items have sold, two video games and two DVDs. I've made about $10

I can no longer see the items listed under my account, but as I got a note for a sale today they are still being sold.

I assume at some point they'll remainder the items but I guess for the moment random sales might throw me a few dollars here and there.

Overall, I got rid of a pile of things and I get some random extra payments for them, so not a bad thing all around, but I'm in no hurry to sell anything further through this service.

Intriguing. I had no idea this existed. I suppose the "must have a barcode" requirement sets a limit on what can reasonably be sold. Unfortunate that I ditched all my DVD cases and put everything in sleeves years ago. Ah well. Thanks for sharing the feedback.