Thread: Car sized Autobot Ark model

Default Car sized Autobot Ark model

Built by a fan group in Guatemala (Central America), is a giant sized model of the original cartoon Autobot Ark spaceship... with removable panels and big enough to fit classicverse Autobot toys.
    Very nice... now I want one.

bowspearer Guest

Something felt "off" about it and I initially couldn't put my finger on it, then I realised what it was. I'd describe it as unfinished as there's still one thing they need to do with it to get it 100%. The problem is that by making every single monitor and screen a monocolour BSOD blue, the whole thing feels like it lacks authenticity. Much like the way that G1 Optimus Prime's trailer was brought to life as a command centre by some cleverly designed and placed stickers, those blank blue quadrilaterals need to be brought to life with some kind of decals or Arduino based LCD screens which bring those display panels to life.

In fact I just left them the following comment on the photo of the bridge:

At the risk of getting dogpiled here, I feel the need to offer some constructive criticism. When I first saw this particular photo, something felt "off" to me and I couldn't put my finger on it, then I realised what it was - those viewscreens.

By making them all a monocolour "blue screen of death" blue, it destroys the illusion and makes the whole thing feel "fake".

I'd compare this right now to G1 Optimus Prime's Trailer with unapplied stickers and Slingshot from M.A.S.K. The reason both work as command centers and create the illusion of working bases is because the stickers they come with turn plain walls into display screens which are "alive with data".

The same thing applies here. Those blue quadrilaterals completely detract from the otherwise amazing work, however if stickers were to be applied, the entire bridge would look like it was alive with activity and lift the execution of this by a factor of 100. Whether you do it with static stickers, or go for broke and put Arduino controlled LCD screens in there, I'd strongly recommend swapping out the plain blue screens, for information filled displays.
    Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing undertaking and props should absolutely be given to it as an almost complete WIP, but it's definitely not as complete a work as it could be.

It's phenomenal, I'd be very interested to see what it's made from, something strong enough to hold itself together under it's own weight, easy to work with, cheap enough to afford in a massive volume.

this would have taken hours of work. yea, they could add some detail to the monitors to give them a more 'active' appearance but on the whole I'd say it's an astounding group project.

Where would you put it Griffin? perhaps hang it from your ceiling?
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Galvatran Guest

Armchair critic.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    It's phenomenal, I'd be very interested to see what it's made from, something strong enough to hold itself together under it's own weight, easy to work with, cheap enough to afford in a massive volume.

this would have taken hours of work. yea, they could add some detail to the monitors to give them a more 'active' appearance but on the whole I'd say it's an astounding group project.

Where would you put it Griffin? perhaps hang it from your ceiling?
    Why waste an opportunity. Park it in da driveway & watch the ladies swarm.

bowspearer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Galvatran View Post
    Armchair critic.
    Exactly what problem do you have with constructive criticism being offered here?

Amazing job but I have to agree with bowspearer, the lack of life on the screens dulls the experience for me.
    It's impressive and the time, effort, and teamwork that this must have taken are nothing to take lightly, but there are certainly things to be improved that would make this dead ship more alive.
    I for one hope they take the advice for what it is, some great advice, and update those screens, then it will go from amazing to legendary.