Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223242530 ... LastLast

Thread: Transformers references in other media

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Was listening to a very old Jimeoin CD yesterday when doing the home brew and he did a skit I had completely forgotten.

We had a shower in our house and a bath but it wasn't a bath. You would hook up this thing and it would turn the shower into a bath. It was a transformer.

(Singing)Transformers, showers in disguise.

Imagine getting one of those for your kid for Christmas "But you said you wanted a Transformer"

Oh, that reminded me that Robin Williams once did a skit about Transformers too, when he was discussing how you can't get intoxicated anymore when you become a parent:

You can't be stonned because they have toys that will mess your head up! If your stonned with a Transformer:

"It's a Truck, It's a Robot, It's a Truck - WHAT THE F**K IS IT!?"

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Oh, that reminded me that Robin Williams once did a skit about Transformers too, when he was discussing how you can't get intoxicated anymore when you become a parent:

You can't be stonned because they have toys that will mess your head up! If your stonned with a Transformer:

"It's a Truck, It's a Robot, It's a Truck - WHAT THE F**K IS IT!?"

Live @ the Met! BUAHAHAHAHA!!!!! My favorite Robin Williams special!
    WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Snarler, Mainframe, Chop Shop, Ransack CHUG: Spin Out, Cordon, Brotropolis Rescue MASTERPIECE: Acid Storm
    ENERGON: Six Shot

It sounds like David Kaye could be voicing BW Megatron in a skit on Robot Chichen this weekend (in America), and a portion (or the entire skit) has been posted up on facebook.

^Parental Advisory for younger members (or members thinking about watching this at work or in front of family): contains some coarse language.

Transformers just got a bad rap in this article about loot boxes ruining lives:

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/progra...-boxes/9485856

Quote Originally Posted by Lint View Post

How can someone spend $50,000 on a game app (which gives them nothing in return to show for it)... and not think that they have a problem after just $100.

I agree that loot boxes in games are designed to be addictive and are an attractive form of 'gambling' available to whoever plays. but I also agree that these people clearly have a problem and should have stopped long before they got in the spot they are in, regardless of the other traumas in their lives at the time.

Whether it's something that needs to be legislated is up for debate. I'm pretty sure you can set locks on these games that don't allow the user to automatically spend money on in game purchases so that parents don't have kids blow out their cards.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by Lint View Post

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    How can someone spend $50,000 on a game app (which gives them nothing in return to show for it)... and not think that they have a problem after just $100.
    Hey, I can understand, the game they are discussing (Earth Wars) is the game app I have spent more on than any other.

Of course that equals a whopping $7.99

And even then the only reason I did it was I pressed the wrong button one day and wasted 6 months worth of cyber coins I’d hoarded, so in a once-off shelled out a whopping eight bucks and replaced them.

I have been a member of Alliances where the top players bitch about how they spend so much each event on recharges (often up to $150) and the rest of us don’t - but it’s their choice, and frankly a silly one

For anyone not up with the latest in gaming, loot boxes are a big issue in games right now. Star Wars Battlefront II (the one from EA released last November not the one from a decade ago) has predatory loot boxes and subsequently various governments and groups have woken up to their use in games.

Some people argue that they are a form of gambling and need to be regulated (note that nobody with half a brain is banned but rather "regulated").

Others argue that because you get an in game item not money they are not gambling and totally ok.

America will probably have a hard time regulating them because of the supreme court ruling in Schwarzenegger V EMA in which video games were declared protected speech which means the government can't regulate them.

However in parts of Europe and here in Australia things look more positive with government bodies recognising loot boxes as gambling and beginning the slow process of updating laws.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    For anyone not up with the latest in gaming, loot boxes are a big issue in games right now. Star Wars Battlefront II (the one from EA released last November not the one from a decade ago) has predatory loot boxes and subsequently various governments and groups have woken up to their use in games.

Some people argue that they are a form of gambling and need to be regulated (note that nobody with half a brain is banned but rather "regulated").

Others argue that because you get an in game item not money they are not gambling and totally ok.

America will probably have a hard time regulating them because of the supreme court ruling in Schwarzenegger V EMA in which video games were declared protected speech which means the government can't regulate them.

However in parts of Europe and here in Australia things look more positive with government bodies recognising loot boxes as gambling and beginning the slow process of updating laws.

There was a South Park episode about it all many years ago, as Stan got addicted and kept doing all these little transactions which added up to thousands of dollars.

Sadly though, its these addicted people that make the games possible for the rest of us. The game designers need the money to make them and keep going with the updates, and if people aren't playing the games die, much like a few previous TF app games have done.

I think I've heard it said that 95% of the profits from these app games only comes from 5% of the players. Again, sad for them but if they were not doing so then people that never spend money on their apps like me wouldn't get to keep playing.

It's one of the very few cases where instead of the minority spoiling things for the majority, the minority actually make it possible for the majority to have their fun.