Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: io9 reveals upcoming RID toys

Just had a look at the actual article (saw the pics on other TF sites) and had to laugh at this:

Few toy lines have thrived as long as the Transformers have, but those of us who grew up in the ‘80s probably barely recognize the Autobots and Decepticons you’ll now find in toy stores.
    ...except of course for the Titans Return toyline which is full of nothing but toys based on the ones that people grew up in the 80s with.

(Well except for Stripes and maybe G2 Optimus Prime)

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    ...except of course for the Titans Return toyline which is full of nothing but toys based on the ones that people grew up in the 80s with.
    As well as the overall Classicsverse/CHUGUR line which is now in its 10th year. This author...

Blurr & Soundwave are good, Cyclonus & Skywarp are ok but I'm really liking Bludgeon

First time I'm actually interested in one of these newer series lines. What are the symbols on the figures like? I absolutely hate that stupid ring around them, would I be better off covering it over or would peel of or something? They sorta look like they're just stickers. Might get Blurr. Might get a seeker too if I can decide on a suitable head replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    As well as the overall Classicsverse/CHUGUR line which is now in its 10th year. This author...
    The author has pretty much written a gift buying guide with Christmas being around the corner

It's a shame we seem to be going back to characters based on G1 instead of the wacky new beastial cons we've had the last few years.

Still, some of these look pretty neat
    Soundwave is... Odd. So beefy. And that blank prime face... Big change. But still looks pretty neat

I'll probably end up getting most if not all the Warriors and legions

And maybe the activator Soundwave

I hope there is plenty more to come from RiD

Quote Originally Posted by Keidatron View Post
    First time I'm actually interested in one of these newer series lines. What are the symbols on the figures like? I absolutely hate that stupid ring around them, would I be better off covering it over or would peel of or something? They sorta look like they're just stickers. Might get Blurr. Might get a seeker too if I can decide on a suitable head replacement.
    The faction symbols are on stickers that work with the smartphone game
    None of the ones I have appear to be peeling off yet. And I doubt they would naturally any time soon
    Unfortunately there is a moulded indent on each figure for the sticker
    So if you peel them off you'll just have a large moulded circular indent in their body where it was
    I've gotten used to the stickers personally
    But if they bother you but you want to get one
    Your best bet may be sculpting/ painting over it or something

Quote Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
    It's a shame we seem to be going back to characters based on G1 instead of the wacky new beastial cons we've had the last few years.
    It's because it's what most fans want, although I agree with your preference for seeing more new/original characters.

...but I'm not personally a fan of RiD's thing where all the good guys have humanoid robot modes and the baddies all have bestial robot modes. (-_-)

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    ...but I'm not personally a fan of RiD's thing where all the good guys have humanoid robot modes and the baddies all have bestial robot modes. (-_-)
    I agree with you there. It's kind of weird and frustrating that it was only the cons who were animal-like. So it's kind of nice to see Twinferno here being an autobot with Dragon head hands.
    Wonder if they'll make him an ex-con?

Ideally it Would be nice to see a larger mix of body types on both sides
    Humanoid: Starscream, fracture, bumblebee, Strongarm, etc
    Humanoid beast: thunderhoof, Steeljaw, Twinferno(kinda) etc
    Animal robot: Springload, underbite, etc
    Beast mode: grimlock, filch, etc

And we never saw filch's humanoid robot mode, save for a silhouette...

I don't think Warrior Blurr is a wheeljack retool, looks similar at a glance but quite different when you look closer