Thread: Hasbro trademarks the classic Transformers logo

Default Hasbro trademarks the classic Transformers logo

According to recent trademark application by Hasbro, the classic style of logo with the name split in half (Trans above Formers) is being re-acquired.

Apart from the recent usage on the handful of Gen1 reissues, I don't think it has been used on their regular packaging since the 2014 Generations toys, when Hasbro started using the vertical, one-word logo on the packaging... so maybe they are about to start using it again on their main lines again.
    (if they are currently using it on the Gen1 reissues, I don't know why they need to apply for it, as they should already have the trademark... as this doesn't look like a renewal)

perhaps they have to illustrate use of the logo before they can trademark it. I listened to a podcast recently (an RFC Minicast) that dealt with the peculiarities of trademark, IP, Patents and that sort of thing with relation to transformers. It's tricky business that's for sure. the guest is now a writer but he's been a Lawyer in that field for years.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    perhaps they have to illustrate use of the logo before they can trademark it. I listened to a podcast recently (an RFC Minicast) that dealt with the peculiarities of trademark, IP, Patents and that sort of thing with relation to transformers. It's tricky business that's for sure. the guest is now a writer but he's been a Lawyer in that field for years.
    I still don't fully understand a lot of what he said in that podcast and have been meaning to go back and list to it again. I would definitely recommend anyone on the boards interested in getting a better understanding of what Hasbro/Takara have to do to keep certain names, designs and rights etc. go have a listen here