Page 9 of 82 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141929 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Stuff

Slave labour isn't just something from the 19th century... we just outsource it now, to be out of sight so that it isn't visible enough to the general public, who would call for better treatment or payment (like the US Civil war 150 years ago).
    Big business and governments just don't want it to be common knowledge because it is more profitable, and keeps inflation (and subsequently wage rates that are pegged to CPI) lower.

It might not be obvious to most people a world away, but we've seen leaked footage and photos/info of what their working conditions are like, and how most are forced to work for 12-18 hours a day and still struggle to cover their basic living expenses (the food, clothing, and accommodation that was given to black slaves in Europe and America in the 18th-19th Centuries). The only difference is that contemporary "slaves" are not executed for trying to leave their masters... but can still be punished, because it would be a breach of contract from signing away their rights just to get the job.

(end of rant from someone who is a strong advocate of fair workers rights)

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Slave labour isn't just something from the 19th century... we just outsource it now, to be out of sight so that it isn't visible enough to the general public, who would call for better treatment or payment (like the US Civil war 150 years ago).
    Big business and governments just don't want it to be common knowledge because it is more profitable, and keeps inflation (and subsequently wage rates that are pegged to CPI) lower.

It might not be obvious to most people a world away, but we've seen leaked footage and photos/info of what their working conditions are like, and how most are forced to work for 12-18 hours a day and still struggle to cover their basic living expenses (the food, clothing, and accommodation that was given to black slaves in Europe and America in the 18th-19th Centuries). The only difference is that contemporary "slaves" are not executed for trying to leave their masters... but can still be punished, because it would be a breach of contract from signing away their rights just to get the job.

(end of rant from someone who is a strong advocate of fair workers rights)

Kinda like how Amazon treat their workers.

Which brings us to where we are today...

Cool, I saw a teaser for this a year or so ago, good to see it complete

Is it just me, or do the Fast & Furious 7 ads on TV really play very hard on the death of Paul Walker? In a very meta textual way of course. Seems a tad exploitative to me, in that the ads to promote the film exist to make the film as popular and profitable as possible. I think if I was Paul Walker's family, I'd feel a bit aggrieved.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Quote Originally Posted by M-bot View Post
    Is it just me, or do the Fast & Furious 7 ads on TV really play very hard on the death of Paul Walker? In a very meta textual way of course. Seems a tad exploitative to me, in that the ads to promote the film exist to make the film as popular and profitable as possible. I think if I was Paul Walker's family, I'd feel a bit aggrieved.
    I had forgotten they were still going with that series.
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

I actually thought that they weren't cashing in, and was surprised that they were missing out on that opportunity. Most of the ads I've seen on TV didn't have much of him in it, nor did they make mention of "the last movie role" like they do with other big actors who had recently died.

Just saw an ad for Robots in Disguise 1-step and 3-step changer toys during The Simpsons.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Just saw an ad for Robots in Disguise 1-step and 3-step changer toys during The Simpsons.
    I saw that too, bought a smile to my face, which is more than could be said of the episode of The Simpsons

I saw it the other day too... during an early evening tv show that will remain nameless.