Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some my undertanding on KOs

Angry Some my undertanding on KOs

Hi,

I want share some knowledge of these KOs. I check ebay.au and a Chinese ebay equivalent called taobao.com for transformers.

As these toys are all made in China now, so I want list all different "versions" of TF toys seen from chinese market. (totally a mess!)

1, genuine US version: neeless to say, these are we see in target or toy r us. Properly boxed, good quality (most of time). TF sold in Aus are usually US version. US version tends to simplify the paint to reduce chemical exposures, or cut certain fragile parts in order to increase overall durability.

2, genuine Japanese version or some of them called henkei version: this group included japanese G1 reissues (in japanese box) and japanese universe classics, black box MP series, etc.

3, G1 KOs, in China KO usually refers to "high quality KOs". I heard some of the KOs are made by Hong Kong company with permission from Takara because re-issue g1 toy has been proved satisfying small group of fans but mostly losing money (I can't verify this).

4, KT version, or "low quality KOs". I don't know what T stands for, but usually these are things not worth pay attention.

5, Factory directs. These are unboxed toys, directed from factory. They are born from same product line of genuine boxed toys, but deliveried out of factory without packing for various versions. Honest sellers in china will sell these with a decent plastic bag packed at cheaper price. Unhonest sellers may find box pack themselves and sell at retail price. You won't see any factory direct of metroplex but you will see lots of rotf OPs, etc.

6, Korean version, they have korean language packaging. In Korea, transformers are distributed by a partner company of takara. So all TFs sold in korea are neither in english nor japanese box. I heard their quality is same as japanese henkei versions but cannot verify.

In china honest seller may sell all of different version in his/her shop but warning customers which category it belongs to. If not, it's wrong.
    ------------------------

How to identify KOs?

Based on my experience (if wrong, correct me),

If any new G1 toys boxed in "original" english packaging, but without "Commemorative Series", they are KOs.

G1 japanese box without "复刻版" paint on upper left corner, then KOs, but maybe in good quality.

Metroplex and G1 devastator has many KOs. Have to judeg by naked eyes. Don't buy from Internet.

Some of the 25th US version aniversary toys, in my opinion, even worse than some KOs.

good luck for all (including me)

Recent toys, such as rotf and 08 animated, supplies are still high even the genuine have only 5% profits, I believe no one bother to KO them. But be carefull those MIB (no S) or 100% complete, they can be factory direct, which can be same as genuine or can be those did not pass quality control. But sellers have no knowledge on this usually.

Quote Originally Posted by 浪子欣欣
    5, Factory directs. These are unboxed toys, directed from factory. They are born from same product line of genuine boxed toys, but deliveried out of factory without packing for various versions. Honest sellers in china will sell these with a decent plastic bag packed at cheaper price. Unhonest sellers may find box pack themselves and sell at retail price. You won't see any factory direct of metroplex but you will see lots of rotf OPs, etc.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that these factory directs aren't legally sanctioned by Hasbro/Takara, rather factory employees or insiders smuggle them out of the factory and then distribute them. If this is true then no amount of retailer honesty would really change the legality of this practice.

6, Korean version, they have korean language packaging. In Korea, transformers are distributed by a partner company of takara. So all TFs sold in korea are neither in english nor japanese box. I heard their quality is same as japanese henkei versions but cannot verify.
    Transformers in Korea are distributed by a company called Sonokong (孫悟空). The toys are the same quality as Takara, but sometimes their tech spec stats can be incorrect, and often the toys aren't even packaged with the correct tech specs card (or sometimes none at all)! The Autobot insignia on the tower of their Brave Maximus is factory applied upside-down. But otherwise they're the same as what you'd get with Takara.

G1 japanese box without "复刻版" paint on upper left corner, then KOs, but maybe in good quality.
    I think you meant "復刻版." Be aware that only the 復刻版トランスフォーマー (Fukkokuban (Reissue Edition) Transformers) and Encore series feature the word 復刻版 on their packaging. Other Japanese reissue series such as Transformers Collection and Collectors Edition and numerous exclusives do not have this.

Metroplex and G1 devastator has many KOs. Have to judeg by naked eyes. Don't buy from Internet.
    Devastator's never been officially reissued, so anyone claiming otherwise is lying.

Some of the 25th US version aniversary toys, in my opinion, even worse than some KOs.
    It's unfortunate when a counterfeit is of better quality than a legitimate reproduction, but it still doesn't change the fact that it's a counterfeit.

Thanks for sharing Quite an interesting read.

Quote Originally Posted by 浪子欣欣 View Post
    How to identify KOs?

Based on my experience (if wrong, correct me),

If any new G1 toys boxed in "original" english packaging, but without "Commemorative Series", they are KOs.

To assist in spotting a fake, HIGHENDTFS is a great resource to use. There are also guides posted on TFW2005.

And knowing is half the battle! (couldn't help myself ).
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Default Re

Hey as for your question,

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that these factory directs aren't legally sanctioned by Hasbro/Takara, rather factory employees or insiders smuggle them out of the factory and then distribute them. If this is true then no amount of retailer honesty would really change the legality of this practice."

You are right. But at least an honest seller can:

1, pack factory directs in their own bag
    2, have an eye check before sending out.( but different people have different standard here, they think "acceptible" does not mean I think it is "acceptible")
    3, include accessories for you(guns, swords, etc)

after that, it's our luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 浪子欣欣 View Post
    3, G1 KOs, in China KO usually refers to "high quality KOs". I heard some of the KOs are made by Hong Kong company with permission from Takara because re-issue g1 toy has been proved satisfying small group of fans but mostly losing money (I can't verify this).
    They have no permission from Takara - that's just a lie the sellers use to scam consumers. The only Chinese G1 reissues that were sanctioned and real Transformers were the ones released in the late eighties and the nineties. All the contemporary ones are illegal knockoffs.

Although this my no means makes it official or legal - The speed by which Knock Offs reach the market, sometimes simultaneously or even ahead of the real product makes me think that the KOers are using the same molds used for the real figures licensed to HasTakTom contracted factories.

It seems that after the production of official toys is concluded, the factory owners simply move on to make their own productions to sell for themselves using the same equipment. It's possible that this is among the reasons of why TakaraTomy is moving to Vietnam aside from the production cost increase.

I'm pretty sure when I say that KO Transformers aren't made using the same molds, but rather they reverse engineer them from product 'taken' from the factories - you know, the ones you see on Ebay that have no paint apps and stamped as 'sample only'. They create new molds from these which is why parts do not fit together as well as the official releases.

The same method is used for some of the G1 KO's we see today e.g. Shockwave, however this was done with higher 'production values' than your average bootlegger.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I'm pretty sure when I say that KO Transformers aren't made using the same molds, but rather they reverse engineer them from product 'taken' from the factories - you know, the ones you see on Ebay that have no paint apps and stamped as 'sample only'. They create new molds from these which is why parts do not fit together as well as the official releases.

The same method is used for some of the G1 KO's we see today e.g. Shockwave, however this was done with higher 'production values' than your average bootlegger.
    I think that applies to older G1 KOs but the speed in which 'new mold' KOs come out makes me think that they have a common factory/equipment to the official ones even if lower materials are used to make them.

The dude didn't come here to discuss the legality or method by which KO's are created, he just wanted to share knowledge and experience on how to identify and classify produced transformers.

Thankyou btw!

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    TakaraTomy is moving to Vietnam
    not sure why FFN is sooo against this on TFW2005, but i like this news!!!