Quote Originally Posted by bruticus View Post
thanks for the tips mate.
i cant believe that you ghetto'd a spray booth out of paper... nice...
what did you end up using for an exhaust fan?
post a pick of it when you are free.
Haha, well it's nothing fancy but it stops the paint from going everywhere (when I'm not knocking the airbrush over that is). Because I'm mainly using acrylics these days I just keep the laundry door open and that's about it. Do you recommend the exhaust fan option? Yours sounds pretty cool I must say. I don't really know much about exhaust fans in terms of airbrushing - does it have some sort of catcher/filter that absorbs the paint?

havent had issues with the moisture trap on mine yet so never thought about using a second inline moisture trap as well.
talk about "double bagging" dude. lol.
I dare say you've probably not had an issue due to using (at least I'm assuming you use) a compressor with an air tank. The issue seems to affect the smaller compressors like my little whippersnapper.

yep... you're right about the airbrush holder... need to get me one as well.
actually i might duck into stanbridges now to see if they have any.
Stanbridges eh? You'll have to let us know if they have anything up to scratch, otherwise I think many people use those cleaning station thingies that double as a holder.

the suggestion i might add, is that if you can, try to get yourself a side gravity feed air brush. the cup is located on the side so it doesnt block your view when you paint close up, and it is still a gravity feed which is "suppose" to be better for control and detail painting compared to a bottom feed. its not essential, but if you are just starting out then why not.
That does sound good actually, do you reckon the paint filters into the nib just as well? It would have to be on a bit of an angle wouldn't it?

also, if you can, try and get an airtank. its suppose to be better for the hot weather. what you do is paint using the air from the tank only and all the air compressor does is occasionally top up the tank when it runs below a certain limit (top up level is much at a higher pressure than your max working pressure so you still have a steady flow). that way if your air compressor overheats and hits a thermal cut out, you can still continue painting with the air supplied from the tank. plus the air compressor is not on constantly which means longer times for it to overheat.
Excellent advice, and something I wish I knew before selecting my compressor! Can I ask, are these kind of compressors much more expensive, and do they make less or more noise than ones that don't have a tank?

lastly, an air brush is great for dusting and cleaning your transformers as well.
add a bit of water and bam...you also got yourself a nice way to cool yourself down in the summer...lol. (just make sure you clean it real good first )
LOL, you can also run a fake tanning business on the side, just don't let the girls make you rush that last coat of paint because they want their toosh to look like a baked bean!

not sure why your compressor is maxing out at 23psi though. it sounds like you havent adjusted your pressure control valve and its maxing out the output pressure at the valve level. but you did mention you cranked up your idle pressure to 50+ psi which means you would have adjusted the pressure control valve, so not sure whats happening there? maybe you have a second valve somewhere? i dont have an iwata or a second moisture trap so i dunno. just guessing.
My air compressor is one of life's greatest mysteries. I've called Jonathan Creek for advice but even he can't help.