Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: (JAN-2013) Hasbro Gen1 Cartoon - Comments and episode reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Skullcruncher View Post
    Back to the real world, the whole Jetfire/Skyfire situation was confusing - here on screen he was skyfire but the catalogue it was jetfire, we concluded it must just be a coincidence that they look the same!
    We must've been watching different cartoons because they (animation model vs toy) looked nothing alike to me
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    We must've been watching different cartoons because they (animation model vs toy) looked nothing alike to me
    I was 5 or 6 how old were you?

There was Skyfire on the cartoon and Jetfire in the catalogues and they looked kind of alike (both big white and red jets) but it got more confusing that the comics had Skyfire in them but he was called Jetfire.

I think Grimlock cleared it up though in Grim Grams that the dumb stubbies making the cartoon got the name wrong and that was enough for me.

For some reason though I never noticed until I was older that Jetfire in the catalogues looked like a veritech from Robotech

No hatred for The Early Bird Show please. I would however get up early each Saturday to watch episodes on The Early Bird Show. I was so dedicated I even remember watching some of "Only Human" while I was in hospital in 1987.

I'm not sure why I didn't tape to keep any episodes, but it just wasn't something we did in my family. I did tape and keep TFTM though. And if I could pick a video to borrow from the video shop it would be TF episodes.

I remember them being repeated in full in around 1991/92 at 330pm. Had to rush home from school to see them. I think that was the first time I ever saw the Rebirth episodes. And I missed the time they showed Five Faces of Darkness back to back in the 80s.

I rewatched all of series 1 and 2 when Madman brought them out on DVD and enjoyed them. Series 3 though I lost interest about halfway through and I would rarely revisit those episodes even today. It's all that outerspace/future/Quintesson stuff. I do like Transformers a bit more grounded. And besides the animation was better in many of the earlier eps (although there are some stinkers like The Core in there too).

I'd say most of favourite episodes come from series 2. I particularly like the two parters (Dinobot Island, Desertion of the Dinobots, Megatron's Master Plan, Key to Vector Sigma).

Quote Originally Posted by Skullcruncher View Post
    I was 5 or 6 how old were you?
    I was a child prodigy
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Megatron, I can see you loving Cyclonus.
    Sure, he's no subject to Megs, but I think you would... like his loyalty.
    Watching Galvatron beat up his troops in Five Faces was pretty funny.
    Sure, animation wasn't its best, but there is a real sense of nostalgia that results in many (including me) liking any episode, regardless of not-so great plots.
    Like Gok said, the stories may have decreased, but there's really a heavy sense of nostalgia and there's nothing wrong with that.
    Looking back, I now know how I took a carefree young life for granted.
    It seems like a paradise in my mind now, of when I was little, sitting on the floor, pretending my little matchbox construction vehicles were constructicons.
    Those were the days...
    I long for those days and now I worry about every single thing.

Megatron Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    Megatron, I can see you loving Cyclonus.
    Sure, he's no subject to Megs, but I think you would... like his loyalty.
    Hey, Bidoof. There's about as much chance of me loving Cyclonus as there is of me loving Wheelie - in other words, none. I mean, loyalty's great, sure, but it's not everything and besides, he's loyal to Galv not Megs, like you have already pointed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    Like Gok said, the stories may have decreased, but there's really a heavy sense of nostalgia and there's nothing wrong with that.
    Looking back, I now know how I took a carefree young life for granted.
    It seems like a paradise in my mind now, of when I was little, sitting on the floor, pretending my little matchbox construction vehicles were constructicons.
    Those were the days...
    I long for those days and now I worry about every single thing.
    Aww... why, what's worrying you?

I get an image in my mind now of a cute li'l Bidoof playing on the floor with his l'il bitty toys...

With the basically white hair and his silver and yellow construction vehicles. In jumpsuit one pieced pyjamas.

As for Cyclonus, I just have this weird feeling that he'll appeal to you randomly, when you get to watching S3. I have no clue as to why.

You know, the basics. Afraid of being late, (even when I'm 5 minutes early) Missing things etc. Things like that.

Remember much about the cartoon?
    Box Set DVD's sitting proudly on my shelf, know every episode by heart!

If so, what did you think of it?
    Loved it! Adored it! The be-all and end-all of cartoons!

When did you first see it?
    When the very first episode of it aired on Saturday morning cartoons here in Australia. Was (and still am) a cartoon nut and it totally blew me away. After watching He-Man and Inspector Gadget for years, he was something even better! Was an addict by the end of the opening credits.

Is it recommended viewing for others?
    Heh - when all the lads come round for a few beers, at a certain point of the evening the sport goes off and the TF DVD's come out. At work, at the end of each term when we have a relaxed day or two my class always has to watch the 86 movie. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

I haven't watched it in a couple of years, but I liked it when I was a kid, but it's quite dated now. Still like it though.

I would have been really young, cannot remember how young though. Do remember watching (and taping) the movie on tv.

Yes to see where it all began for most of us.

Most of my memories of the cartoon are fondly nostalgic. I recall being engrossed in the deep and complex storylines that were laced with intrigue and surprise.

Of course watching it as an adult I gained a different perspective, to the point where I probably avoid watching certain episodes.

I first saw it on the Early Bird Show, 1985. Like Gok, I used to get a bit irritated at the way the show was split into 3 minute segments that were sandwiched between other activities, but that was because Saturday morning was chores morning so I had to sneak watching some of the show before my parents caught me and redirected me to something else.

Of course!