Thread: Service pack 3

Default Service pack 3

Should I install service pack 3 for win xp? Will much change once installed?

Bloody oath you should mate, there's an additional couple of hundred Mbs worth of up dates after that too!
    Of which, really should be put together in one final Service Pack 4 but MS don't want to be appearing to care about Windows XP, regardless as to the fact that it is still the most widely used version of their OS to date.

i have it and no dramas, i think these service packs addresses vulnerable security issues, not sure but runs fine on mine

Quote Originally Posted by primatives View Post
    i have it and no dramas, i think these service packs addresses vulnerable security issues, not sure but runs fine on mine
    They also collect all the major updates to the OS as well as correcting bugs, so one really should ensure that they're running the latest version of their respective Operating Systems, IMO anyway.

I think the only major change is Internet Explorer is removed as an option to display on your desktop ... came about as part of the court case in Europe.

But a SP4 would be nice, though now that they have a count down until they end support for XP I can't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Burn View Post
    But a SP4 would be nice, though now that they have a count down until they end support for XP I can't see it happening.
    Yeah, those are my thoughts exactly as to why we're unlikely to see a 4th one - It'd save so much hassle though.

well according to the M$ site, XP will stop being supported in 809 days.
    So there really isnt a point or reason for them to release a new SP.
    They are trying to get consumers to buy Win 7 and are working on Win 8.
    Tho I like Win 7 a lot. So much better then anything else. But I still like XP as a back up.

VGM out...

What about the .NET framework updates? Heaps of those and some say can't remove once installed?

Quote Originally Posted by Autocon View Post
    What about the .NET framework updates? Heaps of those and some say can't remove once installed?
    Best policy mate is that if it is marked "High Priority" then download and apply the update.

My understanding of .NET Framework is minimal at best but I believe it handles quite a bit of API and Networking/Communication for most modern software; from MS products through to websites and peripheral devices, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable on the subject will clarify for you as all I can say Auto is that I've updated .NET Framework all the way up to version 4 and I'd suggest that you might as well do the same as there isn't any risk in doing it.