Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Console and Handhelds restoration Projects

Default Vintage Console and Handhelds restoration Projects

Since recently I have been bitten with the Nintendo bug and restoring old Gameboys, I figured it would be good to share my restoration attempts with other members. It would also be good to see if there are others interested in this side of gaming culture

My latest restoration Project: Nintendo GBA Advance 'Glacier'

This GBA was bought from the Games Men at just $15. Encountered faults:
    - Screen does not turn on
    - Loose battery contacts (power instability)
    - Buttons do not spring back
    - Heavily scratched screen protector.
    - No battery cover.
    - Dirty

Progress so far:

- Battery contacts cleaned. Unit is now stable.
    - Screen was perfectly fine, the connection ribbon was just slightly out of place (Possibly due to dropping it). I discovered this as the screen would briefly come on if I applied pressure on the top screen frame before disassembly.
    - Plastic case now washed and looking as new.
    Current Operational Status: Games boot up with screen functioning and GBA can be played with some difficulties due to buttons not giving the appropriate feedback.

Preliminary Post Re-Assembly functionality Test:

With damaged screen Protector

Without damaged screen Protector

Parts needed (and on their way):

- New screen protector
    - Rubber pads for buttons
    - Battery cover.

After this I will have an 'As new' fully functioning GBA
    Last edited by kup; 28th April 2014 at 09:54 AM.

That's great Kup. Was reading in the recent issue of the JB HI FI magazine 'Stack' that there is quite a market for second-hand games / consoles from the 70's, 80's, and 90's. Are you planning on selling these once you fix them up?

One of my prized possessions is my MIB SNES with MIB SNES arcade joystick. I would never part with it no matter what was offered.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Thanks!

There is still more to do as today I am expecting to receive a purple GBA and an original grey Gameboy. I am waiting to see what their needs are for repair and then make an order to the fan ran Nintendo repair shop which uses legit parts.

I already have a GameBoy 'Play it Loud!' clear version from when I was a kid. That requires little restoration aside from an incoming screen protector.

When it comes to selling, I will see how I go. I may be willing to sell if I happen to come by more busted GBs/GBAs as two would be more than enough

If anyone sees a GB/GBA cheap on ebay that you want me to fix up nice, let me know and I will be happy to do so. For a small fee of course

I have already ventured into Console repair with the PS3 with great success but that is almost like repairing a computer and not indicative of a vintage console. I will see if I can get my hands on a cheap 'non-working' SNES/NES and see how I go.

Thats a great job there Kup, have you thought of any mods for it like a backlight for the screen?

You're making me regret not picking up a supposedly dead original GB at Nexus the other day! It was only $10 .. it had no battery cover and looked like something you wouldn't want to touch!

It's amazing how much you can repair just by cleaning up stuff though - you should check out this YouTube channel, he has a heap of amazing repairs: https://www.youtube.com/user/lukemorse1.

What's wrong with the rubber contacts on that GBA? They look fine in the pic, if they're sticking that'd normally be fixed by a decent clean i think.

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    You're making me regret not picking up a supposedly dead original GB at Nexus the other day! It was only $10 .. it had no battery cover and looked like something you wouldn't want to touch!

It's amazing how much you can repair just by cleaning up stuff though - you should check out this YouTube channel, he has a heap of amazing repairs: https://www.youtube.com/user/lukemorse1.

What's wrong with the rubber contacts on that GBA? They look fine in the pic, if they're sticking that'd normally be fixed by a decent clean i think.
    Did it look something like this? That's my next project

Since I am at work, I can only do a superficial visual analysis:

The Bad:

1 - As you can see, very dirty.
    2 - No screen protector
    3 - Battery cover missing
    4 - Battery contacts have dried battery acid on them.

The Good:

1 - Structurally intact - No broken off or scratched bits.
    2 - Not chemically discoloured (yellowed). Just dirty
    3 - Buttons feel responsive
    4 - No rust, just dirt.

Potential for restoration - Excellent. A nice clean will leave the chassis as new and provided it turns on once I clean the battery contacts (which I think it will), only the screen protector and battery cover are needed which are only a couple of bucks each.

Not bad for $10

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post

Oh, for the GBA, the rubber contacts are pushed in to the point that they are cut. You can't notice it on pics but basically, they don't spring pack or make good contact. You have to push down hard.

I tried using rubber glue but that was not good. Only a mild improvement.

Nice work Kup.

I have my original Gameboy still, unfortunately I have several columns of dead pixels in the screen.
    it might just need a clean out but can you point me to this store run by console fans?
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    Nice work Kup.

I have my original Gameboy still, unfortunately I have several columns of dead pixels in the screen.
    it might just need a clean out but can you point me to this store run by console fans?
    That may not be dead pixels. It happens when the data ribbon is not making proper contact. Removing and re-inserting it should be enough.

Here:

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/Game_Boy

http://www.nintendorepairhut.com/rep...=1253681398558

Cool, I might see if I can get around to that tonight.
    I love some of the games on that little old console.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)