Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aliens in Australia

Quote Originally Posted by AJ_Prime View Post
    The Fermi Paradox sums up quite nicely the reasons why we haven't discovered intelligent life yet.
    For those that know what that is, the Wait But Why summary of the Fermi Paradox is a good place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    For those that know what that is, the Wait But Why summary of the Fermi Paradox is a good place to start.
    That was a really interesting read

It's where I learnt about the Fermi Paradox. Jaydisc introduced me to that site and there's quite a few interesting articles. The Your Family: Past, Present and Future one is pretty mindblowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    That's a really good summary, and pretty much lays out what the theory is all about. I think I recall reading this page a while ago too. On a galactic scale, it totally makes sense, of course we find it difficult to imagine time, distance and evolution on such huge scales. The notion that other intelligent life exists is both probable and romantic. The likelihood that we will ever encounter it is not incredibly likely.

Of course, if it was non-organic like Transformers then, well that would be sweet.

I always found the fact that Transformers, a race whose lifespans extend over many centuries and sometimes millennia, can be so primitive in the way they behave. To not have the capacity to transcend war seems a bit strange given how much they have supposedly "evolved". However, given that the stories are written by humans, naturally we can relate better to the stories. We also find it difficult to imagine a Utopian race, because we will always find reasons why it can't last. Also, without conflict, the stories would be bland. So I'm personally quite happy to overlook the lack of evolution in order to enjoy a good story.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ_Prime View Post
    I always found the fact that Transformers, a race whose lifespans extend over many centuries and sometimes millennia, can be so primitive in the way they behave. To not have the capacity to transcend war seems a bit strange given how much they have supposedly "evolved".
    This is why IDW Thundercracker walked out on the Decepticons and focused himself on raising a dog and becoming a screenplay writer.