Thread: Moving House - and collection tips appreciated

CoRDS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Default Moving House - and collection tips appreciated

Hi all

i need to move house very soon, (still staying in canberra) and need to do the whole pack and move thing.
    it will be the first time ive ever really done this, (last few times i moved i didnt have a collection at all and i had a parter that knew how to do all this)

I have a really large corner cabinet Specifically this one http://metrodisplay.com.au/shop/disp...sc-242-corner/

does anyone have any suggestions on how i would go about moving this beast, it does come apart but all the glass panels are very large and heavy. I'm thinking i may have to sell it off if its going to be too hard for me to move (or just throw it in a skip with the contents of my garage , ok more like 4 skips)

I'm also probably going to be downsizing my collection in the future. so if anyone in canberra has a recommendation for storage place that isnt obscenly expensive that i can store all my TF boxes and probably my whole collection in while i move things out and get moved in and work out what im going to do with my stuff that would be great.

When I moved I sold off my detolfs, but in my case I was looking to start a different style of display anyhow.
    Given that it's glass you're going to have to disassemble it and flat pack it, so personally I'd recommend selling it over risking it breaking during a move.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

I've moved with the Fantastic Furniture Detolf equivalents twice, and both times they remained assembled for the move and no breakage (and they were townhouses so up and down stairs). However that was with professional moving people.

If the shelf fits through the doors, might be worth calling around to see if they can handle it.

Re the TFs themselves - I've found the big plastic tubs you get from Bunnings are great, just put a layer of bubble wrap between each layer of figures (making sure to remove their weapons and straighten them out so they're not in weird poses). Haven't had any breakages or issues from moving.
    Good luck!

Some decent tips about general TF packing here.

I rented a nearby Kennards storage unit during my last move. I just used a small really basic unit (just an empty room with a locked roller door); and I only used it to store my Transformers toys, so I didn't need anything bigger. Had to also purchase a padlock and key, but that's not expensive. I packed my toys in various cardboard boxes, but with layers of scrunched up paper in between. Bigger and tougher toys at the bottom, smaller and less durable toys at the top.

I had about 1965 Transformers at the time.

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I'm in the process of moving just now myself.

No display cabinets to worry about (nothing on display - soon to be changed in the new place). If I were you, I wouldn't be so quick to throw out that display, looks a good one and they aren't cheap. If you have a professional mover, they should be fine with it, maybe just take the shelves out.

All figures either in the shipping boxes they came in or in the bunnings tubs.

Storage is really quite expensive at the moment, if you can get away with a half garage or smaller you should be good. However garage size or bigger and you're not only looking at $$$ but also availability can be an issue. Of course, this is from a Sydney angle, so other areas might be different.

CoRDS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

well ive moved my collection (but not the boxes yet). and ive pretty much got no room for any of them at the moment so they're all packed away in tubs. there is no way i can move here as there is just no room, so uhh if anyone in canberra wants to buy it from me. make an offer (as long as you work out how to pick it up and take it away).