Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who here has their collection insured?

Default Who here has their collection insured?

I've been meaning to get home and contents insurance for a while, and after the unit next to mine was broken into yesterday I've decided to get my arse into gear and do it.

Now I've looked into it before with RACQ (I also have my car insured with them) but there's a limit as to how much of my collection I can insure. Basically it's only a certain amount, which to my memory was around $4000.

So my question to you fine folks is, do you have your collection insured, and if so with who? Or, do you know of any companies who collections of any value?

yes its insured, with RAC (in perth),
    Some insurance companies like RAC will insure special items such as collectibles but you need to ammend your policy. They require photo documentation and you may also need to provide a written list of items to the insurance's underwriter....

i have gone snap crazy and backed up all photos on a secure network so worst case, i wont lose the photo documentation either!!!

however, i still havent got around to emailing the underwriter my list of items and their estimated current market value as there are too many to type and my collection is ever growing...

but thanks for the wake up call...i'll get onto it right now for myself so i can finalise things.

do u think low lives that break into houses will look twice at toys or do they still go straight for the tvs and the master bedrooms ?

in other words would toys be targetted ?

Quote Originally Posted by 16364279 View Post
    do u think low lives that break into houses will look twice at toys or do they still go straight for the tvs and the master bedrooms ?

in other words would toys be targetted ?
    i insured my TFS mainly against accidental fire damage or glass cabinet breakage etc...
    ...but you're right on that aspect. most of the time, burglars would rather nab stuff they can quickly carry like latops, cameras, stereo systems, phones, watches, liquor etc...rather than go for the TFS....unless they are a TF fan turn bad?

Although, i do recall another perth member being robbed and lost his TFS... i can't remember who though....

Unless they're targeting the toys because they know you're a collector, it's probably also to cover in case of fire or natural disaster.

I'm interested in covering it from all angles - fire, damage, theft. Last thing I want is to have a fire and lose everything. Insurance, in the words of Chris Rock, should be called 'incasesh-t', because you only have it in case sh-t happens.

In terms of theft, sure they go straight for the big money items like tv's and computers, but the way I see it is what's to stop them grabbing a pillow case and throwing the figures in? The main thing I'm thinking is a glass display case filled with a butt-ton of figures gives the projection of importance or value, so if someone broke in and saw it, it's not hard to work out there might be a benefit in nicking them.
    Last edited by griffin; 20th June 2009 at 05:58 PM. Reason: please censor for the kiddies, thanks.

Unfortunetly some members here have indeed had Transformers stolen

I will insure mine when I get my own place to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot
    Unfortunetly some members here have indeed had Transformers stolen
    It's a horrible feeling and I hope it never happens to anyone else. My heart sank when I came home to this one night a few years ago...

In terms of TFs the thief targetted my boxed toys, with the exception of BTA Alert, they were more of sentimental value than financial value because I tend to put my old original G1 toys (often beat up and worn) in reissue boxes and display the reissues loose. It totally sucks that my childhood Optimus Prime and Galvatron (as well as my original (not reissue) G1 Megatron, grrr!) were stolen. He might've fetched a price for Megatron because it's just that kind of toy that commands a fair price even in sub-par condition. The other toys he wouldn't have gotten much for. None of my really valuable toys like my e-Hobby or convention exclusives, which were all on one shelf at the time, got touched - because they were all displayed loose.

So I learnt that boxed toys are far more attractive to thieves than loose toys. Makes me glad that I'm a loose collector.

I think most insurance companies allows you to cover your home contents and nominate extra for any collectibles. I did some research when we first moved down to melbourne with some companies and at that point of time found GIO had the best rate and cover for what I wanted:

$x cover for general contents and extra cover of $x I nominate myself for my TFs collection which is listed on the policy. For an extra small amount they also insure my pet dog in case of injury.
    ~ JuzMel ~
    My son is taking over all my TFs!

I've had toys destroyed in a break in. They bowled over my KO devastator and Computron and stepped all over the other displayed toys when they came through my window.