Page 157 of 183 FirstFirst ... 137147152153154155156157158159160161162167177 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,570 of 1829

Thread: Transformers Venting thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Jellico View Post
    I have no love for the Movieverse but with Siege so late I have been buying some. I had Drift, Cogman, and Crosshairs sitting on the table as cars and it hit me.

Their alt modes are just sexy in a way the Generations cars aren't and it probably comes down to being licensed.

Worse we will probably never see a licensed Generations figure. Grrr.
    I found it especially pleasing with regard to the amount of aircraft Transformers that were either directly licensed or near approximations

F-22 Raptor (Starscream and other seeker repaints)
    F-35 Lightning II-ish (Breakaway, Thrust)
    Harrier-ish (Dirge, Jetblade)
    Mig 29 (Dreadwind, Overcast, Fearswoop)
    V-22 Osprey (Incinerator)
    CH-53 Stallion (Blackout, Grindor, Evac)
    Su-47 Berkut-ish (Terradive, Space Case)
    Eurofighter Typhoon-ish (Hatchet)
    A-10 Warthog (Powerglide)
    Albatros D.III (Ransack, ROTF Divebomb)
    SR-71 Blackbird (Jetfire)
    Boeing E-767 (Air Raid)
    Su-37 Terminator-ish (TF07 Divebomb - a repaint of a Cybertron figure to be fair)

Then there were a few figures that looked realistic but were entirely fictional (as opposed to near approximations) - the helicopter Tomahawk transforms into, the jet that Nitro Zeus transforms into, and the cargo plane that Stratosphere turns into.

Basically, the aviation nerd in me was very happy... but also bitter at the same time that we never got a toy from the F-18 Hornet based generic seeker character in the ROTF video game.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Real vehicles have a mythology all of their own which the Transformer piggybacks on. The only way the Seekers could have been cooler was to be F14s and Bandai beat them to it. Countach were on every boy's wall from the mid 70s. A real squared off semi could evoke the trucker ethos in a way that streamlined Classics Prime never could.

I would argue the best fantasy alt modes had similar mythologies. Do I need to say more than "dinosaur "? Rocket base with a gigantic tank? A living city? Working mythologies compared to the forgettable monstrous chimeras we got later.

Real vehicles have a mythology all of their own which the Transformer piggybacks on. The only way the Seekers could have been cooler was to be F14s and Bandai beat them to it. Countach were on every boy's wall from the mid 70s. A real squared off semi could evoke the trucker ethos in a way that streamlined Classics Prime never could.

I would argue the best fantasy alt modes had similar mythologies. Do I need to say more than "dinosaur "? Rocket base with a gigantic tank? A living city? Working mythologies compared to the forgettable monstrous chimeras we got later.
    How good would the F-14 Seekers have been? My head may have exploded back then.

Countach were on every boy's wall from the mid 70s.
    Still my dream car to this day!

Quote Originally Posted by Raider View Post
    Still my dream car to this day!
    Still on my wall today

Yeah, I had those posters too.

Interestingly enough, apparently the Countach was a horrible car to drive.

It looks great and goes really fast in a straight line, and that's about it for the good points. Bad points include a really uncomfortable interior, almost no rear visibility and poor steering...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtQPjgzV1kA
    Which brings us to where we are today...

Quote Originally Posted by Tober View Post
    Yeah, I had those posters too.

Interestingly enough, apparently the Countach was a horrible car to drive.

It looks great and goes really fast in a straight line, and that's about it for the good points. Bad points include a really uncomfortable interior, almost no rear visibility and poor steering...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtQPjgzV1kA
    I watched this YouTube video of a modern review of the car. It was amazing how terrible it was to drive, its layout and interior. But I don't care about any of that!

I still have my Countach poster as well. It stills looks futuristic decades later.

The Countach has been ruined for me by a recent episode of The Grand Tour. The Italians in the '80s were not amazing engineers.

My Classics Jetfire has started yellowing. I already have Generations Jetfire and I intend to get Siege Jetfire, so I'm not sure if it's worth replacing Classics Jetfire. I do like the Classics Jetfire toy so I don't want to be without one; if I choose to get another one I would sell my current one (obviously at a cheaper price).

Hhrrmmm... might wait until after I get Siege Jetfire to see how I feel... having a 3rd CHUG Jetfire might negate my desire to replace my Classics one. <rubs chin>

P.S.: Speaking of Jetfire, apparently Harmony Gold's Macross licence expires in 2021. Anyone reckon this would allow Hasbro to acquire it and finally do things like...
    * Make a new toy-accurate Jetfire toy
    * Obtain a new Macross VF-1S mould and repackage/repaint it as Jetfire
    * Reissue G1 Jetfire if the mould still exists
    <rubs chin again>