View Poll Results: Should you buy this figure?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Don't listen to Sharky, he doesn't know what he's talking about and smells like Parmesan cheese

5 41.67%
  • If cheap. Say for example if you got a voucher for Christmas 2016 expiring next week.

3 25.00%
  • No. I'd rather author a self-researched guide on how to cut off and eat your toes.

0 0%
  • I don't care, won't buy it, but wanted to feel important by voting.

3 25.00%
  • NETWORK ERROR

1 8.33%

Thread: Toy Review - Studio Series Voyager Optimus Prime

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Toy Review - Studio Series Voyager Optimus Prime

OPTIMUS PRIME
    Series - Studio Series
    Size/class - Voyager
    New/remould/redeco - new
    Wave - 1
    Released here - April 2018
    Approximate Retail Price - $50
    Approximate Size - Small.
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Whatever truck he transforms into in the first three films. See GoktimusPrime for more specifics.
    Main Features/Gimmicks - N/A
    Main Colours - Red, Blue, Grey
    Main Accessories - Two sword things?

Review in capsule form because I'm afraid that someone else is opening this thread right now and if I'm not first my world might end.

Vehicle Mode
    - On the small side, with a gappy back end and fuel tanks that don't really soldily come together. The smokestacks are also puny, for no real good reason.
    - The colours look kind of muted, especially the red. The painted blue doesn't match the plastic blue at all (this is something I usually don't care enough to mention, but here we are).
    - It is otherwise functional. The proportions are good, in that the figure looks long, sleek and menacing.
    - Honestly, it's competent, for the scale. All the first trilogy Voyager Prime figures tend to have good alt modes marred by average back ends, and this is no different.

Transformation

- This is the highlight of the figure.
    - The legs are the same as the 3rd party figure M-01 Commander. That is to say that they're the same as AOE Evasion Prime but with the added bonus that the middle set of wheels are connected to the knee by an arm that allows them to rotate up onto the hip for screen accuracy. Love that, especially at this scale.
    - That torso and arm transformation is pure wow. Not necessarily intuitive, but involved and with a pleasing amount of mass shifting, with everything finding a place to fold away to.

Robot Mode
    - Stature wise, this is also tiny. It's significantly smaller than the only other voyager Prime I had around, being the Evasion Prime. It also has quite the backpack - it's not huge and it doesn't stick out too far, but it just essentially a massive plate (being formed from the truck roof).
    - Sculpted detail is on point. Paintwork is strong, even if the colours are off.
    - Poseability is great. Of note is the wide ranging neck joint and the fact that the ankles are on REALLY broad tilting jointings.
    - EDIT^4 - The main problem with this mode is that the backpack itself doesn't lock into place and can flop around when posing. The fuel tanks are on swivels that have no locking point in robot mode. Basically, the backpack needed another engineering pass.
    - I disliked the 90 degree rotated knuckleduster sword things on M-01 Commander, and I dislike them here. Would have preferred a gun.

Yeah so, it's a decent figure. It looks nice enough in robot mode and has great proportions and poseability. The transformation is the most pleasing part, but what exists at either end are quite small modes that are compromised to an extent.

EDIT EDIT: I've spent more time fiddling with this overnight. My opinion of it has gone up. I still think that Starscream is comfortably the better of the two Voyagers, but this is growing on me. The colours and robot mode backpack remain the weak points. I've warmed to the scale - it is objectively a very small Voyager, but it is designed to scale with all of the other figures in the line so I don't really have an issue with that. As above, the highlight is the transformation.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Have revised, again. I've realised that the truck bonnet parts that become his flanks do lock in. I'm a dunce.
    Last edited by SharkyMcShark; 10th April 2018 at 10:45 PM.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Ratchet and Prime were always going to be an easy pass for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    Alt-mode - Whatever truck he transforms into in the first three films. See GoktimusPrime for more specifics.
    I don't even own this toy. Do you take me for some kind of OCD frea---...

It's a Peterbilt 389.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I don't even own this toy. Do you take me for some kind of OCD frea---...

It's a Peterbilt 389.

Actually, Optimus is a Peterbilt 379, not a 389.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Actually, Optimus is a Peterbilt 379, not a 389.
    I sit corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I sit corrected.
    Goki has been corrected?? Arise Magnus Prime!!

This Prime is strange-the pictures made it look pretty ordinary, and it cuts a few corners, but I also think it looks really really nice, especially as the OP in this excellent series.

I personally like the darker colours on this guy, though the lack of flame details in robot mode is a bit of a shame. Poseability is great (esp as the swords really need it to be useful weapons), along with the proportions on the figure. However, he is missing/misapropriating a few important details (chest windows are weirdly shaped, no reflectors above them, silver cylinders aren't on his shoulders, hinges for bonnet stick really far forward, short smokestacks), which I understand on close inspection is a bit sad, but even if the battle blades is more closely matched to the CGI in that regard, this figure is far more slim, solid and playable, and the head sculpt is awesome.

Transformation is really cool and wasn't what I expected-the truck mode is fine, the short smokestacks are less obvious than I thought they might be.

Overall I think this is a good figure that, while not the best movieverse Prime, gets a lot right and looks awesome as part of the SS collection.