Page 85 of 120 FirstFirst ... 6575808182838485868788899095105 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you never realised about Transformers (toys etc)

Just don't ever try connected a G1 Predator Jet with MW Starscream's scope. It works just fine on Skyquake, but for some reason MW Starscream's is just way too tight. I haven't been game to try it on King Atlas.

FatalityPitt Guest

Dark of the Moon Guzzle could pass off as a CHUG G1 Guzzle. The resemblance is uncanny.

"Decepticon" basically translates as "You are being deceived" - Megatron's call to arms.

"Decepticon" itself is obviously an invented word that comes from 'deception.' But 'deception' comes from the Old French word decepcion, which looks and sounds more like "Decepticon." And "decepcion" comes from the Latin word dēcipiō ("to mislead").

For those who may not know, Latin words transform in order to denote variations in meaning. We call these different modes "declensions." Dēcipiō is the Third Conjugation of the word "dēceptus" (deceived, cheated). But of course, Megatron isn't saying that people have been deceived, he's saying that they are being deceived, and for this we need to look at the second-person plural present passive imperative form of dēcipiō, which is DECIPIMINI. Translation: "You are being deceived."

Now I'm under no illusion that Bob Budiansky had any of this in mind when he made the word "Decepticon" back in 1984. They're deceptive Evil Decepticons(TM), boo! And obviously "Autobot" was simply a portmanteau of "automobile" and "robot" (since all the first year Autobots were automobiles), but of course in the IDW universe it initially was a shortening of "automaton robots," then "autonomous robots." But I think it is cool that current continuity has given these names far greater depth in their meaning than initially intended.

Megatron Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    "Decepticon" basically translates as "You are being deceived" - Megatron's call to arms.

"Decepticon" itself is obviously an invented word that comes from 'deception.' But 'deception' comes from the Old French word decepcion, which looks and sounds more like "Decepticon." And "decepcion" comes from the Latin word dēcipiō ("to mislead").

For those who may not know, Latin words transform in order to denote variations in meaning. We call these different modes "declensions." Dēcipiō is the Third Conjugation of the word "dēceptus" (deceived, cheated). But of course, Megatron isn't saying that people have been deceived, he's saying that they are being deceived, and for this we need to look at the second-person plural present passive imperative form of dēcipiō, which is DECIPIMINI. Translation: "You are being deceived."

Now I'm under no illusion that Bob Budiansky had any of this in mind when he made the word "Decepticon" back in 1984. They're deceptive Evil Decepticons(TM), boo! And obviously "Autobot" was simply a portmanteau of "automobile" and "robot" (since all the first year Autobots were automobiles), but of course in the IDW universe it initially was a shortening of "automaton robots," then "autonomous robots." But I think it is cool that current continuity has given these names far greater depth in their meaning than initially intended.
    I disagree with your interpretation. (Who is doing the deceiving and who is being deceived?) There are other possible interpretations for the word "Decepticon" that haven't even been considered yet (also for "Autobot"). It's not important what those other possibilities are at this time so I won't mention them here, as my only intention is to point out that your translation is not final or absolute, though you make it sound like you have authority on the issue, when you do not.

I'm only talking about the definitions of "Autobot" and "Decepticon" as explicitly stated in the IDW comics. I realise that other continuities do not share this definition, which I also explicitly disclaimed.

References:
    Chaos Theory, Part 2
    Shadowplay, Part 1: Post Hoc
    Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    IDW's G1 continuity has no relation to any other continuity. It is not a retcon.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    I disagree with your interpretation. (Who is doing the deceiving and who is being deceived?) There are other possible interpretations for the word "Decepticon" that haven't even been considered yet (also for "Autobot"). It's not important what those other possibilities are at this time so I won't mention them here, as my only intention is to point out that your translation is not final or absolute, though you make it sound like you have authority on the issue, when you do not.
    Setting aside the more recent retcons, Bob Budiansky is an authority, for creating the original names and story, and I recall somewhere (probably BotCon) him saying that Autobot was derived from automobile, and Decepticon was derived from deception. Which was why they were also labelled as "heroic" and "evil", and characters like Megatron were given negative or evil sounding names (remember the story about Hasbro wanting Bob to rename Megatron because they thought it sounded too evil for a kids toyline and cartoon).
    And as we also know, Bob loved to use Latin and Greek with his Transformers names and places. I remember writing an essay back in the 90s about all the names of Greek and Latin origin in an attempt to solve the debate (at that time) of the spelling of Elita-1.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I remember writing an essay back in the 90s about all the names of Greek and Latin origin in an attempt to solve the debate (at that time) of the spelling of Elita-1.
    I am unfamiliar with this debate. Were you right?

Elita is obviously taken from the word "elite" which is actually French (élite) but descendant from the Latin word 'eligere,' which - to make a long story short - is a variation of the word 'electum' (to choose or elect).

But yeah, Budiansky certainly did have a penchant for Greek-Latin names...
    Cybertron, Auto(bot), Decepticon, Optimus Prime, Megatron, (Wind)charger, Trail(breaker), Barr(age), Shrapnel, Mir(age), Inferno, Perceptor, Metroplex et al. And it's a trend which IDW have followed as well with names like Caminus, Aequitas, conjunx amicus/amica, conjunx endura, empurata, Pyra Magna, Victori(on), Pharma et al.

Megatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    Dem fighting words.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Setting aside the more recent retcons, Bob Budiansky is an authority, for creating the original names and story, and I recall somewhere (probably BotCon) him saying that Autobot was derived from automobile, and Decepticon was derived from deception. Which was why they were also labelled as "heroic" and "evil", and characters like Megatron were given negative or evil sounding names (remember the story about Hasbro wanting Bob to rename Megatron because they thought it sounded too evil for a kids toyline and cartoon).
    And as we also know, Bob loved to use Latin and Greek with his Transformers names and places. I remember writing an essay back in the 90s about all the names of Greek and Latin origin in an attempt to solve the debate (at that time) of the spelling of Elita-1.
    Come to think of it, I've never thought of the name Megatron as a negative or evil sounding name. To me, it ilicits a figure of strong & immense stature such as a leader.

Negatron, on the other hand, does sound very negative. And fortunately Negatron only appears very briefly ... in an episode of Family Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider View Post
    I am unfamiliar with this debate. Were you right?
    Back when the internet was new for Transformers fans (mid 90s) and there was little or no access/interaction with official sources (or resources like the Original Series Bible), the online fandom would debate topics, like the colour of Rumble and Frenzy, where does Optimus' trailer go when he transforms, and what is the spelling of Elita-1.
    Because in the Original series cartoon, her name was pronounced two different ways, depending on the voice actor and what vowels are emphasised. Either it was Elita/Eleeta (pronounced as "elite" at the start of the name, but was said by Starscream with heavy sarcasm, leading many to believe that it wasn't her actual name), or Aleta/Alita (pronounced with "ah" on the front, which was the majority of the times it was spoken in the cartoon).

At the time, (and before the Bible had the name in print to end the debate), neither spelling seemed to be derived from anything that I thought made sense (based on her character traits and powers), so I looked for an alternative spelling... which I can't actually remember, but it meant something like a burst of power - something that her character did in one episode to stop time.
    (this was all about 20 years ago now, so I'm guessing a lot of it now)

Suffice to say, my third spelling didn't get picked up by anyone, and within a few years we had the official spelling revealed/confirmed, ending all future debates on the matter.