Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: JP/HK Masterpiece Ultra Magnus coming to ToysRUs Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Krayt View Post
    TFW2005 finally updated with what Griffin told them
    Yay.

(now if only I could stop Seibertron from stealing my news & images and not crediting me for it)

i know you're not a fan, but some larger image marking may be in order

There's never gonna be any getting around sites stealing stuff... that's entirely what the internet is these days. It's not like a news credit on any of those sites means a whole lot (or u get paid), so i wouldn't let it worry you.

That said, maybe it's time to revisit the idea of the Australian TF news site separate from the boards. It's bound to be more popular than my other TF website attempt earlier this year! Then you can steal all their news in return

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    i know you're not a fan, but some larger image marking may be in order
    It's had me thinking about it when I saw one of my compilation/collage images on their site without credit.

I like to archive clean official images (which is why I hate Robotkingdom's habit of ruining images that they didn't take by sticking their name over the top of it), so I would have to be careful not to look like I'm claiming ownership of the official images... because my compilation images are usually made up of official images. So I would like credit for the trouble of finding the official images, creating the compilation/collage, and hosting it on this server.
    Members here are welcome to use the images on this site (if they can find them ), but if they are used on other sites that I didn't post or authorise, I'd like people to at least mention where they "acquired" the image from.

They didn't even bother to change the file-name (second image) to hide the fact that they took one of my images.
    That, and their uncredited plagiarism of this translation of mine (from here), suggests a lack of procedures or rules about news postings by their staff.

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    There's never gonna be any getting around sites stealing stuff... that's entirely what the internet is these days. It's not like a news credit on any of those sites means a whole lot (or u get paid), so i wouldn't let it worry you.
    Yeah, I'm not letting it worry me. I just don't feel right supporting their site if they don't respect ours.
    As for internet behaviour, when it is news sites, they are more responsible for crediting their sources, and lose readership if they are found to be claiming to be the source or omit to credit a source to make them look like they are the source.
    TFW2005 do it, and so do we... which is why I am often chasing up people for a source of their info and images, or I will add a link to the source if I can find it quicker than waiting for their reply (because I want to maintain credibility of this site as a news site).
    It's not hard to reference a source, as it takes just as long to say it in the sentence of what you are posting news about. It's just lazy or intentional to not mention where you heard something or copied the images from.

You're right of course, and it's admirable that you take that stance. I find it really lame that Seibertron often credits one of their forum members for "finding" a news item on another TF news site as well.

I would guess though that they don't lose too much readership over it. It's not like a reputable news source (like Reuters etc) that would have to worry about sourcing, article accuracy and so on to keep their readership. They're presenting 'valuable' news whereas TF news is really just inconsequential hobby interests, so i don't think many expect a high standard.

I think most people just check up on any of the various sites when they're bored, even if most of the news is the same across them all, regardless of any opinion they have of the site. (ie, i don't like Seibertron that much either, but if TFW's news hasn't updated, it takes half a second to quickly skim Seibertron too, so i don't really care that much about their practices, certainly not enough to stop checking every now and then).

Readership should really come from the quality of unique articles they produce, and for that i think they're all pretty crap! In fact the only one that i think hits this mark would be Maz's articles on TF Source, of all places!

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    The wrong side of Christmas unfortunately.
    Yes because all this disgruntled talk about mundane issues like "Price" and "Cost" are moot when you can swing it as a Christmas gift. Then it's FREE$
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

CoRDS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    Yes because all this disgruntled talk about mundane issues like "Price" and "Cost" are moot when you can swing it as a Christmas gift. Then it's FREE$

this is how im getting mine. however it looks more like its going to get pushed to birthday present in march.

Quote Originally Posted by Krayt View Post
    I always hated his upside-down belt.... and now this matches the anime
    Yeah, but you can't blame the MP toy for trying to be "show-accurate," considering that it's part of the theme of MPs. Although if Hasbro USA ever do their own release of MP Ultra Magnus, I reckon they should try to differentiate the toy by making it more toy accurate; e.g. chrome bumper, right-way up belt, yellow eyes (re: box/tech specs art) etc.

griffin: I'm also not into watermarking either, but since this TFW incident, I've decided to just tag my name on a corner of some images. But your comment about not wanting to mislead people into thinking that you're taking credit for creating the image (instead of just being the first to post it) is a fair one too. Perhaps something like, "Uploaded by griffin" would serve to both mark the image and explicitly state that the image was merely uploaded by you, but not made by you. I might start doing something similar for any future MP22 related pics I might upload.

Also, I've started posting little daily tidbits about Hasbro-release MP22 here.

So how much do you think this will retail for over here?
    Is this figure one of the best MPs' yet?
    I am really up and down about pre ordering him. It will be through TFI downunder.