Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transformers And Philosophy book

Default Transformers And Philosophy book

I just read about this Previews

John R. Shook, Liz Stillwaggon
    Transformers began with toys and a cartoon series in 1984 and has since grown to include comic books, movies, and video games - its science fiction story has reached an audience with a wide range second only to that of Star Wars. Here, in Transformers and Philosophy, a dream team of philosophers pursues the fascinating questions posed by humankind's encounter with an artificially intelligent mechanical civilization: Is genuine artificial intelligence possible? Would a robotic civilization come with its own morality and artistic life, and would it find a need for romantic love? Should we be more careful about developing robots that may eventually develop ideas of their own? Transformers and Philosophy puts the robots in disguise under a microscope and exposes its philosophical implications in an instantly readable way.
    Amazon Pre-order

Sounds interesting.... I wonder if it will be fannish or superficial in it's view of Transformers in particular instead of AI/Robots in general. Either way I'd give it a read.

Cool

I studied philosophy at university and wrote quite a few essays on TF:TM. It's amazing how much you can read into an 80s cartoon made to sell toys...

They already got something wrong:

Transformers began with toys and a cartoon series in 1984 and has since grown to include comic books, movies, and video games
    Transformers didn't 'grow' to include comics, it started off with them along with the toys and cartoon. Heck, Marvel Comics was responsible for the mythos which are now core to the franchise!

It also doesn't take into account that they are living robots - i.e.: not only self-aware and sentient, but also with a living "soul" as defined as a laser core, life essence/primal essence or Spark. They have gods and spirituality. See my writings on Transformers Theology here

Transformers Beast Machines is a very deeply philosophical story.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 5th February 2009 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Transformers didn't 'grow' to include comics, it started off with them along with the toys and cartoon. Heck, Marvel Comics was responsible for the mythos which are now core to the franchise!
    Exactly. The comics came before the cartoon. In fact the comics may have even come out before the toys. So perhaps the sentence should read "Transformers began with a comic book and has since grown to include a cartoon series, movies, video games and even some toys." I've read similar books about other franchises that range from well-researched and accurate all the way down to a Pat Lee level of knowledge and accuracy. This one isn't off to a good start.

This is the marketing blurb so don't be too harsh yet. It's various authors too so I think it could have the full range you mention.

Judging from the blurb and past experience it seems to be just exploiting the transformers brand to sell a book on sci-fi philosophy.

Though I could be wrong and be delighted by a masterful and detailed analysis of the transformers mythos. After all blurbs can be pretty horrendous.

On the flipside I am seldom wrong

If there is an essay entitled 'Trukk Not Munkey', than this book will be a must-buy.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    It also doesn't take into account that they are living robots - i.e.: not only self-aware and sentient, but also with a living "soul" as defined as a laser core, life essence/primal essence or Spark. They have gods and spirituality.
    So does this mean you've read the book?

I'll be keeping an eye out for this book, as philosophical questions raised by culture and entertainment have always interested me.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    See my writings on Transformers Theology here
    Ah, I was wondering who wrote that interesting piece when I came across it on the web a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverDragon View Post
    If there is an essay entitled 'Trukk Not Munkey', than this book will be a must-buy.
    True. Or 'How I Learned to Stop Trukking and Love the Munky'.