Page 105 of 154 FirstFirst ... 8595100101102103104105106107108109110115125 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1535

Thread: Movie Critics Thread

Loved GotG2, arguably better than the first. Has tons of heart and knew not to pull its punches when it mattered.

I dread the day GotG is dragged into the mire of the mainline Marvel flicks.

Speaking of which, I finally got around to seeing Dr Strange the other day.

Not terrible by any means, but not all that great either. I must admit, for a relatively unknown character to be given a film, it was quite daring and I did like the way they did it. I guess, I was most disappointed because it ended up being exactly like I though it would be.

Standard movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Speaking of which, I finally got around to seeing Dr Strange the other day.

Not terrible by any means, but not all that great either. I must admit, for a relatively unknown character to be given a film, it was quite daring and I did like the way they did it. I guess, I was most disappointed because it ended up being exactly like I though it would be.

Standard movie.
    At least they didn't insult the brand name. The same cannot be said for Ghost Rider.

I liked Dr. Strange. It wasn't the best but it didn't suck like the Fantastic Four Movies or Green Lantern. I think a lot of times studios make these movies simply to maintain their legal ownership of these properties. But at least Marvel Studios keeps them in continuity, whereas some other studios reboot properties like Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four just to keep the rights. Although Fox did at least handle their rebooting of X-Men pretty well in terms of using time travel. It may be cheesy but it works.

And it's cool that Sony finally joined the party and have agreed to share the cinematic rights to Spider-Man (and kudos to Universal Pictures for being the first to do this back when they chose to share the rights to the Hulk). And it's nice that Fox have shared Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, but with greater restrictions than Universal or Sony seem to have placed on Marvel (MCU cannot use their mutant names or even the word "mutant") - their origin stories were also completely changed. While the MCU couldn't make direct references to Universal's Hulk movies or Sony's Spider-Man films, they were still able to use their names and didn't have to change their origins. Hulk isn't an alien and Spider-Man isn't a mutant^an enhanced.

I would love to see Fox sharing their rights to the X-Men with the MCU. It would also allow Fox-Marvel Studios to make a "clean start" for a new actor as Wolverine since:
    a/ Hugh Jackman has announced that he has retired from playing Wolverine
    b/ Cinema audiences are already used to actors changing when characters are absorbed into the MCU - e.g. Quicksilver, Colossus, Bruce Banner, Peter Parker, Aunt May etc. - heck, they even changed the actor for War Machine and he never even changed studios! James Rhodes was played by Terrence Howard in the first Iron Man, but replaced by Don Cheadle from Iron Man 2 onwards. People will initially whinge but eventually shut up and get used to it.

Saw Alien Covenant on the weekend and it is definitely a better and more disturbing affair than Prometheus.

Why did Director Krennic land his ship 800 kms away from the Erso farmstead and decide to walk over?

I think that Krennic was initially playing Good Cop. He wanted to invite Erso and his family back into the service of the Empire. He wanted to give them the chance to come along willingly, and understandably so because a willing ally is always preferable. The conversation between Krennic and Erso was fairly civil until Mrs. Erso pulled a blaster on Krennic, then all niceties were dropped.

Women, eh?

Still doesn't explain why he landed where he did though.

For the incidental exercise?

Saw John Wick 2 not long ago. Mindless action but done so unbelievably well. It looks like all that training done for the Matrix trilogy is continuing to pay off for Keanu.