View Poll Results: TF3 : DotM - worth watching?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • excellent, must see

50 43.86%
  • good, see if you can

35 30.70%
  • average

22 19.30%
  • disappointing, avoid it

7 6.14%
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11212627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Movie Review - Transformers 3 : Dark of the Moon (spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by Demonac View Post
    You are referring to what are called 'sleeper hits'.
    These films generally start off slow, but week by week, build up the box office.
    Correct.

Let's have a look at TF3's U.S. numbers (via boxofficemojo)

Jun 24–30 $64,765,347
    Jul 1–7 $149,210,077 +130% (film opened on 29th June)
    Jul 8–14 $67,574,828 -54.7%
    Jul 15–21 $32,239,198 -52.3%

Those numbers show a dramatic fall. That is a sign of word of mouth working against a movie.
    Harry Potter had a bigger fall and it was rated quite highly by both critics and audiences. I think it's more of a case of most people who want to see it, have seen it. Besides, I thought this whole conversation was about movie quality having no correlation on box office earnings...

Below are the numbers for 'Avatar', a film which generated positive reviews (I haven't seen this either).

Dec 18–24 $137,094,001
    Dec 25–31 $146,530,209 +6.9%
    Jan 1–7 $96,916,087 -33.9%
    Jan 8–14 $69,926,708 -27.8%
    Jan 15–21 $66,330,413 -5.1%
    Jan 22–28 $47,674,969 -28.1%

You can see that the box office actually went up in the second week, and the drop off wasn't as bad in following weeks.
    I would say it's a safe assumption that because the second week was the xmas holiday period, that would explain the slight rise.

And yes, we should blame Hursticon!
    Hey, we agree on something Now let me buy you a beer!
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Just admit this film is shoddily made, but enjoyable!

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Harry Potter had a bigger fall and it was rated quite highly by both critics and audiences.
    Harry Potter has only been out for little over a week, so it's a bit early to judge.

I thought this whole conversation was about movie quality having no correlation on box office earnings
    I brought up those numbers to show that even though a good marketing campaign can get bums on seats the first few days, if the end product fails to deliver then we see sharp drop offs after that.

And good point with Avatars xmas boost. But the fall was not as steep when it came.

Actually, having a closer look at films that bombed, it's more a case of media backlash for whatever reason that does the most damage to a films chances at the box office. Bad reviews never hurt no movie.

Off topic: I had a look at highest grossing films, and they are almost all sequels! What the hell happened to originality?

Off topic: I had a look at highest grossing films, and they are almost all sequels! What the hell happened to originality?
    I think sequels get more money because you have more of an expected audience to watch them considering later home video/dvd releases on top of the cinema audiences. Also in that time between the original movie and sequel word of mouth and critic reviews can influence the anticipation of the next film.

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Quote Originally Posted by Gutsman Heavy View Post
    If i enjoyed it because I had super low expectations, did I really enjoy it at all?
    No!

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    Well if it hasn't been said yet, I will say it now, I think it is good

(But I voted for excellent anyway )
    I wonder how many people did the same thing?

+1
    Question (sort of) answered

That's it then, isn't it; many TF fans are gonna say DOTM was brilliant, just to out-balance the haters/movie critics/general public. But, let's be honest... TF fans saying a TF movie is "Excellent/brilliant" doesn't necessarily make it so either...

Decepticon Guest

I actually like the 3 Transformers movies better than any of the 6 StarWars movies because I'm a TF fan and not a SW fan. Personal interest is what makes someone like or dislike something.

NEVEEEEEER *shakes fist*
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

The film maybe shoddily edited, but the action sure wasn't!

Quote Originally Posted by Decepticon View Post
    I actually like the 3 Transformers movies better than any of the 6 StarWars movies because I'm a TF fan and not a SW fan. Personal interest is what makes someone like or dislike something.
    not entirely or at least not with everyone, I don't like every Holden I see tho I am a Holden man . I myself feel a film is more about "what happens" and story and how well a story is told more than its specific "theme"
    your simplistic "I like Transformers and these are transformer movies so I like them bestest" rationale boggles my mind

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWarp91 View Post
    The film maybe shoddily edited, but the action sure wasn't!
    I was bored with the action. coulda been in 4D with friggen smellavision (5D?)
    and it wouldn't have mattered or are you still talking about Carly's ass? lol

Decepticon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MECHA MALAKA View Post
    not entirely or at least not with everyone, I don't like every Holden I see tho I am a Holden man . I myself feel a film is more about "what happens" and story and how well a story is told more than its specific "theme"
    your simplistic "I like Transformers and these are transformer movies so I like them bestest" rationale boggles my mind
    That's why your mind gets boggled!.... You are a Holden man. I admit, there are problems with the story line but it's more than just a story. Its also the visual presence that a movie can deliver.