Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415161718192434 ... LastLast

Thread: model building

Iriorne that is a great looking G. One day I will get to building and lighting my Mobius Vipers.

This is an awesome thread with heaps of great tips
    Question for you gurus, you guys have advocated the use of a gloss coat but I note that your finished kits have that wonderful worn appearance and looks very matt.
    How is that achieved?

Flat clear on top to seal all your weathering. You can always add more weathering after the flat coat also.

i'm still learning the weathering but with every tip you get better. here's some of the planes i've been working on today. they have to have a couple of paint touch ups here and there but i've done the final clear coat and i'll be getting some of the paints to do the weathering later on. the ME 110 is still a way off of being finished but the corsair 2 is done(i haven't decided yet to put the missiles and bombs on).this is the first time i've really attempted to do the mottle camo on a german fighter but it turned out ok-ish.

You're definitely getting better with the airbrush. Nice work.
    The corsair II is one of those aircraft that looks ugly but purposeful. Definitely needs some hardware hanging off those pylons.

i love the the corsair 2 and the F-8 crusader. they look like they'd rip you another butt hole. my wife also thinks i should bomb it up too. so i'll make a start on the weapons a little later(customizing a few gi joe's atm).

Iriorne is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor916 View Post
    Iriorne that is a great looking G. One day I will get to building and lighting my Mobius Vipers.
    Cheers! Cost a small fortune for all the tools and parts but I'm pleased with how it turned out. Pegasus is next up, it's gonna dwarf the old Bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by ChlorHex View Post
    Question for you gurus, you guys have advocated the use of a gloss coat but I note that your finished kits have that wonderful worn appearance and looks very matt.
    How is that achieved?
    Flat clear on top to seal all your weathering. You can always add more weathering after the flat coat also.
    Yep. Generally, I use a gloss coat between layers for paint, decals, weathering, etc. Your final clear coat can be gloss, matte or satin, depending on the effect you're going for. The only exception is generally pastel weathering which goes on better over a matte coat; the rough surface gives the pastel dust something to bite on to and you can seal with another clear coat.

Plenty of options for clear coat, I used to use Tamiya clear, adding flat base for matte, but I've started using the MicroScale gloss and matte coats which are a bit more convenient and spray and clean up just as easily. Just be aware of the basic rules about mixing paint types. Acrylic goes fine over lacquer or enamel but the other way round can cause your paint to dissolve.

Quote Originally Posted by iamirondude View Post
    i'm still learning the weathering but with every tip you get better. [...] this is the first time i've really attempted to do the mottle camo on a german fighter but it turned out ok-ish.
    Your mottle camouflage technique is getting better, no runs or spiders this time.

Thanks.
    Will try that out on my customs in the very near future

Quote Originally Posted by Iriorne View Post
    Yep. Generally, I use a gloss coat between layers for paint, decals, weathering, etc. Your final clear coat can be gloss, matte or satin, depending on the effect you're going for. The only exception is generally pastel weathering which goes on better over a matte coat; the rough surface gives the pastel dust something to bite on to and you can seal with another clear coat.

Plenty of options for clear coat, I used to use Tamiya clear, adding flat base for matte, but I've started using the MicroScale gloss and matte coats which are a bit more convenient and spray and clean up just as easily. Just be aware of the basic rules about mixing paint types. Acrylic goes fine over lacquer or enamel but the other way round can cause your paint to dissolve.
    Thanks for this ↑ as well.
    Great advice!

Made some more progress with my Murcielago and because I love Lambos I started another one.