Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Metrotitan

Thanks for the comments all!

The white wash is part of the prep work for the detailing to come. Some of it will be the base for the famous (and still coming!) glow effects, some of it will be other colours (such as lights and things). It will need to be touched up where it has bled out side the lines (repainting TFs is so much like colouring in we all did as kids, seriously), and it's painstaking work, but it will so be worth it when it's done.

The one thing I can't show you is how it all looks in my head, all finished. These WIP photos are the really rough in between stages only, and the finished piece looks a lot different to me than the photos portray. There's a perception in some segments of fandom that customs should be sold as cheaply as the original toys. I'm not in that camp, for many reasons, but hopefully the WIP pics, especially when the finished product is revealed, speak louder than words.

I also realise that I'm not set up to take really brilliant photos of the end product, but I've got some ideas in how to show him off before an eventual sale.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

I think I said I wouldn't bore you with masking shots, but it's been such a huge part of the job, especially in the last few weeks. For some of the circular ports, I used a vinyl masking product I got from an airbrush supplier. It can be cut into strips as thin as 1-2mm, which can stretch and bend into curves. I used it around the edges of the ports and then masked around that with Tamiya masking tape and some low-tack painter's tape (for larger areas, since its cheaper). You can see the progression of the masking on this piece here:

DSC_0805 by M-bot2011

DSC_0806 by M-bot2011

DSC_0807 by M-bot2011

Here's all the bits masked up, ready for the (infamous, since I can't stop mentioning them) 'glow effects':

DSC_0809 by M-bot2011

First, I touched up the white, then, laid down a layer of custom mixed pink:

DSC_0812 by M-bot2011

DSC_0813 by M-bot2011

DSC_0814 by M-bot2011

Then, round each masked shape, I add some blended purple:

DSC_0817 by M-bot2011

DSC_0818 by M-bot2011

DSC_0816 by M-bot2011

I was hoping to get all the 'glow' spots done in one sitting, but time beat me. I spent about 4 hours on the white-pink-start of the purple before the sun started going down and my air compressor went on strike. So they will need to be completed another time.

I did unmask a few of the pieces, shown here, but they still need some touch ups.

DSC_0819 by M-bot2011

DSC_0821 by M-bot2011

Not to mention everything will also need a good gloss clear coat to protect and bring out the finish.

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms

dayum, there's too many steps to this, I can't wait to see what an awesome finish this would be. ;D
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

A lot of people don't appreciate the amount of time and effort that goes into masking. You nailed it though dude, there doesn't appear to be any bleeding at all.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ_Prime View Post
    A lot of people don't appreciate the amount of time and effort that goes into masking. You nailed it though dude, there doesn't appear to be any bleeding at all.
    So true...masking is an art upon itself!!! and it take ages to put on, getting the right shape etc.......
    keep it up man.....

Quote Originally Posted by M-bot View Post
    There's a perception in some segments of fandom that customs should be sold as cheaply as the original toys. .
    That's an interesting perception, I never realised that was a common, or even uncommon thought. I'm probably not one to pay much for a custom paint job but that's mostly because i'd like to think I'd have a crack at it myself first (hahaha in all my spare time) but any decent custom obviously has hours of work involved and that time has to be worth something.

Quote Originally Posted by M-bot View Post
    I think I said I wouldn't bore you with masking shots, but it's been such a huge part of the job, especially in the last few weeks. For some of the circular ports, I used a vinyl masking product I got from an airbrush supplier. It can be cut into strips as thin as 1-2mm, which can stretch and bend into curves. I used it around the edges of the ports and then masked around that with Tamiya masking tape and some low-tack painter's tape (for larger areas, since its cheaper). You can see the progression of the masking on this piece here:

Here's all the bits masked up, ready for the (infamous, since I can't stop mentioning them) 'glow effects':

DSC_0809 by M-bot2011

DSC_0821 by M-bot2011

Not to mention everything will also need a good gloss clear coat to protect and bring out the finish.
    HOLY crapsticks, that is a hell of a lot of fiddly masking going on there. you spent 4 hours with the pinkish white paint, but how long did you spend doing all the masking?!?!?!?!

I don't quite see what's happening in the second last picture (I think it needs surrounding context) but I'm loving the visor in the last picture there.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by AJ_Prime View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lancalot View Post
    So true...masking is an art upon itself!!! and it take ages to put on, getting the right shape etc.......
    keep it up man.....
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    HOLY crapsticks, that is a hell of a lot of fiddly masking going on there. you spent 4 hours with the pinkish white paint, but how long did you spend doing all the masking?!?!?!?!
    About 10% of the masking was done in the last few months, a bit at a time. The last 90% in the last 3 weeks, two of them off work with horrible flu. At least a couple of hours each day.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I don't quite see what's happening in the second last picture (I think it needs surrounding context) but I'm loving the visor in the last picture there.
    The second last pic is Metrosasher's (aka evil Scamper) roof and windscreen/windows. Not finished yet.

Following some good advice from Lancalot (truly one of the masters of the airbrush around these parts!) I've gone back and redone some of the pink over the purple edges to smooth it out - the purple paint was likely too thick and was leading to splattering rather than a smooth finish. I've redone the visor and the windscreen. I need to remember to take my time and do better work than I did last afternoon when I was racing fading sunlight.

Awesome work. That visor looks great!

That visor looks great. It's like it's straight out of the 80's.
    I hate masking too but taking it off is like unwrapping a present

I can not wait to see the finished product.