Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shapeways Creations

Quote Originally Posted by theheretic View Post
    My shapeways package arrive this afternoon. I'm not sure yet if I'm happy with these or not. I had them printed in white strong and flexible (which is what it said theyd tested it in) but I think maybe a smoother more detailed material would have been better. They seem a bit rough for my liking and sanding these tiny pieces is very difficult. Im going to spray Arcees pistols and blades tonight and we will see how that turns out. I'll put pics up tomorrow. I was trying to take some of the unpainted items but the white is very hard to get a clear shot of.
    Looking forward to this!

How does the material compare with the official Hasbro stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by SuspectimusPrime View Post
    Looking forward to this!

How does the material compare with the official Hasbro stuff?
    Well it seems very rough. It's not smooth at all. I really feel like I should have paid more and used frosted detail or even frosted ultra detail. The white strong flexible feels reasonably strong and has more flex than the Hasbro stuff but it doesn't feel as strong. I'm not gonna try breaking it though. Next stuff I order (if any) I will try detail or ultra detail.

Anyway I have tried spraying Arcees pistols/blades and hand painted Megatrons blade. Hand painting with acrylics seems to be the way to go because this materials sucks the paint up. Here's a pricy of Meg's with a new fusion cannon

Sorry it's not that great. Used my iphone4 and left the bumblebee case on which cases the camera to blur slightly and gives the edges a yellow tinge

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

They'll always have that roughness. It's a byproduct of the 3D printing process, which uses a resin dust to print.

It's a characteristic of 3D printing, and is to be expected from anything you get done, for now.

Well it seems very rough. It's not smooth at all. I really feel like I should have paid more and used frosted detail or even frosted ultra detail. The white strong flexible feels reasonably strong and has more flex than the Hasbro stuff but it doesn't feel as strong. I'm not gonna try breaking it though. Next stuff I order (if any) I will try detail or ultra detail.

Anyway I have tried spraying Arcees pistols/blades and hand painted Megatrons blade. Hand painting with acrylics seems to be the way to go because this materials sucks the paint up. Here's a pricy of Meg's with a new fusion cannon

*snip*
    Sorry it's not that great. Used my iphone4 and left the bumblebee case on which cases the camera to blur slightly and gives the edges a yellow tinge
    The creator of Seismus, fakebuster83 from TFW2005, has mentioned that Detail is even softer (see: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radico...ml#post7989162 from this original TFW2005 thread).

He later suggests White Strong Flexible Polished (about 2 Euro's more expensive), which polishes off the grainy texture for you - when I eventually get to ordering Seismus, I'll probably pay for WSF Polished too Because Seismus has ball joints, I don't think its a good idea for me to order any softer material.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    They'll always have that roughness. It's a byproduct of the 3D printing process, which uses a resin dust to print.

It's a characteristic of 3D printing, and is to be expected from anything you get done, for now.
    Does that include printing metals?

A few little touch ups and I'm not happy with the purple edge I did on the sword but here's a few more pics

I received my iron fist kit and cliffjumper blasters on Thursday going to paint the CJ blasters tomorrow.

A few little touch ups and I'm not happy with the purple edge I did on the sword but here's a few more pics

*snip snip*
    I think the touch ups ended up looking really good? Or at least much better than some of the other painted Shapeways pieces I've seen

Why aren't you happy with the purple edge?

Quote Originally Posted by SMHFConvoy View Post
    I received my iron fist kit and cliffjumper blasters on Thursday going to paint the CJ blasters tomorrow.
    Very cool! Did the get the Iron Fist kit with the bullet wound??

There's a couple of blotches of purple that don't look right. Perfectionist. I'm finding it really hard to paint it perfectly because its not a smooth surface. Does anyone know if the the white strong and flexible polished is smooth? I'm leaving it as is for the moment because I still have 3 other sets to paint and a bunch of reprolabels to apply too.

What paint did you use? I wanted to get the roadbuster upgrade parts but have no idea where to start RE: correct type of paint

Your paint apps do look good, you should be proud of what you've done

Man, that IDW First Aid kit is awesome. Wish I had some paint skills as well...
    i do NOT Play with toys...

But I DO occasionally do scale model assisted simulations in physical fight dynamics.