Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Receiving badly packaged items from eBay... Where do we go from here?

bowspearer Guest

One thing to be aware of- if you open a dispute with Paypal, it can be very difficult to get a just outcome. I once had an issue with a similar thing with a Captain Power Power Base and I wound up blasting Paypal over the phone, where it came out that they'd stupidly believed it wasn't an ebay transaction, when the disput clearly says it is.

A couple of points- firstly, be prepared for frustration and for the possibility of needing to give paypal a verbal smack to the back of the head in terms of them recognising the bleeding obvious.

Secondly, what Paypal will demand from you is for a recognised dealer of what you're buying, or expert in that field, to verify the damage in writing as an "expert testimony". THe best advice I can give you there is to get hold of a toy dealer (and I think there mght even be one or two here on the boards) and get them to give you a hand.

I wish you all the best of luck with it.

Is it normal for the refund to take a while to go through?
    Paypal has got it as "pending" and it's been more than 24hrs

The seller agreed to sell the item as a loose broken toy... I offered him 50% of the cost of the toy plus shipping to cover his losses as he seemed genuine.
    Think I've learnt quite a bit from this, when dealing with newbie sellers (he had just over 10 positive feedback points), really gotta specify my shipping expectations in the comments box when paying by Paypal!

Quote Originally Posted by ChlorHex View Post
    Thanks for all your comments guys.
    The item is thankfully not a vintage one but I missed out on another deal because I'd thought that I'd already secured myself a piece through this auction.
    The seller appears to be genuine and new to this as he had now given me a full refund.
    I thankfully mess around with weak attempts at customs so I might just offer to buy this off him now as a junker parts deal instead... If the seller wants to that is.
    I don't wish to discourage this chap as he's new, but I do hope he puts more effort into packaging his items for his own good.
    Saves everyone the hassle and avoids wasting anyone's time.
    Now I've got to look out for another piece!
    at least it looks like it's working out

The seller agreed to sell the item as a loose broken toy... I offered him 50% of the cost of the toy plus shipping to cover his losses as he seemed genuine.
    Think I've learnt quite a bit from this, when dealing with newbie sellers (he had just over 10 positive feedback points), really gotta specify my shipping expectations in the comments box when paying by Paypal!
    It's better to talk to the seller first and find out how they intend to package an item. That way you know what's going on before you send the money.

Depending on how he transferred the money it can take longer while PayPal have the money sit in their investment pool. just like an ordinary bank.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Paypal does take some time to process refunds. As long as they have confirmed that there was a resolution and that you will be getting a refund, the money will appear eventually.

Thanks guys.
    I was expecting PayPal refunds to be as swift as PayPal payments.
    Apparently not

This has happened to me a few of times too chlor, so I know exactly how you feel man. G1 vintage items sent in a paper bag was one of my scenarios. They did however, wrap the G1 stuff in a plastic bag to prevent it from being water logged. Very considerate of them

I've opened up a paypal dispute before to resolve one of these incidents and it was decided in "my favour". Basically I had to mail back the damaged G1 items I had purchased and provide paypal with a tracking ID.

I forked out $40 of my own money to return the broken mess and (upon delivery of the returned goods) I got an immediate refund from paypal. The refund only included the cost of the item + original shipping fee, which left me $40 out of pocket because I had to ship it back.

If a seller has any sense of responsibility, they will refund you the return shipping cost.

Whether or not paypal's policy has changed since then, I dunno.

But my suggestion to you is;

- If it's a bulky item, ALWAYS ask the seller to ship in a sturdy cardboard box with plenty of padding (foam peanuts or scrunched up newspaper). Cardboard boxes are in endless supply if they visit their local major retailer or supermarket

- If it's a book or relatively flat item, ALWAYS ask the seller to ship in a padded bag with two solid pieces of cardboard to prevent it from being bent

- Ask the seller to print "FRAGILE" on the parcel or padded bag

After I started doing the above, I had no more troubles with my G1 stuff being poorly packaged and damaged in transit.

Hope that helps bud

Quote Originally Posted by canofwhoopass_87 View Post

- Ask the seller to print "FRAGILE" on the parcel or padded bag
    I'm not so sure that is a good idea, I've read accounts of items marked Fragile being singled out for very aggressive punishment in transit.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I'm not so sure that is a good idea, I've read accounts of items marked Fragile being singled out for very aggressive punishment in transit.
    Envelopes or tough bags with "do not bend" always seem to get a bit of extra attention

Your experience sounds bad, canofwhoop-dude.
    Thankfully for me this seller was willing to resolve the matter swiftly and thus I was also willing to compromise.
    We both didn't really win but neither did we truly lose I guess.
    As for the envelope and the postie... It honestly looked as though he sat on it.
    No, this one wasn't marked as fragile or do not bend.