Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MISB Question

I purchased case fresh MP Skywarps when I was living in China. I even opened the cases myself, the Skywarp I had, the box was double taped on the top not the bottom, and the inner tray is all double taped. I have just double checked the box to make sure.

Edit: I just remembered this had JP and CN separate instructions in their own baggies. The tape looks identical all over.
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

The only MP of mine that's double-taped (double-taped on both sides) is MP-24 Star Saber, which I got from Amiami. As far as I can tell, none of the sticky tapes on that box were cut, so i can only guess that it was double-taped in the factory just to make sure both ends are secure.

I bought my MP-28 from TLTC, and it was single-taped on both sides.
    Recent Acquisitions: MP-53+B Dia Burnout
    (Pre-)ordered: Missing Link C-02
    Wants: Encore Headmasters!

Meister, see my response in the TLTC thread.

The TLDR is that it's a normal part of the QA.

And no it doesn't matter where you buy them from. I've gotten plenty of Takara items from Japan that are double taped.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I figure if the factory cuts the tape to get into the box for some reason, unless they're doing something with the instructions or it's a visual inspection they can perform without opening the clamshell, the likelihood of there also being double tape on the clamshell is extremely high.

Now that you've talked about it a bit more I vaguely remember something about double taping on the clamshell of a MP soundwave someone bought from Robot Kingdom in the last 12 months.
    Ahhh RK...my first and only purchase a $220 MP Dirge which came with a ripped tape (not even resealed) asked them said it was normal factory inspection??? I had my first double tape TF which is the Takara DotM Optimus / Jetfire leader. It drove me nuts as i bought it from an internet seller, good thing there were lots of shops in Manila that imported that one and i was able to check all of them were double taped. I dont mind it as long as it is cut properly and resealed.

Just out of curiosity, why is this an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why is this an issue?
    Double taping of the box clamshell may imply that the figure is not brand new. This could upset a MISB collector (eg Meister as he stated in his opening post) since they can no longer claim it is MISB and as such would expect it to sell for less than if it was single taped. It could also annoy those looking to open it since they may take that as a sign that it is second hand.

Is the RRP for double-taped figures less than that for single-taped figures?
    Also, if a person is the first to purchase and own a toy from a retail source, then it's not second hand, is it? So long as a person isn't selling a toy for less than what they purchased it for then they can't be making a loss. And if you are the first to own the toy after initial retail purchase the it's a first-hand purchase.

Not meaning to sound facetious, just trying to understand this. I do understand the desire to not want to pay full price for something that isn't brand new though. I agree that any toy that isn't MISB isn't worth full quid, and this is something that I found disagreeable about the MPMs sold at Zing! stores here. But in this case the toys that I saw in store didn't just have their boxes opened, they were handled and transformed by staff for display purposes. They were essentially selling ex display items, which I think ought to be sold for cheaper. Hence skipping those toys was easy peasy for me.

Do double taped toys stand a better chance of not having both tapes naturally run out of stick in time? Because in 1998 I got a second Transmetal Optimus Primal -- from the USA (and was a slightly different variant than the one we had released here). But a few years ago one of the pieces of sticky tape that kept the toy sealed just naturally fell off, so technically my toy isn't MISB despite the fact that I have never opened this toy. Even after the tape fell off I didn't open the box to peek inside; it's still unopened. But I suppose without that piece of tape there's no way that I could absolutely prove it. But still... if I wanted to sell this toy for the equivalent price of a Voyager Class figure today (say around $50), would I be able to sell it for such or would people insist on paying less because that bit of sticky tape came off?

I suppose if this sort of thing bothers a buyer then it might be better to source toys from sellers that indicate if a toy is double taped or not (e.g. Mandarake).

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    In fact I've read that someone was able to get an AFA grading on a double taped MP so hopefully that's of some comfort.
    AFA have really lowered their requirements in what they consider MISB. It's very frustrating really.

Is the RRP for double-taped figures less than that for single-taped figures?
    You need to stop thinking about it in terms of RRP. Yes some purchase for flipping purposes however there are a lot who don't. Remember we're collectors.
    Also, if a person is the first to purchase and own a toy from a retail source, then it's not second hand, is it? So long as a person isn't selling a toy for less than what they purchased it for then they can't be making a loss. And if you are the first to own the toy after initial retail purchase the it's a first-hand purchase.
    There is no way of telling now is there? It could have been a returned product for all the customer knows.

Also, if you take pride in having a MISB collection, it's akin to having a loose collection with a KO Mirage, he looks the same, no one really knows it's not unless you investigate closely, so why does it matter (remember we aren't talking about any financial implications here)?

It matters because the collector knows and their collection feels incomplete.

Do double taped toys stand a better chance of not having both tapes naturally run out of stick in time? Because in 1998 I got a second Transmetal Optimus Primal -- from the USA (and was a slightly different variant than the one we had released here). But a few years ago one of the pieces of sticky tape that kept the toy sealed just naturally fell off, so technically my toy isn't MISB despite the fact that I have never opened this toy. Even after the tape fell off I didn't open the box to peek inside; it's still unopened. But I suppose without that piece of tape there's no way that I could absolutely prove it. But still... if I wanted to sell this toy for the equivalent price of a Voyager Class figure today (say around $50), would I be able to sell it for such or would people insist on paying less because that bit of sticky tape came off?
    Double tape does not guarantee that it will hold better.

As for your example, it will depend entirely on the collector. some will look past it and purchase, others, like myself wouldn't buy it no matter how much you're asking for it. It simply isn't an MISB any more, the "S" standing for Sealed, not closed after all.

Also correct. There is no way for you to prove it. If you had the item AFA'd prior to the tape popping, then you'd probably have a better chance.

Hope this helps.

Getting a toy directly from a retailer - i.e. non-second hand sale, would guarantee that the toy isn't second hand. If it has been opened then it would have been done so by the manufacturer, not the retailer or another customer. But it's still effectively sealed; it's just that for some reason the toy has been resealed, but it was done at the point of manufacture. Remember that none of us will be the first person to touch the toy as the toy has been touched by many hands during assembly and packaging anyway.

But I suppose if single tape really matters that much, then there must be other ways around it. If I were fussed about this I would find a friend who's not a sealed collector and make a prior arrangement each time we order the same toy (but preferably not order from the same source) to swap the toy should mine be double taped and my friend's be not double taped. And if we both have double-taped toys then just hold onto the the double-taped one but put out a "Want To Trade" notice to fans looking for anyone with a single-taped toy to swap. Now it would be really important that I would pre-order these toys and get them as soon as possible, because if I do need to trade it then I need to basically alert other collectors before they go and open their toys. Because for a loose collector we wouldn't give a hoot either way.

For example, I'm going to pre-order MP Hound ASAP. Now let's say a MISB collector insists on having theirs single taped. That person might pre-order the toy and pay for express shipping, and if it arrives double taped, I might agree to swap mine with theirs if mine arrives single taped. This agreement would need to be made ASAP because I'm gonna be cracking Hound open the moment it arrives! But if I have a prior arrangement to swap it with someone else should mine be single taped, then I might hold off.

Quote Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
    You need to stop thinking about it in terms of RRP. Yes some purchase for flipping purposes however there are a lot who don't. Remember we're collectors.
    As collectors who never intend on selling our toys, who cares how much the toys are selling for on the secondary market? And as I said, even if you do take the option to sell it, financially/mathematically speaking as long as you don't sell it for less than what you paid for then you're not making a loss.

But yeah, if people insist on having single-taped figures then I suppose there are measures they can take to help get it. Worse case scenario, just hang onto that toy as a place-holder until you can find a single-taped toy, then either do a direct exchange or sell off your initial double-taped figure. Unless you're selling it for less than what you paid then you're making zero loss.

Getting a toy directly from a retailer - i.e. non-second hand sale, would guarantee that the toy isn't second hand.
    No it doesn't, which is why it is a big issue here - if the toy has been swapped out for a knock off or a defective toy, it may not be noticed until it is too late... and is an unnecessary hassle if it is noticed.
    If you bought it from a physical store, remember that most retailers here take back items for refunds, and even though we've seen how damaged those returned toys can be (or be replaced with a completely different toy), someone could have damaged the toy or replaced it with a knock off.
    Or, if bought/pre-ordered from an online store, most sell second-hand toys (which includes sealed, and alleged sealed toys), and many smaller businesses are run by collectors who fill out their private collections with their own stock, and who knows if some are even swapping out their old toys with newer ones (like people who have returned toys to a retailer for a refund, replacing the toy with the earlier release that they already bought due to better colours or fixed engineering issues).

And as people have noted, there are those who only buy sealed toys to have them on display sealed, as people do with non-action figure statues... as well as those who keep certain expensive or rare figures sealed, to maintain the higher value that sealed toys have*, in case they need to sell part/all of their collection.
    Not everyone is like you and I, intending to die with their collection. How many people do you still know from the first year or two of this community are still fans with their collection intact.... it means the toys with better value (the sealed ones) are a better investment.

* no sane person would claim that a sealed toy has the same "RRP" or resale value as an out-of-packaging toy. The whole point of prioritising sealed toys (for me) is to almost guarantee (outside of factory QC issues) that it is a legit toy, it has all its accessories, and that it isn't damaged. Once a box has been opened (resealed or not), you can't guarantee that... you can't risk as much money on that possibility. And you can't rely on "consumer protection", demanding refunds... even in Australia. Just look at Premium Collectables - a registered business that is bound by Consumer Law, but didn't... so is now facing court. And in general in Australia, Consumer Protection refunds do not cover second hand goods... and it wording on a listing has allowed for a double-taped toy to be deemed a second hand toy, you have no recompense if it does end up being damaged or a knock-off.
    When I got the POTP Predaking from OhMyPrimus (from Singapore), the box tape had been roughly cut - that had me worried because that online store sells second hand toys, loose toys, and unlicensed toys (maybe even KOs). And what if something inside had been damaged or obviously swapped out - the online store may be decent enough to do an exchange, but should you really have to go through all that extra time and effort, waiting another 3-4 weeks for your toys.... when it could all have been prevented if they had made sure that the items they were shipping out were still sealed.

BTW, when someone is posting questions here, desperately needing help with something important, people need to focus on answering that request, and be careful not get side-tracked with their opinions or beliefs about the subject matter.