Thread: G1 Smokescreen elbow fix

Default G1 Smokescreen elbow fix

So on the second transformation of this just opened G1 reissue, the plastic on the elbow has cracked as shown. The plastic has now completely broken off.

So I need to disassemble the arm (it's in two halves) so I can glue the plastic back together, put the arm back in and then reassemble. Note I've just been able to remove the Philips screw next the wheel but the arm is still being held together by the wheel. There are no other screws to remove.

Does anyone know how to remove the wheel to allow for the arm to be completely disassembled? Thanks for any assistance.

It looks to me like that pin behind the wheel might be a "one way" type, so it goes in without being able to slip out easily. If you absolutely must remove it, get a soldering iron (cheap is fine) and when it's hot, put the tip on the flat part of the pin (on the other side from the wheel). Be super careful to not allow the hot iron near the surrounding plastic as it will mark it, if not melt it a bit, even at the slightest touch.

The idea is that the iron heats the pin, which softens the plastic around it, enough to remove the pin/wheel. It shouldn't take more than a 30-60 seconds of contact. You don't want it to sit on there too long, because the hole around the pin could become too loose to sustain the pin and wheel when you reassemble (which can still happen no matter how careful you are - it's definitely a risk you will have to take if you want it out).

I suggest while you're holding the iron to the pin, you gently pull at the wheel until it starts to give. You will more than likely have to remove the wheel first and then push the pin out from the wheel side.

It is not an easy job. Frustrating for a newly opened toy.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

solid advice.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by M-bot View Post
    It looks to me like that pin behind the wheel might be a "one way" type, so it goes in without being able to slip out easily. If you absolutely must remove it, get a soldering iron (cheap is fine) and when it's hot, put the tip on the flat part of the pin (on the other side from the wheel). Be super careful to not allow the hot iron near the surrounding plastic as it will mark it, if not melt it a bit, even at the slightest touch.

The idea is that the iron heats the pin, which softens the plastic around it, enough to remove the pin/wheel. It shouldn't take more than a 30-60 seconds of contact. You don't want it to sit on there too long, because the hole around the pin could become too loose to sustain the pin and wheel when you reassemble (which can still happen no matter how careful you are - it's definitely a risk you will have to take if you want it out).

I suggest while you're holding the iron to the pin, you gently pull at the wheel until it starts to give. You will more than likely have to remove the wheel first and then push the pin out from the wheel side.

It is not an easy job. Frustrating for a newly opened toy.
    Many thanks for the assistance mate. Will give it a go this weekend, my brother-in-law has a soldering iron.

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    Many thanks for the assistance mate. Will give it a go this weekend, my brother-in-law has a soldering iron.
    Good luck mate!! Let us know how you get along.

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms

Quote Originally Posted by M-bot View Post
    Good luck mate!! Let us know how you get along.
    No luck today unfortunately mate. Had the soldering iron on for quite a while but nothing was coming apart. Oh well, will just leave it in car mode for the time being. Thanks again for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    No luck today unfortunately mate. Had the soldering iron on for quite a while but nothing was coming apart. Oh well, will just leave it in car mode for the time being. Thanks again for the help.
    Damn. Sorry to hear it didn't work.

Is your concern about gluing it whilst is on the joint is that the glue might stick to the elbow joint and glue the joint shut so it cannot move? If so you could try a 5 sec fix liquid plastic pen instead. You apply a small bit of the glue over the top of the plastic and use an ultra violet light to harden it in seconds. Less chance of accidentally having the glue seep into the joint.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider View Post
    Is your concern about gluing it whilst is on the joint is that the glue might stick to the elbow joint and glue the joint shut so it cannot move? If so you could try a 5 sec fix liquid plastic pen instead. You apply a small bit of the glue over the top of the plastic and use an ultra violet light to harden it in seconds. Less chance of accidentally having the glue seep into the joint.
    Yes I tried to glue it but the arm was getting stuck each time, that's why I wanted to pull it all apart. Thanks for the idea, I'll give it a try.