View Poll Results: GEN-15 VOY Optimus - worth buying?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 42.11%
  • Only if...

3 15.79%
  • Not worth it

1 5.26%
  • Not even interested

7 36.84%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - GEN-15 VOY Optimus Prime (combiner)

Megatran Guest

I don't own one but the painted windscreen is offputting.

I find the head a little small in robot mode, but otherwise he is a really strong, big beefy looking Prime. Nice, if atypical colour scheme, the sides of the midsection I find look really good too.

Transformation is easy, intuitive and everything snaps into place in both modes well.

I like the alt mode, a very strong thick cab with a sleeper on the back, I like how you can put the guns on the back as well. The windows at the side look a little weird however.

I wasn't originally going to get this figure as I'm not a fan of the Prime-combining thing but since the original RID and then Armada I've found it makes for some cool toys so relented and got him. Overall a nice figure that is worth the (current) price tag

Here's my video review of the Combiner Wars Optimus Prime.

http://youtu.be/m9tyxeOc4Cc

Being my first TF Generations figure, this is a pretty decent start! Hope you can check it out

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    I don't own one but the painted windscreen is offputting.
    I find the unpainted Hasbro grey chunk of plastic where the rear view mirrors/windows are, very off putting.

I'm hoping there are some Reprolabels coming to fix that. The plastic in use on those spots looks to be the "unpaintable" type HasTak have mentioned in the past

Ordered mine after re-reading Dark Cybertron. He looks surprisingly like Livio's model.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by prjkt View Post
    I'm hoping there are some Reprolabels coming to fix that. The plastic in use on those spots looks to be the "unpaintable" type HasTak have mentioned in the past
    If you don't fancy going the Reprolabels route, you should be able to get some paints to stick to it. Unpaintable plastic isn't actually completely unpaintable; it's just unpaintable with the type of paint that Hasbro's factories use.

Got mine yesterday. Love it. Big, chunky Optimus Prime toy who is more than ready to take up leadership of my CHUG Autobots. I'm not the greatest fan of the backpack but understand it needs to be there for combiner mode (in alt mode I think of it as a "sleeper" portion of the cab). Also he has weird elbows. But he looks and feels heroic with great sculpting and paint. In person the head is not too small at all and the combining weapon is a nice touch. Highly recommended.

ETA, rather than having three Zommael posts in a row: I've just noticed that Optimus Prime has five faces; two heads, two Autobot symols, and his back sort of looks like a face too. Is this an intentional reference to the G1 episode Five Faces of Darkness, or just a weird coincidence?
    Last edited by Zommael; 10th March 2015 at 04:28 PM.

this is going to be a little of a retrospective review. Now I've had the guy for almost half a year now, I'm liking him more and more. I did go the Reprolabels route as I suggested I would earlier, but even without them, I'm still quite happy.

He's big, beefy, and stands a full head taller than Classics OP (Classics OP's head just reaches the top of CW OP's shoulders) - who says our figures are getting smaller?
    Simpler, yes, but since the FOC/T30 lines we seem to have a reversion in figure sizes, trading complexity for something a little bigger. I'm OK with that.

I'll admit, he's not exactly "Geewun" - but Classics Prime has that covered pretty well - this is a new facet, and while he's not exactly IDW in design (unless that changes after the recent happenings) he does give off an air of being someone you don't want to mess with. and is much more imposing vs other Classics-verse voyager and deluxe figures, much more so then the Classics version. And while not quite tall enough to look Leader Megs in the face, seems like he'd have a much better chance of it than the Classics version to come out on top.

His main draw-back is the combiner bits, that cod piece and backpack enclosing the combiner head (which looks amusing in place of the normal head in bot mode) but as they only really affect his silhouette if looking from the front, I can deal.

To summarise, this might not be the be all and end all G1 version of Optimus Prime (that title belongs to MP10) he's a great evolution of the almost immortal Autobot leader and may just take Prime position (hehe) in my Classics-verse collection if I don't end up getting his combiner limbs.

P.S. I currently have in front of me all in a row, Gen. Orion Pax, Evolutions "1984" OP and CW OP - looks like a timeline/evolution progression.

Optimus Prime is awesome.

His vehicle mode is HUUUUUGGGGGGEEEEEE! Compared to Evasion Mode OP's vehicle mode, it is awesome. It is a lot wider and only a bit longer. I don't get the hate for this mode? However I don't like how his legs clip together with the front of the cab.

Robot mode is less 'Heroic Optimus Prime' like Classics Prime, but more 'Original Optimus Prime' like the G1 Toy/Cartoon Model. It isn't tall, but wide and boxy. Beefcake is the right of all sentient beings!

Combined mode is where he shines... He is awesome! This in my opinion looks better then Menasor/Motormaster combined mode. His head sculpt is amazing, the only let down is the crappy Blackjack/Rodimus holdy hole.

9/10. I like him, and he is only $30 at TRU ATM
    "Save the rebellion! Save the dream!" - Saw Gerrera